Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Synchronicity

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited March 2009 in Arts & Writings
My wife (at the time) made an observation once, after we had begun our practice. She noticed that growing up where we did, in the middle of blue-collar...

Continue reading

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2009
    It's good to know that this sort of thing happens to other people!

In 2001, my son Jack and I met HHDL and a whole lot of Tibetan monks in India. Later that same year, we were camping in Britanny and I took him to see Mont St Michel. there, in the guest refectory, was a group of Tibetan monks making a sand mandala. Finally, only a month or two later, we were in Glastonbury and there, another group of monks and another sand mandala.

These burgundy-robed guys are just everywhere!
  • edited January 2009
    I think it is also a question of perception - we notice things more often when we are aware of them.

How often have you heard a new word or expression (sorry, language is my job) and then heard it again two or three times in a short space of time.

As far as airports are concerned - you guys are lucky - my only experience was having a bunch of South American Roman Catholic nuns dumped on me by an airline employee looking for a sucker .... "Could you just help these ladies please?" and then disappeared.

My Spanish is almost non-existent .... I had fun. Try miming Security Check on a nun ... even as a woman I found it rather embarrassing.
  • edited January 2009
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    How often have you heard a new word or expression (sorry, language is my job) and then heard it again two or three times in a short space of time.

Or started noticing pregnant women EVERYWHERE?!?!

Sorry. Just needed to vent the insanity a little. The rest of it should settle down now.
  • edited January 2009
    Yes, I noticed that when I was undergoing IVF .... everyone else in the whole wide world appeared to be magnificently gravid ... except me.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2009
    That's an awesome story, Brian. The same thing happened to me too. I never saw a monk until I visited the same temple, and then I saw them everywhere. I even ran into one of them at Borders once. They must have thought I was following them.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Lol!!!
  • edited January 2009
    Personally I think there is a certain sect of monks that live in airports ...... how else can you explain that every time I fly, from no matter how small a facility, I meet monks?

Perhaps they are the new Air-ian race :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Brian,
    How are things at the temple? PM me, as I would like to join you at a service. As you know, it is mainly Zen temples in our area. I would be grateful since what you said about it before seemed much more cultural than being a wat for all in the area. I'm one that likes the support of a spiritual community. Let me know.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2009
    KW,
    The same with me when I quit smoking. It seemed many more people smoked. Then I finally realized that it was me tuning in on that particular behavior. I was at dinner with a group of people last night and there were only 2 smokers who excused themselves to light up. Our perceptions can be really screwed up when one is focused on something we crave. Dukkha will come and slap us in the face with it. It is similar to the Evangelical idea of spiritual warfare and the need for the believer to stand up and fight whatever temptation/idea. Did the IVF work, by the way?
  • edited January 2009
    No Jer, the IVF didn't work but no matter - I have three very hairy babies who need constant attention, will never grow up and leave me or ask me to fund their college education ............. I win! :lol:[/I]
  • edited February 2009
    Matrixing is a propensity of the brain for pattern recognition. They are meaningful coincidences, linking an objective experience with a subjective response. The more it occurs, the more we notice it. The human brain can process complex patterns, and recognize them anywhere at any time - even while dreaming. Its just that time prompts and other real life ones serve as a reminder to live in the present. Be alert, or to slow down, tends to be the advise offered. The messages themselves are more important than the numbers and symbols from where they manifested from.

I never met a monk or HH. I did meet a bunch of old people and babies the other day and realized synchronicities like a museum of a million books.
  • edited March 2009
    I have noticed meaningful coincidences too....why do you think they occur?

Or are they just random and we attach meaning to them to make sense of a random world?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2009
    bluesky wrote: »
    I have noticed meaningful coincidences too....why do you think they occur?

Or are they just random and we attach meaning to them to make sense of a random world?

Human beings are pattern-makers.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Human beings are pattern-makers.
    True dat!