Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Any Irish Buddhists out there?

edited February 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Dear all,

I hope this message finds you well. I am a graduate student at the Columbia Journalism School in New York (and a Buddhist, as it happens). This semester I am in a religion seminar; the 16 students have different religious beats, and I am covering Buddhism.

Each year, the class focuses on a different country, and this year it is Ireland. We've been assigned to do a story on our faith and its relation to Ireland.

Since I don't meet too many Irish Buddhists, I searched online and found this site. I'm looking for any practicing Buddhists with an Irish connection (ideally in NYC, but can be anywhere) who might be open to being interviewed for our class site: www.coveringreligion.org. Or, even if you don't feel comfortable being written about, at least interviewed for simply the assignment.

If so, I'm happy to call you at your convenience, or meet you if you're in NYC; please email me and feel free to pass this along to anyone who might be a good fit. My story is due in the next week, and I greatly appreciate all your help!

Thank you very much for your time.

Best wishes,
Amy

abw2124 [at] columbia.edu

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2009
    Hello Amyinnyc,

Not being Irish, I am of little use to you but you may want to examine an interesting development over there:
    http://www.celticbuddhism.org/

I first came across this group some time ago and find it fascinating: Ireland has a long history of 'Celtisation' of imported ideas and Buddhism is no different.
  • edited February 2009
    Many thanks, Simon!
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited February 2009
    I'm a quarter Irish, does that count? :D:lol:
  • edited February 2009
    Lincoln wrote: »
    I'm a quarter Irish....? :D:lol:

Are'nt we all?
  • edited February 2009
    Well that is a good point - anyone calling themself Scottish is probably Irish mix anyway ... my 100% Highland family recently discovered that they are only that from 1700 odd .... which is when their ancestors moved over the water.

So maybe seek out Scots as well?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2009
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    Well that is a good point - anyone calling themself Scottish is probably Irish mix anyway ... my 100% Highland family recently discovered that they are only that from 1700 odd .... which is when their ancestors moved over the water.

So maybe seek out Scots as well?

And these may be the footprints of our 'first parents' and their youngling as they trudged across the Rift Valley, 3 3/4 million years ago:

Everything after that is only local detail and recent event!