Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you celebrate Christmas?

edited December 2008 in General Banter
Hi guys!

I was recently talking to our university's Buddhist pastor. He said that the best part, for him, of becoming a Zen priest was that he gained a bulletproof alibi for not celebrating Christmas.

I'm spending the season with my parents, sister and young nieces and nephews. Even if I became a Zen Buddhist priest they'd never let me opt out of Christmas festivities!

I'm quite looking forward to their visit though, I'm even hoping we revive our family tradition of attending midnight Mass (my sister thinks the baby's too young for us to do it this year).

So, what about everyone else? Are you embracing or avoiding this holiday, and why?

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    As usual I feel much the same way you do about it, Jacx. (No wonder people think Canadians are boring...) I would have liked to go to midnight Mass but I wouldn't have been able to sit in the pew for more than about 5 to 8 minutes so it wouldn't be possible.

I don't know why I felt like going this year. I haven't felt like attending midnight Mass in years but I was recalling the times we used to go when I was little. We used to attend St. Patrick's Cathedral in Montreal and it was a wonderful church. I remember it being so big, but warm with all the dark wood everywhere and the lovely incense. It also had a most beautiful life sized pieta sculpture that I would marvel over which seems a bit ghoulish to me now but was completely normal to me when I was young. Regular Sunday Mass was in Latin which I loved because I had to follow the mass by tone rather than word which was challenging and I always loved how cosy it felt to be the littlest family member snuggled up between my mum and dad or one of my siblings. When the collection plate would come around my mother would let me put her money in it as well as my own. Of course at Christmas it was doubly magical with all the coloured lights and pine and cedar boughs and to top it off it was at midnight! When I was a kid there was nothing greater than being able to stay up past midnight on Christmas eve.

But the church where my parents and sister go now has 'midnight Mass' at 7pm for some strange reason. Maybe the congregation is older or something. But it loses an important element when it's held at that hour, if you ask me.

As for Christmas in general, I haven't really celebrated it in the last few years, especially since I found Buddhism. But for some reason, I'm feeling very Christmassy this year. There's plenty of snow on the ground so it feels like Christmas. I'm also much closer to my oldest sister now than I've ever been and she's crazy about Christmas. I got her some small gifts at this great fair trade store so she'd have a lot of presents to open (she's very childlike :)). I don't know what day I'll be seeing her but I hope it will be just before Christmas because it's more fun opening presents before Christmas than after.

On the day itself my folks are going over to my nephew's house for Christmas dinner and they'll bring me back some turkey. I won't be going because it's a bit of a trek and I wouldn't be able to sit for very long and it's a major hassle and I don't want to have to cut short their celebration if my back goes out. I'd much rather spend a nice, quiet day at home. My folks and I will be having a proper Eggs Benedict brunch at some point over the holidays as is our tradition. It's still one of my favourite meals and my dad makes a mean hollondaise. I like it lemony and I serve myself last so I can add more lemon juice to it.

I have no problem celebrating Jesus' birthday. I love him and what he taught very much. I don't feel like I have to believe in his divinity to be able to be happy that he was born. I can think of a lot worse excuses to have Eggs Benedict. :)
  • edited December 2008
    Must be something in the water because I feel festive this year too.

It's a bit tricky with our household as my husband is an atheist / agnostic and loathes all the commercial Christmas from September business and I usually celebrate the Winter Solstice (Yule).

So this year, especially as I have something to celebrate (being home and getting over my operation and generally a whole heap better than I was a year ago) we are doing Yule tomorrow, possibly Christmas and definitely New Year.

We're having a lovely feast and I'll do the Winter Solstice ritual of bringing back the light, just the two of us - at least my husband doesn't mind joining in the feasting! :lol::lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2008
    Well, I'm loth to say it, but I feel just about as christmassy as midsummer's day.
    If there is a spirit of Christmas about, he's given me and my household a miss this year.
    I have as yet still done no Christmas shopping of any kind.
    I've managed to send two cards out so far, and Festive don't even figure.

I worked my socks off today. Our store took just over £5,000 today.
    Yup. You heard right.
    It was me, my boss, and - Nick. He stepped into the breach, and was an absolute star.
    I called him in on an emergency plea because our regular third arm was off sick. His GF rang us this morning at 09.20 to tell us his head was down the pan, and likely to stay there for the day's duration.
    Something he ate...
    Something he drank, more like......
    He had a pal over last night. Hadn't seen him for years, and had a reputation for going on benders....
    He told me that last night, before going home from work, right as rain, fit as a fiddle and all set to be in bright and early today. Humph!
    Not something he should have let out of the bag, because now, naturally, we're suspicious..... :rolleyes: :angry:

Five grand.

That's a little under what I make in 3 months.
    All in one day.
    No wonder I'm pooped.
    The shop is virtually bare. The shelves are looking barren.
    Great stuff!! :D

Same stint tomorrow!
    And Monday.
    And Tuesday.
    And Wednesday.

That's if we've got anything left over.....
    We have been invited by some friends to spend Christmas with them, so we've decided to take them up on their offer.
    But Nick and I have agreed that with the time completely lacking to do any shopping at all before we go, we're going to do our Christmas after Christmas. When everyone is full to the Gunnels, we're going to push the boat out.
    I keep telling myself that as a Buddhist, I don't really celebrate Christmas, but 40+ odd years of Roman Catholicism are kinda hard to shake off.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Well, do I celebrate the birth of a savior on December 25th, then no. Do I use it as a specific chance to show love and kindness to the family (of my choosing), then yes. My partner's family have adopted me and I'm a part of everything. Even washing the dishes!

But there is something I find more important. As Ebeneezer Scrooge was shown, it is important to keep Christmas in your heart all year long. I shoot for that more than on one day a year. I have a little exercise that I do when I'm downtown and have to pay to park. If I see someone's meter with less than 5 minutes left, I'll drop more in. They will never know who did it and may not get a ticket. I will never know their response, except it brings a smile to my face to do so. It can be fun trying to find ways to be kind to others, and even better if they don't know that you did it.

I celebrate being kind everyday that I can.
  • edited December 2008
    I am always reminded of the Quaker saying that "No day is sacred, every day is holy" ......... but like everyone else, oh bums to it, Christmas or Yule is special ....... nearly as special as Spring or Harvest .. anything is worth celebrating.

And does it really matter when you do it? No - any celebration of love and family and light ... any time is good.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Well, I can't say I really celebrate it in the traditional sense. I don't have anyone to buy presents for and no money to do it with even if I did! But I do celebrate it, at least in a private way. It's the one day in the year when, hopefully, people will demonstrate a little compassion and generosity, so that's not a bad thing. I don't have any problem with it being a celebration of Jesus' birth. I've got nothing against Jesus. I believe he was a great bodhisattva. And my childhood memories of Christmas give me a lot of warm fuzzies in my old age. It's the one time in a year when I allow myself to engage in nostalgia, that bittersweet drink. So what's not to like? Besides, I look forward to watching the reruns of A Christmas Carol, especially the one with Alastair Sim.

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2008
    I doubt whether anyone will be surprised that I celebrate Christmas. Even in my most secularist, anti-religious days, I celebrated Christmas.When I finally had to get out of the marital 'home' of my first marriage, the first Christmas away from my children (my wife refused me any time with them) was a hard one but made better by working with St Mungo's Trust, delivering soup and bread to street people in London.

For those of us who live in or are descended from people of the North, this time of year must have been scary to the pre-scientific. All-Father Odin brings gifts and, tenacious as only and archetype can be, morphs in Saint Nicholas of Smyrna and then into his various manifestations of generosity and hope. So what's not to celebrate?

Just because we think we know that the days will get longer again, that the sun is 'only' a star and will continue on its journey from aphelion to perihelion and back again, there lurks an atavistic fear. Why else would people stock up as if for a siege? The darkness is out there, waiting to swallow the sun. But, by the 25th, we can just begin to see that the sun is "reborn": Mithras has come into the world; a baby is born in a cave/shed, affirming that the universe is, in Einstein's words, a friendly place.

The four marking moments of the year, the equinoxes and solstices are enormously important to the human psyche. We don't have to be 'pagans' to recognise it. 35 years of practice as a counsellor showed me that, at these special times, psycho-emotional symptoms are magnified.

It does rather piss me off that the Puritans of every persuasion, be they Christian, Buddhist, atheist or just miserable, want to squash the Christmas stories, strip off the glitter and the layers of meaning. Two here have mentioned the architect of modern Christmas iconography: Charles Dickens. Do you remember that Scrooge complains about giving Bob the whole day off? The attitude of the Marketplace which would lead, iof followed, to Tiny Tim's early death. But Dickens believed in liberation, 'redemption' and transformation. So do I.

That's why I celoebrate Christmas.

P.S. Palzang-la: I am so glad you love Scrooge with Alastair Sim. Glyn Dearman (see pic), who plays Tiny Tim, and I were playmates at the time and I spent happy hours on the set wityh him. Mr Sim was a wonderful, funny man as well as a perfect Scrooge.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Wow!! Cool, Simon!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    That's neat, Simon. That's always been my favorite version. Even though later ones follow the original story more closely, that one captures the spirit the best I think.

But I've just got to ask - who in the heck is/was St. Mungo?! Is that a real name? I'm picturing St. Mungo, patron saint of fungus infections...

Palzang
    edited December 2008
    Palzang wrote: »
    That's neat, Simon. That's always been my favorite version. Even though later ones follow the original story more closely, that one captures the spirit the best I think.

But I've just got to ask - who in the heck is/was St. Mungo?! Is that a real name? I'm picturing St. Mungo, patron saint of fungus infections...

Palzang

Saint Mungo (or Kentigern) was a bishop and evangeliser of Scotland in the 6th century. 'Mungo' means 'dear one' or 'darling'.

The St Mungo's Trust, in London, delivers soup, bread and blankets to street people.
  • edited December 2008
    As always, well said.

Ditto, on every note.
    I doubt whether anyone will be surprised that I celebrate Christmas. Even in my most secularist, anti-religious days, I celebrated Christmas.When I finally had to get out of the marital 'home' of my first marriage, the first Christmas away from my children (my wife refused me any time with them) was a hard one but made better by working with St Mungo's Trust, delivering soup and bread to street people in London.

For those of us who live in or are descended from people of the North, this time of year must have been scary to the pre-scientific. All-Father Odin brings gifts and, tenacious as only and archetype can be, morphs in Saint Nicholas of Smyrna and then into his various manifestations of generosity and hope. So what's not to celebrate?

Just because we think we know that the days will get longer again, that the sun is 'only' a star and will continue on its journey from aphelion to perihelion and back again, there lurks an atavistic fear. Why else would people stock up as if for a siege? The darkness is out there, waiting to swallow the sun. But, by the 25th, we can just begin to see that the sun is "reborn": Mithras has come into the world; a baby is born in a cave/shed, affirming that the universe is, in Einstein's words, a friendly place.

The four marking moments of the year, the equinoxes and solstices are enormously important to the human psyche. We don't have to be 'pagans' to recognise it. 35 years of practice as a counsellor showed me that, at these special times, psycho-emotional symptoms are magnified.

It does rather piss me off that the Puritans of every persuasion, be they Christian, Buddhist, atheist or just miserable, want to squash the Christmas stories, strip off the glitter and the layers of meaning. Two here have mentioned the architect of modern Christmas iconography: Charles Dickens. Do you remember that Scrooge complains about giving Bob the whole day off? The attitude of the Marketplace which would lead, iof followed, to Tiny Tim's early death. But Dickens believed in liberation, 'redemption' and transformation. So do I.

That's why I celoebrate Christmas.

P.S. Palzang-la: I am so glad you love Scrooge with Alastair Sim. Glyn Dearman (see pic), who plays Tiny Tim, and I were playmates at the time and I spent happy hours on the set wityh him. Mr Sim was a wonderful, funny man as well as a perfect Scrooge.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited December 2008
    While I've always recognized that Christmas recognizes the birth of Jesus, it has always been a time of joy and celebration, a time when people profess their lovingkindness towards one another. As I have gotten older, that is the spirit that has stayed with me, and I still celebrate Christmas to this day, complete with tree and goodies. When I can, I still go to the midnight service, as after all I believe Christ was a great prophet and tried to bring a new way of caring for people into the Jewish world. His birth deserves to be celebrated.

Les
  • edited December 2008
    Indeed. Good Yule to all I say!
    Just because we think we know that the days will get longer again, that the sun is 'only' a star and will continue on its journey from aphelion to perihelion and back again, there lurks an atavistic fear. Why else would people stock up as if for a siege? The darkness is out there, waiting to swallow the sun. But, by the 25th, we can just begin to see that the sun is "reborn"
    Brilliantly captured Simon. Trolleys groaning under the weight, fridges stuffed full. Who knows, better to be prepared in case Fenris-wolf catches the sun this time round. If it's Ragnarok, then at least I've got one last pizza before Surt sets the world in flame.

I should have been at Stonehenge this mid winter.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008

Saint Mungo (or Kentigern) was a bishop and evangeliser of Scotland in the 6th century. 'Mungo' means 'dear one' or 'darling'.

The St Mungo's Trust, in London, delivers soup, bread and blankets to street people.

Thanks, but then who is going to take care of all the fungal infections? :buck:

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    BTW, Simon, what's dear Glynnie up to nowadays? Probably retired as well, eh?

Palzang
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Up until 2 years ago, Christmas was a bag of mixed emotions. My father had some form of mental illness/personality disorder and chose to let it rule his life and all of ours. He would go out of his way to make Christmas miserable for all of us. Maybe that is all he knew. I was unsure what Christmas would be like without him. The first year, I had to work so I didn't worry about it.

Last year was the first Christmas I celebrated that was completely calm. My partners' nieces and nephews were horsing around and enjoying themselves. We adults chatted about everything under the sun and it felt like home. It was the best gift I had ever gotten. The presence of people is much greater than the presents given.

So again
    Merry Christmas
    Happy Kwaanza
    Happy Chaunnukah
    Blessed Winter Solstice
    Happy Human Light day (Agnostics, Free Thinkers & Rationalists)
    Happy Thursday if none apply to you.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    "Thanks, but then who is going to take care of all the fungal infections?" - Palzang

That's why healthcare does not get a day off. Some emergency room staff will have to attend to it as needed. It makes me want to wash my hands just thinking about it.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Jerbear wrote: »
    Up until 2 years ago, Christmas was a bag of mixed emotions. My father had some form of mental illness/personality disorder and chose to let it rule his life and all of ours. He would go out of his way to make Christmas miserable for all of us. Maybe that is all he knew. I was unsure what Christmas would be like without him. The first year, I had to work so I didn't worry about it.

Last year was the first Christmas I celebrated that was completely calm. My partners' nieces and nephews were horsing around and enjoying themselves. We adults chatted about everything under the sun and it felt like home. It was the best gift I had ever gotten. The presence of people is much greater than the presents given.

So again
    Merry Christmas
    Happy Kwaanza
    Happy Chaunnukah
    Blessed Winter Solstice
    Happy Human Light day (Agnostics, Free Thinkers & Rationalists)
    Happy Thursday if none apply to you.

May you have many, many more happy Christmases, and May Buddha Bless Us, Every One!

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2008
    Well, Christmas has come to our house, of course.... The 'what does our house look like' thread, is begining to get festive.;)
    And thank you all for this wonderful thread.... this is heartwarming.....
    edited December 2008
    srivijaya wrote: »
    Indeed. Good Yule to all I say!

I should have been at Stonehenge this mid winter.

Some 2000 people were at the Giants' Dance this Winter Solstice:

Stonehenge on YouTube 21 December 2008
    edited December 2008
    Palzang wrote: »
    BTW, Simon, what's dear Glynnie up to nowadays? Probably retired as well, eh?

Palzang

Glyn passed from this life ten years ago, at Christmas 1998. He fell down stairs and broke his neck. It was somewhat ironic because he was terrified of lifts ever since another of our playmates had died in a horrific accident in a lift when we were 5 or 6. I still miss him and wish that we hadf managed to spend more time together in those last years. There always seems to be more time, doesn't there?

He was a very skilled radio producer, particularly of drama.
    edited December 2008
    Many of us find Christmas a good season to review our direct charitable action. May I draw your attention to one organisation in particular which I support: the Prison Dharma Network.

Christians are specifically called on to visit and support prisoners, although all-too-few do so directly. Not all of us can be Elizabeth Fry but we can all do something for those whom we (as members of our society) have pent up for years or for the rest of their lives. We have a direct responsibility for them and the PDN does a bit towards making their lives more bearable in a system which dehumanises and degrades.

Prison Dharma Network

Another site worth visiting is:
    http://naljorprisondharmaservice.org/
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited December 2008
    I agree Simon,

I volunteered my services and taught for a while in a maximum security prison. Taught computer skills to the inmates, so that they may have a useful and necessary skill when they got out.

Some years later, in a store, I was approached by a young man, who said he was one of the inmates I had taught, and those skills had allowed him to get a job, and now he was managing this store.

If I only helped that one...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008

Glyn passed from this life ten years ago, at Christmas 1998. He fell down stairs and broke his neck. It was somewhat ironic because he was terrified of lifts ever since another of our playmates had died in a horrific accident in a lift when we were 5 or 6. I still miss him and wish that we hadf managed to spend more time together in those last years. There always seems to be more time, doesn't there?

He was a very skilled radio producer, particularly of drama.

Sorry to hear that. Birth, old age, sickness and death are a bitch. Better to just get out of the mess altogether!

Palzang
  • edited December 2008
    I agree - charity begins as near to home as possible.

I wait at this time of year to be given a good cause - it will never be a charity to donate to or a service to volunteer, it will be something much more personal - a family that are facing destitution just over the road, someone I know on line who is not going to be able to buy their children a present .... something I can wade into on a personal basis and do my bit.