Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Slandering the Dharma

PalzangPalzang Veteran
edited March 2009 in Buddhism Today
As many of you know, it is a popular sport in some quarters to slander the Dharma and the teachers who, out of boundless love for all beings, come into this world to teach the Dharma to their unworthy students. A certain person, known to our temple, has started a blog in which, amongst other things, he has been slandering His Holiness Penor Rinpoche, his chief attendant, my teacher, and various people in our sangha. When my teacher, Jetsunma, discovered that this person had begun a campaign of hatred and lies against His Holiness, she requested her students to rise to the defense of His Holiness and defend him against such filth.

In accordance with Jetsunma's wishes I am presenting the following, written by Jetsunma herself:

Anyone who turns the mind of a sentient being away from the profound blessings of a living Buddha, like His Holiness Penor Rinpoche is either insane, stupendously ignorant or demonic.

This has gone too far. The sangha should pick up pen and paper and write about His Holiness. His Holiness is peerless; nobody has done what he has done. The extent of his Dharma activity is unmatched anywhere in the world; the loving care which he has provided for his students is unmatched, and the sublime purity with which he has kept his three levels of vows: outer, inner and secret, cannot be denied.

Christianity says, and I would like to borrow the phrase, “…by their fruits you will know them.”

Those who would put him down are dealers of hate. They speak hate, they breathe hate, and the vile pus of their hatred is their nectar.

At the time of their death they will see what they have done.

--Jetsunma Ahkon Lhamo

I would just like to add that His Holiness is the lama who ordained me as a gelong (fully ordained) monk, and that he is the lama who bravely recognized my teacher as a tulku (reincarnate lama) when it was very controversial to do so. He is the source of all the blessings I have received in my pitiful life, and to see him treated in this horrendous way by one who does not have the merit to kiss his feet makes me sick.

He came out of Tibet with many other Tibetan lamas, monks and ordinary citizens after the Chinese had brutally put down the uprising by the Tibetan people against their illegal occupation of their country. Coming to India with only a few monks and no money, he received a small parcel of land in Southern India, a few thousand rupees, and an elephant. Almost single-handedly His Holiness built a large monastery to house all those who would come after him. Today that monastery is the largest Tibetan Buddhist monastery anywhere, including Tibet. Its shedra (monastic university) is the largest as well, and the quality of the khenpos it produces is without equal. Every act of His Holiness is directed towards benefitting beings, not himself. To heap slander upon him is the worst kind of offense.

I would encourage anyone who reads this to spread the word about this travesty so that it comes to an immediate halt.

Love to all,

Palzang

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited March 2009
    Ever heard of the Streisand Effect?

It's best to leave trolls alone. Nobody cares what they're saying until you give it credence by making it a point to try and counter it all.

People understand that there is always a naysayer, and that there are a lot of idiots in the world. I look at the people who slander my Kung Fu teacher online and laugh at their incompetence. I can't think of anything they could say that would cause me to engage them.

It's very disturbing the first time it happens; I understand. As someone who's dealt with more than their fair share of trolls though, trust me. It isn't worth your time and energy, and will likely cause you more grief.

http://xkcd.com/386/
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2009
    Jihad!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Palzang-la,

My heart goes out to you and your brothers and sisters in the community.My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time

What I write now may press heavily on our e-friendship and I trust that you will understand that it arises from past experience, current reflection and deepest respect for you and, through you, for your teachers.

My first reaction on reading your post was a familiar one: scandalised anger and a movement towards retaliation. It's always so with me when friends are attacked. Because it was familiar, I caught it in the net of my practice and realised that it was unprofitable.

Returning to your post and reading it all through, I became troubled that your community appears to be responding to these attacks by losing equanimity and benevolence. May this not be precisely the opportunity that the community needs? A chance to demonstrate the strength of Dharma training?

Neither the Dharma nor your venerable teachers can be damaged in any real way by slanders. In both physical and psychological therapy, we know that the point of resistance is precisely where we must bring our efforts to bear. In teaching "a new thing" and in showing people a way out of suffering which challenges people to change their lives, we must meet opposition and that opposition can be both vitriolic and violent.

Following Jetsunma's example, may I borrow from the Christ texts?
    "Blessed are you when people abuse you and persecute you and speak all kinds of calumny against you.... Rejoice and be glad."

The other thing is that whenever you get dog sh*t on your shoes, it is better to wipe it off and leave it behind than to carry it on your sole into the house.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Excuse me, but I think you all missed the point here. For one thing, morons like this guy can and do cast doubt into the minds of students who are searching for a path, thus preventing them from finding their teacher. Secondly, we are very concerned for the future of this individual for he is accumulating the worst possible karma. Essentially he is denying his own buddhanature, and this is the cause for rebirth in the very worst of hell realms. So it is out of concern for those he wishes to lead away from the path and for him as well that we speak out, not for "revenge" or "retaliation". His karma will take care of that all by itself.

Palzang
    edited March 2009
    Thank you for the clarification, dear friend.

I shall continue to offer such benefit as accrues from my practice for your well-being.
  • edited March 2009
    Well said Simon. It's hard to see such attacks as anything "positive" but they make us look into our minds.

We cannot police another's karma.

I am always reminded of Tilopa's words:
    Pure space has neither colour nor shape
    And it cannot be stained either black or white;
    So also, mind’s essence is beyond both colour and shape
    And it cannot be sullied by black or white deeds.
    Namaste
    Kris
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    It's not about "policing someone else's karma". It's about protecting the Dharma. Let me posit a hypothetical situation: suppose someone were standing with a gun pointed at a child's head threatening to blow the child's brains out. Would you just stand by and not "police their karma", or would you do something about it if you could? It's the same thing, except in the case of the Dharma it's even more important than just one life.

Palzang
    edited March 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    It's not about "policing someone else's karma". It's about protecting the Dharma. Let me posit a hypothetical situation: suppose someone were standing with a gun pointed at a child's head threatening to blow the child's brains out. Would you just stand by and not "police their karma", or would you do something about it if you could? It's the same thing, except in the case of the Dharma it's even more important than just one life.

I'm sorry, Palzang, but it's not the same thing. Not even close. There is no comparison between someone threatening to shoot a child and someone talking smack on the internet. Someone talking smack about Penor Rinpoche, your teacher and others in your sangha is just that, talk. I mean, if there's no truth to what they're saying, then what's there to worry about? I mean no disrespect, but what really needs protecting here, the Dharma or your reputations?
  • edited March 2009
    Palzang-la,

My heart goes out to you and your brothers and sisters in the community.My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time

What I write now may press heavily on our e-friendship and I trust that you will understand that it arises from past experience, current reflection and deepest respect for you and, through you, for your teachers.

My first reaction on reading your post was a familiar one: scandalised anger and a movement towards retaliation. It's always so with me when friends are attacked. Because it was familiar, I caught it in the net of my practice and realised that it was unprofitable.

Returning to your post and reading it all through, I became troubled that your community appears to be responding to these attacks by losing equanimity and benevolence. May this not be precisely the opportunity that the community needs? A chance to demonstrate the strength of Dharma training?

Neither the Dharma nor your venerable teachers can be damaged in any real way by slanders. In both physical and psychological therapy, we know that the point of resistance is precisely where we must bring our efforts to bear. In teaching "a new thing" and in showing people a way out of suffering which challenges people to change their lives, we must meet opposition and that opposition can be both vitriolic and violent.

Following Jetsunma's example, may I borrow from the Christ texts?
    "Blessed are you when people abuse you and persecute you and speak all kinds of calumny against you.... Rejoice and be glad."

The other thing is that whenever you get dog sh*t on your shoes, it is better to wipe it off and leave it behind than to carry it on your sole into the house.

Once again Simon jumps in a steals all of the words from my mouth but then, somehow, is much more eloquent in iterating them than I would be.

All joking aside, Palzang, my friend, I understand how the defacement of your teachers would be disturbing for you and all of your brothers and sisters and my heart goes out to you. I`m breathing with you.

For me, abuse is like a gift - you have to unwrap it before it really comes to life. To refuse the gift is simply the easiest thing to do.
  • edited March 2009
    It's about protecting the Dharma.

Hi Palzang,
    The Dharma is understood by sincere students and requires no protection. This bloke sounds like he's getting a buzz out of slandering your teacher and you have taken the bait. Your reaction is feeding him - fueling his ego and no doubt helping him to justify any future attacks.

"He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'' in those who harbour such thoughts hatred is not appeased".

Namaste
    Kris
    edited March 2009
    Palzang-la and all dear friends,

Please understand that I think we should be reflecting most seriously on these events. They are not some sort of exercise: this is action under genuine fire. This is where our practice is tested.

Not one of us can have escaped the anger impulse, even apparently justified anger, righteous anger on another's behalf. Here we have venerable and respected teachers being traduced - it's unpleasant at the very least. And can we genuinely judge or criticise those who react when we have been there ourselves? The point is: how do I react? Do I allow this scratch to fester and let poison into my calm mind?

My thoughts and prayers remain with all those now in conflict that they may find calm abiding again very soon.

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Well, this is not just some "bloke" who is doing this. It is a convicted felon who just got out of prison for beating up and raping his ex-wife, then torching her business. Now he's going around pretending to be a tulku! Nice, huh? He's pissed at us because we outed him. So now he's wallowing in revenge and hatred by engaging in this vileness.

I'm not particularly worried about the Dharma. It, as you say, doesn't need protection. However, I would remind you that there was no Dharma in this world until Lord Buddha taught it. Before that there was only misery, suffering and hopelessness with the prospect of staying stuck on the wheel of death and rebirth for eternity. The Buddha also predicted that the Dharma would again disappear during these very dark times in which we are currently living. But only if we let it happen. It is just these purveyors of hatred and perverted views - and our tolerance of same - that will kill the Dharma off. That is why we need to protect it. It is all nice and so superior to stay above the fray and philosophize as to why this demon should be ignored, but that's only true if the Dharma is of no value to you. Just as you would do anything to protect your child, we must also do the same for the Dharma if we value it at all.

Palzang
    edited March 2009
    srivijaya wrote: »
    The Dharma is understood by sincere students and requires no protection. This bloke sounds like he's getting a buzz out of slandering your teacher and you have taken the bait. Your reaction is feeding him - fueling his ego and no doubt helping him to justify any future attacks.

"He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'' in those who harbour such thoughts hatred is not appeased".

Well said, Kris.
  • edited March 2009
    Well, this is not just some "bloke" who is doing this. It is a convicted felon who just got out of prison for beating up and raping his ex-wife, then torching her business.
    So, no redemption then?
    Now he's going around pretending to be a tulku! Nice, huh? He's pissed at us because we outed him. So now he's wallowing in revenge and hatred by engaging in this vileness.
    I see, it's a nasty festering kind of affair, with damage done on both sides.
    The Buddha also predicted that the Dharma would again disappear during these very dark times in which we are currently living. But only if we let it happen.
    A bit of perspective needed here Pally.
    It is all nice and so superior to stay above the fray and philosophize as to why this demon should be ignored, but that's only true if the Dharma is of no value to you.
    It is precisely because I value it so much, that I take the view that we must question our own motives. It's not "being superior" or "staying above the fray" to tackle anger which arises like a poison in our minds. This is the real demon, as Buddha explained.

Namaste
    Kris
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2009
    Whilst I fully understand, absorb and accept the different Points of View and perspectives being aired here, I think it is primarily of importance to heed the request for support that Palzang is making here, to his on-line fellow newbuddhist 'sangha' members.
    Pally is asking for our help.

There is nothing incorrect in what anything anyone is saying, but Palzang is an ordained monk, and even though he is subject to the same effects that the influence of emotions and feelings awaken in all of us, we should perhaps consider our intentions carefully when we suggest to him the course of action we feel he should be taking.
    In many ways, his life is simpler than ours: He has his time outlined and pre-determined so that he has time during the day to meditate and to study.
    'Luxuries' we have to incorporate into our busy lay-schedules, making periods of votive devotion difficult to pre-determine and predict.

However, he also faces more difficulties than we do, precisely because of his status: he is expected to behave, think and speak in a particuar way at all times, and is subject to criticism should he fail.
    Whatever our opinions of his perception, opinions or request, we should first and foremost consider that he is our brother.
    And as such, because he has requested our support, our first consideration should be how to best comply with his request.

He rarely asks for help.
    That doesn't mean we should rarely give it.
    edited March 2009
    Again, well said, Kris.
    edited March 2009
    federica wrote: »
    He rarely asks for help.
    That doesn't mean we should rarely give it.

And I think that is precisely what we are doing, Fede, even if it might not seem that way. Sometimes we must say things that we believe to be true and beneficial even though they may be difficult to hear (MN 58).
    edited March 2009
    I fully appreciate what it's like getting slandered on the Internet, and it took me a long time to be able to acknowledge it for what it usually is: meaningless.

In matters of Dharma and Buddhist practice, I am but the greenest of novices compared to Palzang. In matters of dealing with Internet slander and conflict though, I like to think I have some experience to impart.

For my part, I honestly consider my previous post to be the best help I could give in this situation.
    edited March 2009
    I completely agree, Matt. I think it is excellent advice, even if it is sometimes hard to follow. My first response, on the other hand, was rather cheeky and probably not all that helpful compared to yours.
  • edited March 2009
    If one were thinking of how such slander would affect oneself, perhaps it would be best to turn it in one's mind with Dharma in an effort to pacify the poisons causing one to be "angry" or react in a non-conducive manner; but it would seem that Palzang (and Jetsunma, I would venture) is not concerned for himself here, nor His Holiness, nor Jetsunma, and not likely even for those practitioners who already know better than to heed such slander, but rather for those who do not already know better; those who have a true desire to liberate themselves from attachment/suffering and thus break the chains of Samsara in order to be of most benefit to others and likewise lead them to the recognition of their own true nature. Aspiring Bodhisattva's such as they are the ones for whom this slander could prove most tragic, for if they are in some way deterred by the poison of doubt while seeking a pure Lama, and they subsequently turn away from the very mirror which would perfectly reflect their true nature while pointing out each step to take in pursuit of perfect liberation, what can you possibly think of that would be as tragic? If someone is leading you away from liberation (away from the guidance of a pure and fully realized Lama) then they are turning you towards Samsara, which is synonymous with suffering.

I don't think it would do to only consider what you and I might think when we look at this situation; if someone didn't know much of anything about the Buddha Dharma but came accross content advising that one should avoid a certain Teacher and were given however many reasons not to, how would they know it was bullshit? If they didn't really check it out but decided to just avoid the whole thing, that slander would have been effective, and where there was perhaps a small amount of karma enabling a student to reconnect with, HH for instance, then it could well be that the karma would ripen in such a way that in this life that student was able to hear of HH but, because of the effort of this individual, and the lack of experience/understanding of the perspective student who had to revolve in Samsara for 426,573,234,682 lifetimes just to see/hear HH's name, that opportunity was missed, and that student may have just missed the boat which was waiting for him to sail across the ocean of suffering, and due to that student's karma a boat of such caliber might not appear again to that student for many many lifetimes.

This, I believe, is why an effort like that cannot go unchallenged; if there is little or no opposition to the slander, how would one readily learn of its untruthful nature. A Dharma practitioner knows that our opinions are subject to faults, but it is not opinion that purposefully misinforming prospective students about the qualities of a Lama is non-virtuous, that's slandering a being whose only goal is to be of benefit to all others. While this person is deserving of great compassion, what they are doing is not ok and should not be ignored, just as a serial killer should not be allowed to roam the streets just because he too is deserving of great compassion. Being compassionate doesn't mean you have to be a pushover (that's a general statement and not one aimed at those with opposing views) or let people get away with murder, and do not be fooled, "killing" someone’s chance of making great strides towards their ultimate liberation through the blessings and guidance of a pure Lama is worse than murder, it does not only affect that student but also every single sentient being that student could have helped.

Indeed we must question our own motives; but it would seem Palzang's motive here is to carry out his/our Lama's instructions, in Vajrayana Buddhism this is done at all cost, least of witch might be criticism. Tulku Jetsunma Ahkon Norbu Lhamo has been recognized by many well known and highly accomplished masters, and by their own accounts she too is a very highly accomplished master, punctuated by the fact that she was the first Western woman to be recognized as a Tulku the Tibetan Buddhist Tradition and she was Enthroned as a Lineage Holder of the very pure Palyul Lineage.

I hope none take offense in what I say/write, but if you do, I hope you don’t let that feeling go so far that you can’t see it’s a reaction to what you’ve read. The facts are that this person is slandering a truly pure monk and great Bodhisattva, a being whose only purpose is to end suffering. Soft or strong, words are words, please do not let them get you rattled into a defensive posture where your heart and mind are closed to the truth of things; slandering a pure and authentic Lama = bad, contradicting untruthful statements that could deny one truly awesome blessings on their path to liberation = good.

Be well.

Om Ah Hung Benzar Guru Pedma Siddhi Hung
    edited March 2009
    Simon raised an interesting question earlier when he asked, "... can we genuinely judge or criticise those who react when we have been there ourselves?" Now that I am home, I thought I would share a similar experience I had concerning Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

About three years ago, when I was more heavily involved in online discussion forums, there was a fair amount of criticism being directed at Thanissaro Bhikkhu, and I took it upon myself to defend him in these discussions. After one particular incident, I wrote a very long and detailed analysis/defense of The Not-self Strategy. Later on, I wrote a letter to Thanissaro Bhikkhu describing the situation, and asking whether the things I wrote faithfully represented his position.

Not long after, I received a reply. In it, he mentioned that the words were fine, but he expressed concern that the experience of having to defend him against critics had left me full of doubt. He said this showed that something behind the words was wrong.

He said that part of the issue may simply be the problem of discussing the Dhamma on the web—that you do not know who is prowling out there, with what intentions or what level of attainment. He even advised me that it might be better to stay away from discussion groups because they do not seem all that helpful in settling questions of Dhamma. He even said, with some humour I imagine, that, "No one has ever been enlightened while engaging in a chat group."

He went on the say that finding the truth of the Dhamma can come only with practice, and that, fortunately, the Buddha laid out some very clear guidelines on how to test his teachings. He advised me to build on what I know is true, and not on the words and opinions of others. He closed the letter by saying: "As Ajaan Fuang once said in a Dhamma talk (see Timeless & True), you learn the truth by being true."

I think that there is a lot of wisdom in those words, and they closely mirror what Matt and Kris have already said. They also remind me of the Buddha's teachings regarding the eight worldly winds, particularly praise and blame, especially the beginning of DN 1:
    'Brethren, if outsiders should speak against me, or against the Doctrine, or against the Order, you should not on that account either bear malice, or suffer heart-burning, or feel ill will. If you, on that account, should be angry and hurt, that would stand in the way of your own self-conquest. If, when others speak against us, you feel angry at that, and displeased, would you then be able to judge how far that speech of theirs is well said or ill?'

'That would not be so, Sir.'

'But when outsiders speak in dispraise of me, or of the Doctrine, or of the Order, you should unravel what is false and point it out as wrong, saying: "For this or that reason this is not the fact, that is not so, such a thing is not found among us, is not in us."'

'But also, brethren, if outsiders should speak in praise of me, in praise of the Doctrine, in praise of the Order, you should not, on that account, be filled with pleasure or gladness, or be lifted up in heart. Were you to be so that also would stand in the way of your self-conquest. When outsiders speak in praise of me, or of the Doctrine, or of the Order, you should acknowledge what is right to be the fact, saying: "For this or that reason this is the fact, that is so, such a thing is found among us, is in us."'
    edited March 2009
    Sangye Phuntsok,
    This, I believe, is why an effort like that cannot go unchallenged; if there is little or no opposition to the slander, how would one readily learn of its untruthful nature.

First, I would like to welcome you to the forum. :)

That said, I agree with you to an extent, but what concerns me is how this is being done. My first response, while admittedly cheeky and probably not the most helpful, was trying to point out how angry and militant the OP sounded.

If there have been false accusations levelled at Penor Rinpoche, Palzang's teacher and others in his sangha, then those can be dealt with accordingly; however, saying that such a person is either "insane, stupendously ignorant or demonic" and rallying others to "rise to the defense of His Holiness and defend him against such filth" seems rather counterproductive to me.

Perhaps I am being overly judgmental in my assessment, or simply ignorant as to how Vajrayana works, but I seriously do not think that bashing an anonymous blogger who been saying some negative things on the internet will solve the problem.

Best wishes,

Jason
  • edited March 2009
    Some fine quotes there Jason.
    edited March 2009
    Sangye, welcome to NewBuddhist. :)

It seems like you're saying "some people are too uneducated to differentiate slander from truth on the Internet, so we have to engage to make sure they know."

I submit that if someone is so easily swayed by a random person's words on the Internet, than you have little hope of offering them guidance. If they are truly so inept as to take everyone's words at face value, how will you convince them your own are "better"?

It seems to me that your teachings, traditions, and reputations are easily distinguishable from that of a charlatan and could easily weather his flames without fanning them. :)
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited March 2009
    "If something's really good, you don't have to advertise."

Anyone that would be reading such a blog in the first place my friend, would have already heard of the dharma. And the truth if it will always out-shine the negative effects this individual may be placing on it. While I cannot know the situation in full it seems more like a personal attack towards a single individual and not the dharma, perhaps perspective should be used here?

From many of your post I gather the assumption of you being a wonderful being and one would beg to believe that it is beneath you to begin labeling such an individual with harmful names and gossiping about said individuals past. We all make mistakes my friend but, our past does not define us and the past is exactly that, the past nothing could be changed of it even if this person wished they could. We are what we are, so it is unfair of us to hold such actions of his past against him today. It also might help remembering that to enforce your view of this person onto others (idle chatter) will also create negative karma. I find when I begin to find myself falling into a pit much like this that it is best to reevaluate my own faults to find the delusions that allow me to progress so far down the wrong path. I wish you the best of luck.

“In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.”

“Blaming has no positive effect at all, nor does trying to persuade using reason and argument. That is my experience. No blame, no reasoning, no argument, just understanding. If you understand, and you show that you understand, you can love, and the situation will change.”
  • edited March 2009
    Perhaps an opportunity is being missed here. The man, despite his past, is clearly interested in the Dharma, even if his interest is manifesting in misguided actions. Would it not be better to engage him in constructive dialogue - to take him that extra mile?

Just a suggestion.
  • edited March 2009
    There are some excellent points being stated in this thread, all of which should be considered. Something else to add, in my very novice opinion, in regards to developing Bodichitta we should also remember to have compassion for the man who has started the slander - as he is doing what he is doing out of ignorance. Touching on what Srivijaya has said. When harnessing loving compassion, it is almost always the most difficult to focus our practice on those we 'hate' or feel negativly towards. Though this is often the most juicy material to work with - an excellent source of developing Bodichitta.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    ...and can the Dharma truly be slandered by some dips**t?
    edited March 2009
    Magwang wrote: »
    ...and can the Dharma truly be slandered by some dips**t?
    Bahahaha! :lol: How succinctly put. Favorite response thus far.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Perhaps an opportunity is being missed here. The man, despite his past, is clearly interested in the Dharma, even if his interest is manifesting in misguided actions. Would it not be better to engage him in constructive dialogue - to take him that extra mile?

Just a suggestion.
    The creep is only interested in the Dharma insofar as he can use it to attack Dharma centers and teachers, steal from them, and draw students away from the Dharma. I really think it would behoove us to take these threats more seriously. There are people out there who would be very happy to see Buddhism destroyed. You can't play nicy-nice with them. They just see that as an expression of weakness that they can exploit. We have had direct contact with this demon, and it was not a good experience.

Palzang
  • edited March 2009
    The creep is only interested in the Dharma insofar as he can use it to attack Dharma centers and teachers, steal from them, and draw students away from the Dharma. I really think it would behoove us to take these threats more seriously. There are people out there who would be very happy to see Buddhism destroyed. You can't play nicy-nice with them. They just see that as an expression of weakness that they can exploit. We have had direct contact with this demon, and it was not a good experience.

Palzang

Hi Palzang,
    Thanks for replying. Well at least you have tried to reason with him but it seems to have failed which is a pity. By all means warn people but bear in mind that the only time a demon can draw anyone away from the dharma is when the demons of desire and anger draw us away from our equanimity. The dharma begins and ends within our minds and even this person is a mother sentient being who will need to be helped.
    If there is anger, there is no dharma IMHO.

Hang in there mate.

Namaste
    Kris
    edited March 2009
    If it's libel, you always have legal recourse.
  • edited March 2009
    Lincoln wrote: »
    If it's libel, you always have legal recourse.

Well, it wouldn't suit us effeminate Europeans but I see there's a more down to earth way of settling differences in parts of the USA.
    It may be a good way for Pally to deal with the issue:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090320/twl-teachers-forced-pupils-into-cage-fig-3fd0ae9.html
    Teachers forced unruly pupils to settle their disputes at school with brutal bare-knuckle cage fights, a report says.
    Staff at the school in Dallas were provided with "gladiator-style entertainment", whistleblowers have claimed.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2009
    The greatest slandering of the Dhamma is to have 'doubt', to regard things as 'holy' and to have 'self-view'. There is no entering for those who slander emptiness & suchness. :cool:
  • edited March 2009
    Hello Palzang, my good wishes go out to you, your teachers and your Sangha. May difficult circumstances be pacified.

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Hi Palzang,
    Thanks for replying. Well at least you have tried to reason with him but it seems to have failed which is a pity. By all means warn people but bear in mind that the only time a demon can draw anyone away from the dharma is when the demons of desire and anger draw us away from our equanimity. The dharma begins and ends within our minds and even this person is a mother sentient being who will need to be helped.
    If there is anger, there is no dharma IMHO.

You're right, the only way a demon can get in is if you open the door, i.e. if you do not maintain vigilance against the "demons of desire". But I would remind you that compassion does not always involve being "nice". That's called idiot compassion. So you always have to try to determine what is appropriate, not just for one person, but for the benefit of all sentient beings.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Well, it wouldn't suit us effeminate Europeans but I see there's a more down to earth way of settling differences in parts of the USA.
    It may be a good way for Pally to deal with the issue:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090320/twl-teachers-forced-pupils-into-cage-fig-3fd0ae9.html

Oh, yeah, perfect solution. BTW, did I mention this clown claims to have been a CIA operative (read: assassin) in Vietnam and has written books on how to kill someone with just your bare hands or a knife?

Palzang
  • edited March 2009
    I would remind you that compassion does not always involve being "nice". That's called idiot compassion.

Hi Palzang,
    I'll have to defer to your knowledge in the area of "compassion". After years of studying the Mahayana, I'm no nearer to understanding what it is and I doubt I ever will be.
    On the one hand I was told that a Boddhisattva, upon seeing a starving being, could transform into a meal for them. On the other hand I saw "wrathful compassion" in action, which was used to hammer free-thinking people into line in order to defend the doctrine - sometimes with nasty consequences.

Nowadays I keep away from such considerations and just watch where my minds at. It's not very exciting or ambitious but I can at least understand it.

Namaste
  • edited March 2009
    We can begin to understand the true nature of compassion through the practice of mindfulness and regular meditation. In a general sense, listening to others with an open mind (and a deep breath!)can help to minimise conflict. Sometimes, however, its necessary to just walk away and let it go. Intutive awareness gained from regular meditation practice and mindfulness can aid us in dealing with difficult situations where endless conflict does not provide a satisfactory outcome.
    Can we effectively say "May only some sentient beings have happiness and the causes of happiness" when we contemplate the Four Immeasurables? I don't think so.

There are many kinds of beings in this world - a beautiful object of inspiration and nourishment to one might be a boring potato to another. It's all relative.

• edited March 2009
    Dazzle, I think that is well said.
  • edited March 2009
    Palzang - I send my prayers to all of you, and hope for peace.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    One can only practice true compassion when one gets oneself out of the way.

Palzang
  • edited March 2009
    Palzang-la,

I would personally find it difficult to preserve my bodhisattva vow not to exclude others from my loving concern while calling someone a creep and a moron. I understand why you are upset at someone insulting His Holiness but we really must not respond with anger and self-righteousness, no matter how good that makes us feel. It is a very easy justification for us to say that we are practicing compassion for an evildoer by our great wrath, but is your heart of hearts truly breaking for this poor sentient being as if he was your only son about to fall off a high cliff? If not, please reconsider your words.

Such harsh speech does not reflect well on our community and only serves to call attention to this poor unfortunate person's critique. We really do have higher and more effective skillful means to deal with such adversity than by initiating flame wars on message boards.

Again, I completely understand your outrage. I took refuge with HH Penor Rinpoche in 1988 and have received many precious teachings from him. I am deeply saddened that anyone could say anything critical of His Holiness whose every moment is consumed in benefit of others. Certainly let us tell of Rinpoche's boundless merits, but please let us leave off the ad hominem attacks on his detractors.

It truly is best not to feed the trolls.

With love and best wishes.

Namgyal
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    I understand where you're coming from, Namgyal. However, moron is as moron does. What could be more moronic than trashing the Dharma? Just an example: his reaction to the death of His Holiness Penor Rinpoche yesterday was to start a new hate blog trashing the Palyul lineage, which was the lineage His Holiness headed for most of his life.

Regardless of what you may think, I hold no rancor for this confused being. Quite the contrary. I understand the horrible suffering he is creating for himself and can only feel compassion for him and his minions.

However, the Dharma must be protected. Now, I have people tell me that the Dharma doesn't need protection. I agree. The Dharma is stainless and beyond anything that samsaric beings can do to it. What really needs to be protected is our access to the Dharma. That is something that can be lost. The Dharma has been under attack ever since the Buddha's first teaching. First there were the tirthikas, the heretics who attacked the validity of the Dharma. The Buddha defeated the tirthikas. But the attacks continue. There is nowhere on earth where it is completely safe. Remember what happened to the Dharma in India, the place of its birth? Remember what happened to Tibet? Any time you have something as pure and perfect as the Dharma in the world you will have a counter force attacking it. That's just the way it is. So we must always be vigilant and agressive in protecting it. I know that's not a particular popular view, but in fact it is the truth.

The monastic community are the ones who have always done this. In fact, we would have no Dharma at all to practice were it not for the heroic efforts of the early monks who preserved the teachings and passed them on orally for centuries in a pure and perfect form until they were finally written down. Nothing has changed. The buck still stops here. Whenever and wherever an attack comes, it is mainly up to the monastic community to act to preserve the Dharma, to protect the teachers, to protect the purity of the teachings. This is especially true of Vajrayana which is particularly vulnerable because it depends completely on the teacher-student relationship.

I wish we could all just sit on our cushions blissed out in perfect samadhi, but unfortunately that doesn't come without a price. You can't just think good thoughts and hope it'll all go away because if you do that, you will find that very soon the Dharma will go away instead. Remember that for millions of aeons before the appearance of the Buddha there was no Dharma here on this insignificant little planet. It can be like that again if we allow it.

Palzang
  • edited March 2009
    Buddha said:

" Don't speak harshly to anyone;
    What you say will be said back to you.
    Hostile speech is painful,
    And you will meet with retaliation.

If like a broken bell,
    You do not reverberate,
    Then you have attained Nirvana
    And no hostilty is found in you."

(Dhammapada 10 v133 & 134)

• edited March 2009
    Regardless of what you may think, I hold no rancor for this confused being. Quite the contrary. I understand the horrible suffering he is creating for himself and can only feel compassion for him and his minions.

However, the Dharma must be protected.

I think that there are some important larger lessons in this thread beyond the immediate circumstance so please forgive that I am so emphatic in my argument, though a newcomer to this board.

One can point to Tibetan history to countless examples of conflict-- even armed conflict, between the various schools of Tibetan Buddhism. Often, as with the closing of the Jonangpa monasteries and burning of their texts, the protagonists couched their language in just these terms of protecting the Dharma from "decay".

I feel strongly that we should leave these conflicts in their country of origin. It is very easy to respond with anger to what one sees as an attack on what one holds dear and it can feel very satisfying and empowering to feel righteousness. There is nothing particularly Buddhist about this sort of "passionate intensity". In fact, it smacks of the same emotion as the cries of jihad by Islamic fundamentalists and the issuing of death threats by their leaders when a Danish paper published a caricature of Mohammed or Salman Rushdie published The Satanic Verses.

Palzang, people do not have "minions". They have friends, colleagues or allies. When all of your language is so condescending towards this person I find it very hard to believe your protestations of compassion. Please reflect on the fate of this person. It should break your heart, not boil your blood.

Now, I have people tell me that the Dharma doesn't need protection. I agree. The Dharma is stainless and beyond anything that samsaric beings can do to it. What really needs to be protected is our access to the Dharma. That is something that can be lost.

Our access to the teachings is lost by not keeping the three trainings pure, for instance by excluding objects of compassion, or using harsh speech towards the wish-fulfilling jewel, our mother sentient beings.

The Dharma has been under attack ever since the Buddha's first teaching. First there were the tirthikas, the heretics who attacked the validity of the Dharma. The Buddha defeated the tirthikas. But the attacks continue.

The so-called tirthikas were not heretics. They were the practitioners of sanatanadharma (that which was later misnamed "Hinduism" by the British colonialists) and hence orthodox. They did not physically attack or accost the Buddha, nor did he respond by mocking them. He defeated them in debate. Those pandits that were defeated by him took refuge in him and became his disciples. This is the only way to profitably defeat, by mutual respect and engagement.

There is nowhere on earth where it is completely safe. Remember what happened to the Dharma in India, the place of its birth?

The Dharma in India was destroyed by the zealous bloodthirst of the invading Muslim armies. Nalanda's libraries and buildings burned, its monks were slaughtered. Are you suggesting that the proper response for a monk would have been then to take up arms? If the mahapandits of Nalanda did not see armed defence as having dharmic sanction, why do you think that a verbal attack by a charlatan is of the same order?

Remember what happened to Tibet? Any time you have something as pure and perfect as the Dharma in the world you will have a counter force attacking it. That's just the way it is.

Have you studied Tibetan history? It is characterized by constant internecine strife alongside the soaring heights of its scholarly and meditative accomplishments. The seeds of the Chinese invasion were sown by the actions of the Tibetan people themselves. Such is karma. This does not make it any less of a tragedy, nor does it absolve the Chinese of responsibility for the heinous crimes they have committed. But let's not make Tibet into Camelot.

I wish we could all just sit on our cushions blissed out in perfect samadhi, but unfortunately that doesn't come without a price. You can't just think good thoughts and hope it'll all go away because if you do that, you will find that very soon the Dharma will go away instead.

Do you really mean this? Do you really subscribe to the view that the skillful means of vajrayana are just "thinking good thoughts"? Are meditative practices of only psychological significance?

If we engage in harsh words, if we attack in a like manner when we are verbally attacked, we have already lost the Dharma. The true warrior repays anger with kindness and this is the only way to win any battle we face. Look to the current example of HH Dalai Lama who has consistently met the aggression of the Chinese government with compassion and kind words. I have not been able to find a single scriptural source in support of the viewpoint that you are espousing. On the contrary, time and again I find the same sentiment:

"When seeing a being who is compelled to act in violent ways, causing wrongs and suffering, I shall hold dear this one so hard to find as though discovering a precious treasure." - Langri Tangpa

Please accept these comments in a spirit of kindly concern.

Your dharma brother,

Namgyal
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    You're quite right - people do not have minions. I know that. I meant exactly what I said. Every word.

Palzang
  • edited March 2009
    Are meditative practices of only psychological significance?

Hi Thubten Namgyal,
    This is a very profound point.
    Namaste
    edited March 2009
    Hi Thubten Namgyal,
    This is a very profound point.
    Namaste
    I think this question of Thubten Namgya's deserves a thread of its own so i shall open one
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited March 2009
    [FONT=&quot]Namgyal that was quite a wonderful post. I enjoyed it quite a bit, thank you. [/FONT]