Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mudras In Meditation

edited October 2009 in Philosophy
Having tried a large number of meditation techniques over the years and being of an experimental nature, I've tried many-a-mudra during meditation.

Personally, I find that the straight forward "Virgin-Mary Mudra" works the best. Or put in other words, boosts mental energy the most.

What are your experiences?

Do you always opt to meditate with as much mental energy as possible?

Or, are there times when it's easier to meditate with less?

Comments

• edited October 2009
    densal wrote: »
    Having tried a large number of meditation techniques over the years and being of an experimental nature, I've tried many-a-mudra during meditation.

Personally, I find that the straight forward "Virgin-Mary Mudra" works the best. Or put in other words, boosts mental energy the most.

Densal,
    It depends on the tradition within different types of Buddhism but,
    generally the Namaskara mudra - palms together, the one I think you are refering to - is used often as a sign of respect and/or greeting, not so much during the main body of the meditation. If you are talking of the blessing mudra, one hand raised upward, this is also not the standard Buddhist meditation mudra.
    This is it: http://www.psychics.co.uk/images/buddha.jpg

Namaste!
  • edited October 2009
    densal wrote: »

there are many mudra's that correlate with different techniques or methods of practice.
    the mudra in general is a physical representation of the practice that is being cultivated.