Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Beginning Anew

edited December 2008 in Sanghas
Hello, Sangha.

I know that I am new here, and I know too that I have not made a very good entrance. In light of the posts on “Seeking Donations,” as well as some private messages exchanged, I feel that I should take the first step in Beginning Anew, following Thich Nhat Hanh’s guidelines for the practice.

I would first like to share my regret for being unskillful in my posts. I did not use Right Speech.

“Aware that lack of communication always brings separation and suffering, I am committed to training myself in the practice of compassionate listening and loving speech. I will learn to listen deeply without judging or reacting and refrain from uttering words that can create discord or cause the community to break. I will make every effort to keep communications open and to reconcile and resolve all conflicts, however small.”

-The Eighth Mindfulness Training of the Order of Interbeing

I renew my vow here before the sangha to do my best to learn about and practice this precept in the future.

I would now like to apologize to the community, and specifically to Jerbear and Knitwitch, for not speaking skillfully. I am deeply sorry.

On Beginning Anew (source: plumvillage.org)

To Begin Anew is to look deeply and honestly at ourselves, our past actions, speech and thoughts and to create a fresh beginning within ourselves and in our relationships with others. We practice Beginning Anew to clear our mind and keep our practice fresh. The practice of Beginning Anew helps us develop our kind speech and compassionate listening. When a difficulty arises in our relationships with fellow practitioners and one of us feels resentment or hurt, we know it is time to Begin Anew.

1) Flower watering - This is a chance to share our appreciation for the other person. We may mention specific instances that the other person said or did something that we had admired. This is an opportunity to shine light on the other’s strengths and contributions to the sangha and to encourage the growth of his or her positive qualities.

2) Sharing regrets - We may mention any unskillfulness in our actions, speech or thoughts that we have not yet had an opportunity to apologize for.

3) Expressing a hurt - We may share how we felt hurt by an interaction with another practitioner, due to his or her actions, speech or thoughts. To express a hurt we should first water the other person’s flower by sharing positive qualities that we have truly observed in him or her.

4) Sharing a long-term difficulty & asking for support - At times we each have difficulties and pain arise from our past that surface in the present. When we share an issue that we are dealing with we can let the people around us understand us better and offer the support that we really need.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2008
    Laura,

To begin with, welcome to the forum. That being said, there is no need to apologize, you have done nothing wrong. We are all relatively friendly here, and while it looks to me that Jerbear and Knitwitch were just giving you some sound advice, there will always be those in life who see things differently and, as a consequence, disagree with you, but do not let that discourage you from following your heart or speaking your mind.

Jason
  • edited December 2008
    Thank you, Jason. I just felt that I was misunderstood and did not make the impression I had wanted.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2008
    Laura,
    TwoHands wrote: »
    Thank you, Jason. I just felt that I was misunderstood and did not make the impression I had wanted.

For what it's worth, I think we're all a bit misunderstood, plus we seldom make the impressions we want.

Jason
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Laura,
    I was not offended or harmed by what you said. I was speaking from experience of living in a religious community. It is not for most. After 2 years, I was so glad to be away from it as it was extremely strict. I thought this particular community was an answer to a lot of prayers. I did learn alot, but found that it was not the answer I was looking for in the long run. I know that I would be quite angry with myself if I had said nothing and you had found it wasn't the right answer for you. You must live with your own decisions and ultimately they are yours to make.

Something has come to mind. Have you done any retreats? That would be a taste of monastic life without making a huge financial commitment and learning what it is like. From some of the requirements I've read for some of them, there are plenty of things one can not do or bring to them. It would give you a taste of what it would be like. There is a part of me that would love to do one. There is also another part of me that is not sure if I could do it d/t physical problems.

I truly hope that you find the answer to this situation that is both fruitful and bares the dharma in you.
  • edited December 2008
    I was just worried that I had upset the community by posting a request for money -- I know that it's a fine line that I walked in posting that request. I truly did appreciate your advice -- it gave me a lot to consider and think about and reconsider. And now that you mention a retreat, I will definitely look into attending one at Blue Cliff Monastery, which is in Thay's tradition and located in New York, not so far from me, and I have family there on Long Island. Thank you for your understanding.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2008
    I was just worried that I had upset the community by posting a request for money
    It takes considerably more force to rock this boat. ;)

...what, with buddhafoot playing the part of anchor and all... :lol: :poke:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Well, I could put on my favorite death metal albums if you like. Amon Amarth's new one is killer!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2008
    I was just worried that I had upset the community by posting a request for money -- I know that it's a fine line that I walked in posting that request. I truly did appreciate your advice -- it gave me a lot to consider and think about and reconsider. And now that you mention a retreat, I will definitely look into attending one at Blue Cliff Monastery, which is in Thay's tradition and located in New York, not so far from me, and I have family there on Long Island. Thank you for your understanding.

We do understand and we are the sort of group that is interested and caring.

Personally, I would really value your 'using' this group as a sort of blog of this journey of yours, whatever you decide, however you worry about it and whenever you have a celebration to share.

And, as you may have noticed, we have a few people here with quite a lot of experience. They may recommend ideas that have not occurred to you and we may be of some small help. This would bring us great merit too so it's win-win.
  • edited December 2008
    That sounds great, Simon -- I'll do my best!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Plus were fun to boot!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2008

This is hardly surprising.
    The main aspect, and greater component of Effective Communication, is and always has been, Body Language.

I might be mistaken, but that's quite a hard one to convey in writing on a forum....

I'm sure it would all have been far easier if we could all have sat on the verandah (this 'house has one) sipping hot raspberry-flavoured green tea, munching on some shortbread, and watching the dogs play in the huge garden.

See?
    I'm building a picture.
    It's not Body Language, but it's the best I can do! :D :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2008
    That's very true. I found that tone was a big part of it as well. A piece of writing can be given tone, but as I remember from debates in English class in high school, it's not always obvious. The smilies help to a certain extent. :D
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Smilies ( ;) ) but then sometimes it doesn't matter if it's a sensitive subject. Just know that most of us are trying to be kind. As my email messages have the message ender "To do kindness is my religion" (Yeah, I stole it from HHDL), that's the goal for most of us.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Hi, TwoHands.

Welcome to the board! It's lovely to meet you.

My greatest wish is to become a Buddhist nun too, but unfortunately my physical disability prevents that possibility...for now. Maybe I'll be cured one day, who knows?

I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from and I support you 100%. (Wish that could be financial...*sigh* :)) You're determined and steadfast and those qualities, along with flexibility, will bring you to the destination you seek.

You're so young which is wonderful! I'm so happy for you that you've found a way to service at such a young age. I hope it means you'll have a long life in service to the Dhamma and to all sentient beings everywhere.

You also have many, many resources in and around the part of the world in which you live, so take advantage of what you have on your doorstep. Go on retreats, meet other lay followers (when you get to know people you can get lifts in their cars to retreats and Dhamma centres etc.), check out what's on offer. Buddhism is exploding in North America and you're right in the heart of it.

I know your aspirations will become reality because you have great determination and clear sightedness.

Greatest blessings to you, dear sister in the Dhamma.

Love,
    Boo
  • edited December 2008
    Thank you so much, Brigid! I am very touched and deeply honored. I pray with all my strength that your health and well-being improve, and that you will be able to fulfill your beautiful aspiration. I have been corresponding with a nun at Blue Cliff Monastery, and she says, "Oftentimes when something is wanted greatly then things will happen to help it happen." No matter what happens, rest assured that I will carry you, and all here who have given me so much kindness and support and advice, with me in my heart and my practice. Whenever the going gets tough, I'll think of you, and keep going. Thay says that monks and nuns are revolutionaries in the way in which they see the world and choose to act in it, and he also says that the meeting between Buddhism and the West will be -- and is already -- a great event in history. I plan to be at the front line.
  • edited December 2008
    I was just thinking of Brigid's physical disability and Jerry's back and the grief of the man in San Diego who lost his family and the pain of anyone I haven't mentioned and the suffering of people throughout the world, and I would like to offer these prayers.

Just as the soft rains fill the streams,
    pour into the rivers, and join together in the oceans,
    so may the power of every moment of your goodness
    flow forth to awaken and heal all beings –
    those here now, those gone before, and those yet to come.

By the power of every moment of your goodness,
    may your heart's wishes be soon fulfilled
    as completely shining as the bright full moon,
    as magically as by a wish-fulfilling gem.

By the power of every moment of your goodness,
    may all dangers be averted and all disease be gone.
    May no obstacle come across your path.
    May you enjoy fulfillment and long life.

For all in whose heart dwells respect,
    who follow wisdom and compassion,
    may your life prosper.

May all beings everywhere
    plagued with sufferings of body and mind
    quickly be freed from their illnesses.

May those frightened cease to be afraid,
    and may those bound be free.

May the powerless find power,
    and may people think of befriending one another.

May those who find themselves in trackless, fearful wilderness
    be guarded by beneficent celestials,
    and may they swiftly attain Buddhahood.

Source: BeliefNet
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Thank you for that beautiful prayer, TwoHands. How lovely!

I was just reading a collection of teachings by Ajahn Chah in the form of similes this morning and was amazed, as usual, at the effect they had on my mind and mood. The Dhamma makes me feel invincible. I'm so grateful to be able to hear and understand (well, mostly) these teachings and happy for us all to have the Dhamma in our lives.

My big orange tabby, Tom, is snuggled up beside me purring contentedly on this cold, gray winter day and I'm grateful to have him as a friend, too. You wouldn't believe how loud he purrs! It's hilarious. I especially love it when he wraps his two paws around my left arm and squeezes, like he's hugging me. This is one adorable cat and I'm so glad he came to live with us. It's a good day today.
  • edited December 2008
    Aww, Tom sounds so cute! Absolutely adorable! I share my bed, and any other piece of furniture I sit on, with three kitties, two of whom we took in right off the streets. The newest one is a tuxedo cat, and he purrs really loud too. His snoring makes you think there's got to be at least one extra person in the room! He's a good nap buddy because he likes to be held and cuddled like a teddy bear. Ever since he came in, though, he hasn't stopped eating, so we're trying to figure out how to help him slim down a bit. He's vaguely barrel-shaped. And to think we used to be able to scoop him up with one hand...

Give Tom a big hug and a good chin-scratching for me!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Another cat lover!

We have three other cats besides Tom and they all found their way to our farmhouse in the middle of nowhere somehow. We're very grateful they decided to spend their lives with us because they bring the greatest amount of joy, love and hilarity.

Tom's barrel shaped too! Lol! We have to be really careful with his food because he's an over-eater. The other ones aren't. And I'll definitely give Tom a good chin-scratching. That's his favourite thing!

Hugs to you and your cats.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Two,
    Thank you for your kind thoughts. Trying to get better enough to go back to work part/full time. I get too bored staying at home.

Two n' Boo (:))
    I am not a cat lover, but treat them well. As a member of the ASPCA, I hate any animal not being treated well. My partner really is more for me getting a dog than I am, but right now I can't take appropriate care of it. When the time comes, then I will and spoil it rotten. I like "ugly" dogs. Bull dogs, pugs, basset hounds. They all have this face that just says "Love me, please".
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Well, Jer, if you want a nice pit bull, we've got some at Tara's Babies. Just let me know when you're ready.

Palzang
  • edited December 2008
    Or if you are seeking a really nasty pitbull, I am available :eek:

Sorry guys - I have got a bit wound up recently. Two Hands and I have exchanged PMs and understood each other's points of view a lot better. I give her, and all of you, a big hug.

I can only apologise for being a bit OTT and over-reacting. The fact that I have now got some quite severe after effects from my operation are no excuse for being rude to my friends - please excuse and forgive.

It doesn't help that this is a Buddhist site and there are many things that seem obvious and accepted to those of you have taken refuge but are not so clear cut to me. Opportunity for debate ... but not spite. Sorry.

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Much love and hugs right back to you, dear Knitwitch.

I'm hoping with all my heart that the awful after effects of your operation don't last long and that you'll be right as rain as soon as possible.

I sometimes think we in the modern world take surgery somewhat for granted and perhaps view it as being simpler and less prone to complications than it really is. In the past year 5 people I know have had surgery and they've all gone through post-op complications to varying degrees. And now you too, Knitwitch.

Take very good care of yourself and follow the doctor's orders and always know you're on my mind and in my heart with great love and deep respect.

Love,
    Boo
  • edited December 2008
    Thanks Boo - it is not very funny at the moment but I am doing my best to kick myself up the bum and get on with enjoying the Solstice ... I keep reminding myself that are millions of people going through far worse than me and that mine will end ... but sometimes I get really ratty because of it.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    I hear you, Knitwitch. I'm having to do some major sorting out myself regarding my behaviour, especially with my mother, when the pain level rises. Of course I know intellectually that the pain is no excuse but when I get overwhelmed and then frustrated on top of it I lash out, usually at my mum because I know she'll always forgive me. But I hate myself for it. I had to wake her up at 2am the other night to apologize for being such a bitch to her earlier. I couldn't sleep for the guilt and remorse. But I'm working on it and I have a good strategy and things are getting better. It's damned hard but absolutely necessary. I love my mum and the last thing I'd ever want to do is cause her to suffer.

So anyway, no worries my friend.
  • edited December 2008
    Well maybe we are only really nasty to our friends and family because we know in our hearts that they won't smack us in the mouth :lol:

It really is a bummer trying to stay sweet and cheerful when you are in a deal of pain and worrying about what is wrong with you.

Be kind to yourself Boo - I am sure you are never as bad as you think. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Thanks, dear Knitwitch. Love and hugs to you.
  • edited December 2008
    Solstice hugs and blessings to you too.

We had our feast tonight and I imagined all of you sitting around the table with us ... fortunately it is a French farmhouse sized kitchen table so there is plenty of room for everyone.

You all liked my table decoration made with pine sprays and cones with four gold candles around the outside and we toasted each other in Tarragona, my favourite Spanish wine.

May the returning Sun bring Light and love to you all.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Palzang,
    My partner has a phobia about dogs. I'm not sure that a pitbull would be a good choice knowing that, but thanks for the offer.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    To cover everyone
    Happy Chaunukkah
    Merry Christmas
    Happy Kwanzaa
    Blessed Winter Solstice
    Happy Human Light (Humanists, Agnostics, Naturalists)
    Happy Thursday (for anyone who is not covered)
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Ahhhh... another cat lover. Brigid we have more in common than just Macs... I have six cats and a dog. My top cat is a Siamese, Thai Chi (born on my birthday - how's that for Karma) and he rules the roost. I like the play on words with his name. The others all have their pecking order, some are very old, and one is very young, but they all have a place in my home and heart.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    I understand, Jer. But we get other breeds as well. In fact, we had some real cuties from Taiwan last year, but I think they're all adopted now. You can always check out tarasbabies.org when you're ready.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    LesC wrote: »
    Ahhhh... another cat lover. Brigid we have more in common than just Macs... I have six cats and a dog. My top cat is a Siamese, Thai Chi (born on my birthday - how's that for Karma) and he rules the roost. I like the play on words with his name. The others all have their pecking order, some are very old, and one is very young, but they all have a place in my home and heart.
    Six! How absolutely wonderful, Les! We've only got the four now but another one should be showing up on the doorstep any day now. That's how all the others got here. We live on a farm out in the middle of nowhere and somehow the cats just seem to find us. And I couldn't be more grateful. I love, love, love them with all my heart. They've brought us so much joy and hilarity that I swear they've added years and years to our lifespans.

I absolutely adore Siamese cats!

Ever since I was little I've wanted a Siamese. Now that I'm older and have developed even more of an appreciation for the feline, I'm crazy for Siamese cats. At the risk of sounding elitist, I think they're the very kings and queens of the cat world. I spend a good part of my time watching the cats, trying my best to figure them out without anthropomorphizing too much, because they fascinate me. It's taken me years to figure out some of the behaviours of our cats and still they're a mystery to me in so many ways. They're like a fantastic storybook that never ends and just keeps getting better.

And of all the different kinds of cats in the world, the Siamese is by far the most fascinating. I'd just love to spend a good 15-20 years with two or three of them. I bet they're hilarious, too. You must share some stories when you get the chance. I'm going to take some pictures of our four and post them in a new cat thread. We had one going a while back but it's time for a new one.

I've completely hijacked this thread. Sorry, TwoHands!
  • edited December 2008
    Boo,
    Our cat Nigel is part Siamese...........AAAAAAAAAA Are you serious!

If you have not viewed the movie Lady and the Tramp lately you may want to go back and watch the cat part.........Remember the 2 cats and the song......We are Siamese if you please. lol :lol: I love Nigel dearly but he is a royal pain in the back side...and he is only part......He can love you one second and attack the next :eek: Bless his wee heart!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Lol!! But that's why I love them so! They're imperious and half insane. They just kill me! :D
    I remember that part from Lady and the Tramp now that you reminded me!! Maybe that's what made me fall in love with them when I was little. Lol!!! I know. I'm nutty.
  • edited December 2008
    ;) Ok, when you get your first Siamese let me know and I'll send you the same gift we got from one of our sons friends last year for Christmas.

We opened our gift to a pair of big leather work gloves.......lol She smiled and said, they are to wear when you play with the cat......:eek:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2008
    The Royal Cats of Siam! I have shared homes with them since childhood. Even bred them at one time.

Now: two rescue cats, one of which is Siamese and as mad as any of the breed. She's a trollop. Been in more laps than a napkin. Sunya by name and beautiful by nature.

Here she is, with her dear friend Bilbo, the 70 year-old tortoise:

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Aww, she's lovely, Simon!
  • edited December 2008
    I have to agree......she is a pretty girl!
    edited December 2008
    I will post pictures of my baby later when I return home.

Les
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    The cat or the turtle? I think the turtle is cute. The cat? Meh...

Palzang
  • edited December 2008
    I love the turtle........but then I love turtles...
    edited December 2008
    Here is my baby with his "sister" when he was about a year old (he's now six!), and two other pictures of him in his favourite pose on the wall outside the kitchen door.