Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do I truly deserve the nickname "Stumblina"?

JerbearJerbear Veteran
edited December 2008 in General Banter
For the holiday that Americans celeberate to remind the Indians that we took their land and made it ours, we went to my "in thoughts" (not in-laws cuz I love them more than most people love their in-laws and there is no legal connection). Papa was looking really down in the dumps and I suggested to Michael we stay another day to make Papa feel better. I took a shower and fell in the bathroom. Now as some may remember, I've had a previous back injury. I went to the ER and was examined and I sprained it really good and have had to just sit around and do nothing for days. I may have to have another MRI if things don't improve. Not that any of this is a big surprise to me.

Saw my family doc the other day, and am in still a great deal of pain. I am trying to not grade my pain but just let it be what it is. In nursing, some kind hearted sould will say "Rate your pain on a scale from 1-10, 1 being the least and 10 being the worst." I find that makes it worse. I prefer "It is pain and thought the intensity changes, it will not rule my life". When it gets really bad, I will take something for it.

But back to the title. I have always been a klutz! It started at adolescence when I shot up 6-10 inches in less than 2 years. It was difficult and I never have been one that you could call graceful physically, but mentally I am sharp as can be. So, should I just accept that I'm a klutz and move on, or try to improve my ability to move once this injury heals? I was thinking I could make a really cute outfit to wear. Palzang could give his input. Plus you ladies would be welcome also. The tiara could be cute and I could possibly get a wand/scepter. Or I could just buy a wheel chair and not get out of it? Hopefully in a few days I will be back to normal but thought I would think of something humorous to say about it because so far it's not been funny one bit. After reading the other posts, I really don't feel I have the right to whine about anything. Hope all had a good weekend/ "Indian Desecration" Day or Thursday in countries who don't celebrate Thanksgiving!

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    I think something flouncy with some pert pumps would work!

Palzang
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Palzang wrote: »
    I think something flouncy with some pert pumps would work!

Palzang

Thanks, but finding 12EEE in Men's is tough enough. If you know where to look, let me know. And if I could also have something spraying dust out the back them might help too!
  • edited December 2008
    What about the gear that American Footballers wear? Plenty of protection there.
  • edited December 2008
    Me too Jer - terminally clumsy. Just don't see things and walk into them or fall over them.

I can only suggest what others have offered me - miner's helmet with outsize light so you might see things before you slip on them, para boots to protect your ankles, skateboarders knee and elbow pads and perhaps, given your back problem, an armed response team's body armour so you don't hurt your back when you inevitably DO go over.

All in a tasteful lime green fluorescent perhaps so people don't knock you over?
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    "All in a tasteful lime green fluorescent perhaps so people don't knock you over?" -Knitwitch

Forest Green is my favorite colour. But I think Sri may be closer to the mark. I would wear a full football player uniform. I would confuse so many people! ;)
  • edited December 2008
    After I posted, I got thinking of that YMCA song. ;-)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    srivijaya wrote: »
    After I posted, I got thinking of that YMCA song. ;-)

I am required as a member of the friends of Dorothy club to know all the words and dance moves to that song also. But since I look more like a line backer than a quarterback, I would have to figure out some interesting dance moves. Moving from one foot to the other is about the best that I can do.

Thanks for jumping in gang and helping me laugh about this. I am able to get up from a sitting position by myself today. I was also able to get out of bed Things you take for granted when you can do it without difficulty.
  • edited December 2008
    Well hey join the gang Jer - since my op I have to be very careful how I stand up, sit down, get on and off the bed and generally move around. It isn't my back, it is my lady bits that are screaming "Careful, careful, watch what you are doing woman!"

I LOVE the Village People - I will never forget getting up to do "In the Navy" at a Karaoke party with three other Brits, two of whom had been in the Navy, hence our choice. Unfortunately the DJ couldn't find that one so we ended up doing our own version of YMCA much to the embarrassement of two elderly retired Naval officers.
  • edited December 2008
    I really think if you go with Hockey gear you will be way way safer. You can get optically correct face shields. The shin guards, elbow pads and chest protectors are way more heavy duty. For extreme cases you might want to consider Goalie equipment. And please, do not forget to have a proper mouth piece made at your dentist it will help save you from concussions when falling down and hitting your head.
    And I'm pretty sure you can get these items in about any color and I know you can get the mouth piece to match.....

I'm sorry you hurt your back Jer ........I do hope you feel better soon!

Knitwitch....hang in there.......just keep moving carefully.....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    You fell?? Again??!!??

Holy crap, Jer!!

What are we going to do with you?

Oh, Jer, I'm hoping and praying you're going to heal really, really fast and even though I know you've already had surgery for the last fall, I hope this fall jars loose whatever was still causing you pain after the surgery, miraculously curing you of all your pain.

By the way, I've pretty much stopped calling it 'pain' when I refer to it myself. I usually just call it 'sensation' now. Taking the label away helps amazingly. It's always the little obvious things, isn't it?

All my love to you and your poor old broken up back.