Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

animal job dilemma

edited October 2008 in Buddhism Basics
I've just been looking for a new job at the local recruitment agency and they had a job that sounds perfect for me except for one thing - the company makes animal cages for cancer research. I guess it's not as bad as cosmetic testing and I wouldn't even be involved in the actual manufacture, but, even so, I feel very uncomfortable about the prospect of working there. However, in these times of economic crisis, beggars can't exactly afford to be choosers.

Would be very grateful for any advice.

Comments

• edited October 2008
    We're all involved in samsara, just trying to avoid as much gross stuff as possible. Nowadays, if you work for a company, the company may be a subsidiary of another company that's mainly owned by a financial institute which is part of a portfolio of companies belonging to a global corporation etc. etc.

Will they all be ethical?

Sounds like you're keen on the job and that you may be right for it. Even if you don't stay there, it could bolster your CV.

Just a few random thoughts.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2008
    I agree with Sri, Windwalker.

It's impossible to live in samsara and avoid everything distasteful or ethically iffy. Do your best while being mindful and wise. If the job turns out to be more ethically challenged than you're willing to live with, move on. But I hope it turns out to be a good fit for you and you experience good things along with more financial stability.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2008
    You can even put things another way.

We are all complicit in the oppression and criminality of a system in which the billions of dollars from the drug traffic are 'washed' through the whole economy - an even more wicked trade than animal experimentation. No matter what job we get, or even if we live (as I try to do) on the dole called a 'pension', our income will be tainted by this money. No way to escape it when you consider the size of the profits.

I say "complicit" because we deliberately ignore or deny this fact. The reasons are obvious: if there is no escape, we have to endure it and, as others have said, try to act as ethically as possible. Once we have taken on board that our wages are - in part at least - the result of the misery of millions of our fellow beings, it becomes incumbent on us to live evn more mindfully and to strive with greater effort to walk the Noble Eighfold Path.
  • edited October 2008
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've just been told I didn't get the job anyway but I still have fingers in a few more pies. Better luck next time :)

Namaste x
  • edited October 2008
    I'm certain that this won't be the only time one has to examine one's ethics. I've got it pretty cushy compared to most. I work at Walmart (considered by some to be a Great Evil), and sell fabric that has probably been produced by children in the Third World and maybe, even, in bad circumstances. There are plenty of people that I live with that look down their nose at me for working there....'WE don't shop there.'

All I can do is acknowledge the situation, and every day remind myself to be grateful for the opportunity to work, to help others with their needs, and to ensure that the fabric is not wasted. Every time I cut the fabric, I read the end label that states 'Of Undetermined Origin'...and I throw a prayer out there...and mindfully cut, cut, cut. I ask customers about their plans for this piece of fabric...where will it go...what will it be...and give advice and well wishes for the project.
  • edited October 2008
    harlan wrote: »
    There are plenty of people that I live with that look down their nose at me for working there....'WE don't shop there.'

There are some people on some pretty high horses out there.
  • edited October 2008
    harlan wrote: »
    There are plenty of people that I live with that look down their nose at me for working there....'WE don't shop there.'

I used to get the same thing when I worked in the DIY store. People would come in and automatically they would treat you like you're some pathetic brain-dead loser.

I used to love the look on their faces when I turned round and started speaking French or quoting philosophy, lol