Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Place of reflection

edited June 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I have this spot in my room where i meditate, light incense, concentrate on an image of the Dalai Lama (so that i can remind myself of all the righteous and compassionate things that he's done and is doing) and a couple of small statuettes of the Buddha. But I feel as though there's something missing from my "altar". Can anyone suggest something, like chants or rituals that they use, or have maybe heard of? I feel kind of lost here...not sure what im really supposed to include in or at my altar...

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    A chant that I recite is:

Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammasambuddhasa

Roughly translated:

Honor to the blessed one, the worthy one, the fully enlightened one.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I really don't know what ought to be in a personal shrine.

My own 'prayer table' changes almost daily. Part of my preparation is to clean and 'lay' the table. Mindfully choosing among all the various items I have collected over the years and placing them together in a special place brings a sense of ceremony to the time.

Today, for example, I have an old, chipped staue of the Buddha Shakyamuni, a small Christian diptych (present from HHDL) and a statuette of the Great Mother made by one of my late wife's friends. Behind them, is a thangka of Avalokiteshvara. I went out and found a white rose, which I have placed in front of the three objects. Today, the air is sweet so that I did not light incense nor candles because the sun is a blessing. Having cleaned and prepared the space, I can step into it, barefott and reverent, as if it were the finest temple in all the millions of worlds.
    edited June 2005
    the finest temple in all the millions of worlds.

And it is :D
  • edited June 2005
    I am very new to meditation, but I have read that some people also put up pictures of family members and other things that they are grateful for. I have not made my "altar" yet, but am working on it!
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I meditate alittle throughout the day but my real focused deep meditation is at work. I taje a chair and put it next the table I do my prep on everynight. I sit down and I meditate with all the noise of everyone working and all th ephones and humming of the frezzers and the oven and I just block it all out. I do this at work because my job is the main suffering in my life. I beleive that I am my own altar. After I am done meditating I can clock in and start focusing on my night at work.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I beleive that I am my own altar.

Comic, you've done it again.... come up with those few words tht put it all into perspective.... very insightful of you.....deep bow 'ghasso' to you..... :)
    edited June 2005
    <Bows back /a> the little "/a" is my Kung Fu bow. The treasure in the hand. I have never read any kind of book on Buddhism. I kind of believe that if we read what others have thought of it taints out perceptions and out own thoughts. Not that I won't ever read what others have done or thought. I am just not ready yet. I read what others say here and I think that is enough mixture into my own ideas. But a philosophy teacher friend of mine in Cyprus told me that it doesn't matter where the idea came from. The idea is what matters. I thank everyone for their help. There's my acceptance speech. LOL
  • edited June 2005
    All are beautiful responses...I believe maybe i could make several altars...like MYSELF...my own meditation place in my room...some other important place...thank you all for getting my mental juices flowing!!!
    edited June 2005
    Just don't spill the juices. :)
  • edited June 2005
    lol...ill try not to!
  • edited June 2005
    federica wrote:
    Comic, you've done it again.... come up with those few words tht put it all into perspective.... very insightful of you.....deep bow 'ghasso' to you..... :)

I have seen the word "ghasso" on here a few times. What does that mean exactly? :confused: Gosh, I am so new with SO many questions, aren't I??
    edited June 2005
    don't worry, I don't know what it means either :p
  • edited June 2005
    AHA! I found this on the internet:

"Ghasso is a Japanese Buddhist term for the act of putting the palms of your hands together in a sign of respect and gratitude. "
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Comic you amaze me. You rock. Truly.
    edited June 2005
    Well thank you. :D :bowdown: