Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Watchmen

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited March 2009 in Arts & Writings
I went to see Watchmen yesterday and I have to say that it was better than I expected. I finished reading the graphic novel the day before, so it was still fresh in my memory when I went to see it, and while certain elements were changed in order to fit the entire twelve issue series into a two and a half hour film, Snyder retained enough of the story and faithfully reproduced the visual aspects of the series that it felt pretty true to the original.

Much of the dialogue is straight from the series, and the parts that are not still fit reasonably well within the original story arc so that it does not distract from the overall theme of the series itself. The same goes for the ending, which, although is slightly different, still imparts the central message that original ending does.

For me, the message that I think Moore was trying to convey is the most important part of the series. Others, of course, might disagree; but all in all, I was not disappointed. It was not only a good movie but it carried much of what made the series what it was, which, among other things, a social commentary on the Reagan-era. The underlying message, however, is timeless.

As for Dr. Manhattan's digitally animated nude scenes, I had no problem with them. There were a fair amount of those scattered throughout the series as well, although his genitalia was not as defined, but I am surprised that so many people found them uncomfortable. I could hear a lot of the people in the audience snickering at them in the theatre, and I have since read a lot of negative comments written about them online.

I do not have a problem with male nudity in general (I noticed that nobody snickered at the Silk Spectre's breasts), and considering that it was in the series, I really do not see what the big deal is besides the fact that he was pretty hung. Apparently, seeing things like broken bones protruding out of the skin, arms being sawed off and human bodies literally exploding are less disturbing than seeing a digitally animated penis. Strange, really.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Unfortunately, I didn't know much about Watchmen and took my 14 year old son.

I didn't freak out about the 6" neon shaved hanger - neither did my son. I don't care if my son sees nudity as long as he realizes not everybody walks around packin' that much firepower.
    I had more difficult talking to him about a book called "The Joy Of Gay Sex" that he and some other kids found in the public library earlier in the week.
    I got hit with barrage of questions about illustrations of male-on-male oral sex, anal sex, biker-telephone-phone-sex, mutual masturbation.... in the freakin' public library.

Really?

The public library?

Is that really necessary?

I mean, he is 14 - but what if my girlfriends 5 or 7 year old found that. Or the Kama Sutra for that matter? I can't believe that material is sitting out on shelves.

Anyway, I forgot about the DST time change and we missed the first hour of the show because I'm stupid.

-bf
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited March 2009
    I loved the watchmen. I haven't read the graphic novel but thought the whole movie was awesome. I can't wait to go see it again. The story was complex and the message rather deep for a "comic book" movie. Oddly, it was the first of two movies I saw that weekend with man wang.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2009
    buddhafoot wrote: »
    I had more difficult talking to him about a book called "The Joy Of Gay Sex" that he and some other kids found in the public library earlier in the week.
    I got hit with barrage of questions about illustrations of male-on-male oral sex, anal sex, biker-telephone-phone-sex, mutual masterbation.... in the freakin' public library.

Now that's what I call a sticky situation. Good to see ya around, bf.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited March 2009
    bf, that is one of my favorite posts I've ever read on the Internet.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2009
    An old member who hasn't been around here in a long time suggested the graphic novel to me a few years ago and I bought it from Amazon almost immediately. I just had a feeling about it. I read it twice and I still have dreams about it.

I am DYING to see the movie. If there is any way I can sit that long in one place I will find a way to do it. It helps that I'm madly in love with the actor who plays the Comedian, Jeffrey Dean Morgan. I'd put up with a lot of pain to watch him in this particular movie.

I don't want to wait until I can get it on DVD because if there was ever a movie made for the big screen Watchmen is it. In fact, I'm looking into seeing it at an IMAX theatre.

The graphic novel that was unfilmable. Zach Snyder is a genius.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    bf, hi!

Just be glad your son is asking you about that stuff. Most 14 year olds would be too afraid to ask their parents anything about sex, particularly gay sex. I think that's a very good sign. As for having it in the public library, I think they should keep it in an adults only section or something, but I do think it should be there. For most gay people who are in the process of coming out, finding any information about being gay is nearly impossible to find unless you happen to live in or near a big city where gay people are more visible.

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2009
    I smuggled a copy of The Joy of Gay Sex into the UK in 1982 - it was on a list of banned books at the time. It is still on my shelves. I imagine that all of my children have consulted it, along with Masters and Johnson, Shere Hite, Alex Comfort and all the other works there on sex. They may also have dipped into Krafft-Ebbing. None of them appears to have been damaged. The fact that they came to me with questions about my Clinical Atlas of AIDS gave me many an opportunity to teach about safe and responsible sex.

None of this would have been possible if they had had to sneak about to read the books.
    edited March 2009
    Pally - I agree. I think reference material involving gay sex or hetero sex should be available. I just think some smarts should be used.

Like I said, my son is 14 and he should be knowing about this stuff AND I'm glad he told me about it. He learned a couple of things during our discussion - found out that a couple of things his friends were telling him was ... well, I think they were making up stuff to things they didnt' know about - and he got to ask some questions.

Like I said, I was more concerned about my girlfriends 5 or 7 year old stumbling on something like that. I would have just as upset if they had stumbled onto a book that detailed or showed photographs of WWII torture.

I think there are some things that should not be readily accessible to anyone of any age.

Simon - as always, you are just smarter than the average bear.

-bf
    edited March 2009
    Lincoln wrote: »
    bf, that is one of my favorite posts I've ever read on the Internet.

Lincoln,

Thank you. I'll be here all week.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Pally - I agree. I think reference material involving gay sex or hetero sex should be available. I just think some smarts should be used.

Like I said, my son is 14 and he should be knowing about this stuff AND I'm glad he told me about it. He learned a couple of things during our discussion - found out that a couple of things his friends were telling him was ... well, I think they were making up stuff to things they didnt' know about - and he got to ask some questions.

Like I said, I was more concerned about my girlfriends 5 or 7 year old stumbling on something like that. I would have just as upset if they had stumbled onto a book that detailed or showed photographs of WWII torture.

I think there are some things that should not be readily accessible to anyone of any age.

Simon - as always, you are just smarter than the average bear.

-bf

I'm with ya. Nice to hear from you again. Miss you.

Palzang
    edited March 2009
    :(

Sorry - I'll try to ... to... be a bigger pain in newbuddhist's arse more often :)

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    :(

Sorry - I'll try to ... to... be a bigger pain in newbuddhist's arse more often :)

-bf

Exactly...

Palzang