Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

where to begin....

edited January 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hello,

I have recently been extremely interested in Buddhism to say the least. It is an idea I have pondered with for many years and I have finally come to the decision to move forward with it. The thing is I am not quite sure where to start. I know going to a center is the best option but I am not quite sure I am ready for that step. I am having a huge problem with meditation but I am hoping this will pass with time and practice. I guess I am just looking for some advice and knowledge. All would be helpful.

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Welcome. Good to have you here.

Ask all the questions you like - there are a lot of very experienced and wise people on here (me being the exception) so feel free.

Here - have a nice cup of tea and put your feet up while you think of questions to ask.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2009
    Hello cubbiesgirl24, and welcome to the forum. For starters, I would advise some light reading (e.g., the Dhammapada, anything by Ajahn Chah, etc.) or listening to Thanissaro Bhikkhu's shorter talks while trying to meditate, or taking a walk, etc. That is what I did in the beginning, and I found it to be quite helpful.

Best wishes,

Jason
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited January 2009
    I am having a huge problem with meditation
    That means you're probably doing it right! :D Meditating for 10 minutes is the hardest part of my day (I finally started a daily routine several months ago, which very much makes me still a beginner).

If you have specific questions, please do ask. :)
  • edited January 2009
    Thank you everyone for your replies...

I am just not sure what exactly I am supposed to be doing during meditation? Someone told me that mind should be blank while others told me to focus on my thoughts and what they really mean. It's a bit confusing. I am a very easily distracted person but I do see myself getting slightly better.....
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited January 2009
    I actually took up Buddhism some time ago, couldn't get into the meditation thing, so decided if I wasn't going to meditate then I should drop the whole thing... which I did.

But here I am again. I came across a very good book on meditation (and I had read others), but this really helped me with the meditation thing. I'm still a beginner, but at least I'm doing it. The book is called "Hurry Up And Meditate" by David Michie. It's available in hardcopy and as an audible download.

He also has a title called "Buddhism For Busy People" which is also excellent.

Good luck.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited January 2009
    Ah, ok, I see where you are.

There are lots of ways to meditate. The important thing is to just pick one and stick with it so you don't get distracted by wandering between methods :)

Here's how my Kung Fu teacher tells us to meditate:
    • Sit comfortably with your back straight (you can sit against the wall if you find you back becomes tired, or in a chair, or whatever works)
    • Close your eyes
    • Concentrate, eyes slightly upturned, on a point between your eyebrows
    • Let go of all thoughts, worries, and cares
    • Be here now
    • Focus on the breath
    When a thought enters your mind, just let it go :) Don't get frustrated, just go back to concentrating on the breath.

Personally, I sit cross-legged with my hands resting in my lap, palm up, one under the other. Just be comfortable and consistent.

A great Zen meditation guru once said that he could, after decades of practice, usually get through 2 breaths before his mind wandered. :eek: That's what you're up against, so don't be discouraged! Just keep doing it every day.

A last piece of advice I've heard: don't judge your meditation. Don't finish and say "that was a good one" or "man, that sucked", because soon you'll start evaluating it while meditating, which will distract you. Reflect on it after a month or two (or 6 ;) ) of doing it every day to see how it is changing your life.
    edited January 2009
    Very similar to David Michie's approach. Little steps at first. And that where I am... little steps.

:)
  • edited January 2009
    Thanks Les..I will def look into those books...there are so many choices on literature I was having a hard time deciding that as well....

And Matt that advice is excellent and I plan on trying it this evening.

Thanks again,
    Lilly
  • edited January 2009
    And I have such bad back problems that I have to meditate lying down ... the important thing is that you do it.
  • edited January 2009
    if only i knew if i was actually "doing" it...lol.
    edited January 2009
    Let me also share that "Awakening The Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das is an excellent choice. Written from a Western perspective by a nice little Jewish boy who ran off to the Himalayas, and spent the next 30 years becoming a lama.

He is very funny and easy to read, and you may really enjoy this one.
  • edited January 2009
    That book does sound like something that I might enjoy. Being so new to this whole philosophy on life has my head spinning, good humor has always brightened my day and somehow made me feel at ease.
    edited January 2009
    Believe me, me and just about everyone here knows EXACTLY what you mean. We've all been there (some of us are STILL there)!!!

If you pick a simple meditation practice (such as count your breaths for 4) for 10 mins, you'll be doing it!!! It gets easier with practice. Take that from the guy who avoided meditation like the plague!!!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2009
    I am just not sure what exactly I am supposed to be doing during meditation? Someone told me that mind should be blank while others told me to focus on my thoughts and what they really mean. It's a bit confusing. I am a very easily distracted person but I do see myself getting slightly better.....

At the beginning, all you need to do is focus on your breathing, wherever you notice it the most, for as long as you can. Whenever your attention wanders off, as soon as you become aware of it, gently focus on the breath once again. This is done to strengthen your mindfulness as well as your attention span.
    edited January 2009
    Excellent advice. And really so simple. And don't beat yourself up because your mind wanders - that's what it's been doing your whole life, just let that go, and refocus on your breaths. David Michie recommend starting with counting the exhale of each breath. He also says start with a low number of 4. Count each exhale through your nostrils and count them rather like sheep.. 1... 2... 3... 4... and then start all over again. Focus on the very end of your nose where the air leaves your body, nothing else. If you get distracted, start over again at 1. Simple. That's all there is to it to start with.