Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Merry Olde England

PalzangPalzang Veteran
edited January 2009 in General Banter
I'm sorry, but I just have to share this. I was just reading a story in the NYT (that's New York Times for those across the pond) on strange place names in England. Places like Crapstone (in Devon, near Plymouth), Penistone (prounced Pennistun - yeah, right! - in Yorkshire), Ugley (Essex), Titty Ho (Northamptonshire) (I'm not making this up - really!), Pratts Bottom (Kent), Thong (Kent - what's up with you folks in Kent?), East Breast (in Scotland, of course), Wetwang (Yorkshire), Slutshole Lane (Norfolk), Spanker Lane (Derbyshire), and last but definitely not least, North Piddle (Worcestershire) (apparently the main town of Piddle dried up some decades ago and has not reappeared).

Those are just the town names, mind you. There are also some pretty interesting street names as well, such as Hoare Road, Typple Avenue, Quare Street, and Corfe Close. (If you're wondering what could possibly be wrong with Corfe Close, try saying "4 Corfe Close" really fast a few times). Butt Hole Road in South Yorkshire, however, remains my favorite.

Of course, the US has its own share of strange place names. How can you possibly top the town of Blue Ball, which, naturally, is just down the road from Intercourse, Pennsylvania?

Thanks, I feel much better now that I've gotten that out of my system!

Palzang

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    Thanks, I feel much better now that I've gotten that out of my system!

Hi Palzang,
    No probs. Have you ever been to the UK? A lot of Americans do that 'trace my ancestors' thing.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Those names are great!! Imagine how easy to remember your address would be! Lol!!
  • edited January 2009
    I just pity the poor souls that live in the town of Condom (down South here)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    srivijaya wrote: »
    Have you ever been to the UK? A lot of Americans do that 'trace my ancestors' thing.

No, never have. I have a little English blood in me (as well as Scotch and Irish), but I never felt motivate to hunt up any family connections. I guess I'm not much of an Anglophile! My brother tho attended a chef's school in London.

Palzang
  • edited January 2009
    In Canada, we've got the province of Newfoundland for silly place names.

It's not so old a place, but quite merry.

Here's an Arrogant Worms tune about that beloved isle:
    A Night on Dildo

Umm, so this is a song about Newfoundland and we wrote it about the place names and all you have to know is that all the place names in this song are real place names that we found in an atlas, 'cause we can read!
    Yeah, we can read!
    Yeah, literacy!

Oh Newfoundland, oh Newfoundland, ya island in the sea
    I love you oh so very much, I joined the Ministry
    To show you people 'round the rock when tourist season's here
    Although in my opinion it' s a gem throughout the year
    Well if you're one for swimming, don't think it's outta reach
    You can go and take a dip along Groswater Beach
    I know the name's misleading, that's quite a problem here
    Instead let's go to Goobies and have ourselves a beer

From Woody Point to Come-By-Chance to good ol' Ferryland
    Come take a look at Gander, Blackhead's mighty grand
    Don't let the names deceive you, Newfoundland's mighty fine
    So spend a night on Dildo if you think you've got the time

Well you can go to Blow-Me-Down before it gets too dark (GASP)
    Oh sorry ma'am, I should have said, that's our provincial park
    There's also Whippet Harbour, or maybe Butter Pot
    Or maybe I'll just hit the pub I'm feeling like a shot
    Well you can sail on Quidi Vidi, or look at Joe Batt's Arm
    There's Placentia and there's Cow Head (MOOO!), they're so full of charm
    Get married down in Kilbride, have a party in Hate Bay
    Or have some screech in Fogo and forget about the day

Okay, the Drinkin' Verse
    *sing drunkenly here*
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited January 2009
    No, never have. I have a little English blood in me (as well as Scotch and Irish)
    Palzang

Hate to do this old Pal... but I don't want anyone thinking you're an alcholic!!

Scotch refers to the drink... not the nationality. The correct term is Scots or Scottish, depending on the context, but never Scotch!

Unless of course, after a particularly celubrious evening, you could very well have a lot of Scotch in you!!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    No, no Scotch in me. Just Scots then (and not the tissue!). Worse, I've even got some French in me! Probably the crawling feeling I get in my skin... :confused:

Palzang
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited January 2009
    No, no Scotch in me. Just Scots then (and not the tissue!).

Palzang

No, definitely not the tissue... as that would be Scotts!!!

Sarcasm... just another free service I offer!!! :rolleyes:
  • edited January 2009
    No, no Scotch in me. Just Scots then (and not the tissue!). Worse, I've even got some French in me! Probably the crawling feeling I get in my skin... :confused:

Palzang

Oi - I resent that! As a fully paid up Cheese-Eating Surrender-Monkey I feel I have to protest!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Just kidding! I knew somebody would take the bait...

Palzang
  • edited January 2009
    I can always be relied upon ....... I'd hug you if you weren't a monk :lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Whew! Good thing we're 3,000 miles apart!

Palzang
  • edited January 2009
    Better believe it Pally - you get hugged by me, you STAY hugged. I'm an Olympic-class hugger!

(in a purely tree-hugger way, you understand!)
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited January 2009
    How about Moose Jaw, SK Canada? I always liked that name.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Moose Jaw I could live with, but Dildo?!!? What were they thinking?

Palzang
  • edited January 2009
    Devon in the UK is particularly blessed with Piddles and Puddles ... no I don't know why but it causes me hilarity

Oh and in Cornwall where I used to live there is Bugle ... leading to the phrase "Blow me, have you never been to Bugle?"

Douglas Adams and another guy (apologies) can't remember his name wrote a book called "The Meaning of Liff" in which they took place names and gave them to things that didn't have a name in the English language (rather like the bit behind your knee, the opposite of kneecap) which is worth a read.

Over here we have names that sound like characters from a Science Fantasy novel - I amuse myself on long journeys by inventing characters to go with the name.

Margilly - the headstrong space pirate lady. Dammarion - dragon rider. Percey le Grand ... no I don't need to go any further with that one! :lol:
  • edited January 2009
    I used to live in Doncaster, South Yorskshire and walked passed Butt Hole Lane and Penistone Street every day.

There is a town just down the road called Grimethorpe - never has a place been more suitably named...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    You have my sincerest condolences! Hasn't anyone ever suggested changing the names?!

Palzang
  • edited January 2009
    lmao............this is just to funny! We have many strange names in the mid-west but it's more Good ol Boy or Hill Billy kind of names.