Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

There's probably no god ...

2»

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Isn't it the ongoing, amusing jabs we take at our thought processes that help us to continue to remain mentally open to other ideas?

Also, I do not believe in a god, but cannot help but treat people well (unless I love them, and then of course, I treat them rather poorly at times). I don't think the instruction to "enjoy your life" necessarily implies Hedonism. A well-developed sense of empathy kicks that idea in the butt.

Also, KoB: Maybe this is a southern U.S. thing, but I went to a religious university for a little while. The people who attended that university and went to church did not espouse the views they prayed about. Maybe they thought they did, I can't say for sure. I don't think being religious makes you a "good" person or a well-adjusted person, either. I think it's much deeper than that.
  • edited July 2009
    Religion only makes you a good or well adjusted person if your running for election. Otherwise, it only fulfills or fails to fulfill what it's true meaning to the individual is. Too often I think we try to define religion for others when we haven't even defined it fully for ourselves.
  • edited July 2009
    oh... and that isn't a bus... that is a train that you will need.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited July 2009
    The Dude wrote: »
    oh... and that isn't a bus... that is a train that you will need.

Thanks for that thought, Dude! That reminds me of the subway cars in Boston in the early 80s. For a time, Ayatollah Khomeini had outlawed the playing of all but a very few songs in Iran. It must indeed have been horribly dismal for anyone having to hear the same thing over and over and over again.

Well, in Boston, in the subway cars they put up 16" X 9" billboards containing a picture of Khomeini in the advertisement slots in the area below the ceiling. Well, Mr. Khomeini had the points of both his index fingers pushed hard into his ears, as accompanying call letters of a local Rock station seemed to raise their pompous heads defiantly against his presence.

I WANTED one of those things so much, but never got round to visiting the station. So funny, the idea of the imperious Supreme Leader not being impervious to the great power of American music!