Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Remembrancetide

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited November 2008 in Buddhism Today
Sunshine and showers at our local war memorial today. Nobody in the young honour guard fainted - this year! The local Christian Dean droned as always and the cadet corps marching was a bit ragged.

It's very easy to mock the Remembrance Sunday memorials - I've done it myself. But I have also spent enough time with both active and retired military to know them as people.

So Remembrancetide has always presented me with a challenge. At 20 years old, my father was wounded on the Somme. He was doubly lucky: it was a 'Blighty' wound (meaning he was sent home to England) and he survived. My Uncle Jack was in Burma with Bill Slim in the 'Second Show'. The 1914-1945 conflicts are part of my family's shape. We wore poppies around Novenber 11 and were taught to take off our caps when passing a war memorial. We learned the smell and taste of sorrow and waste.

As a result, like so many of my contemporaries, I embraced pacifism and carried on attending the November 11th services. My pacfist friends continue to fail to understand. For them, the memorials and the services simply 'glorify war' and should be boycotted.

For me, they are an appropriate response, like the Holocaust memorials: a reminder and a time for reflection on what it could mean to be faced with that terrible choice. The more I learn about the life in the front lines, the more I believe that, like Isaac Rosenberg, many of those names on our memorials denote pacifists who had no other choice.

And, of course, the social anthropologist in me approves of ceremonies for the dead at around this time of year.

Comments

• edited November 2008
    Like you, dear Pilgrim, I have very mixed feelings about this time of year. While I honour the young people sent to their deaths over the decades, I abhor war and voilence. I choose to wear the white Peace Poppy, carrying the message of respect but above all, of an unwillingness to repeat the experience.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2008
    I'm with you both on this. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a white poppy pin. I'll be in my nation's capitol, Ottawa, on Tuesday so I'll look around for some. That's exactly the kind of thing I could support and wear with a clear conscience.
  • edited November 2008
    If you are interested Boo and if you have difficulty buying one, try this website

http://www.ppu.org.uk/poppy/index.html

It might be too late for this year but OK for next - I bought mine at the Quaker Meeting hall in Glasgow when I was over there last week - maybe approach your local Quakers?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2008
    I wear both, which confuses everybody!!!!
  • edited November 2008
    I always have mixed feelings about this issue. I still don't feel that the public are willing to face up to the complete picture, it would not sit comfortably with our own prejudices and national myths.

So, very mixed feelings and very concerned for our lads in Afganistan and Iraq.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2008
    "it's nearly time we had a little less respect for the dead, an' a little more regard for the living."

Sean O'Casey.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2008
    I feel that war is a great teacher, much as death is. The deaths of so many brave young men (and women), regardless of their motivations, reminds us that there is no refuge in samsara. We all live at the whim of our own karma that we ourselves have created, and our lives could come to an abrupt halt at any instant. So no, I don't have any problem with remembering the dead on what we call on the other side of the pond Veterans Day. They also are our teachers.

Right now I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy (No Country for Old Men). It is set in a stunningly bleak post-apocalyptic world where nearly everyone and everything is dead, yet still the human spirit continues. It is both horrifying and inspiring at the same time. I think it points out the truth that we learn and grow the most in the worst of times, not the best.

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2008
    Palzang wrote: »

Right now I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy (No Country for Old Men). It is set in a stunningly bleak post-apocalyptic world where nearly everyone and everything is dead, yet still the human spirit continues. It is both horrifying and inspiring at the same time. I think it points out the truth that we learn and grow the most in the worst of times, not the best.

Palzang

I read The Road straight after reading Jim Crace's The Pesthouse which treats a similar subject. I would strongly recommend it. And I sha'n't spoil the ending of the McCarthy for you but I'll be interested to hear what you thought of it (the ending, I mean).