Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

my way

BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
edited March 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Is belonging to a specific tradition a requirement? Is there such a thing as a non-denominational Buddhist?

For instance, Zen first drew me to Buddhism, but after reading about it (perhaps it too much Watts) the abstractness of some of the ideas and the relentless ritual drive me nuts. Pure Land makes no sense to me at all. Theravada didn't quite fit either but I can't remember why right this moment.

Can I simply follow the precepts and the basics of Buddhism and still be a Buddhist? Does scripture help? Does the ritual help?

So far this all feels like something I need to do on my own and in my own way. That's been how I've done most things my whole life. Is it just the first step? Sorry for the rambling.:smilec:

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2009
    Took me 20 years to 'pitch my tent' in Theravada. Until then, I learnt, marked, absorbed, and wandered along the path, in my own way, taking my time.

Every now and then, I'd stop, remove my backpack, lean my staff against the tree, and have a snack, as I gazed on the surrounding terrain, to get my bearings.

A salutary pause, now and then, does no end of good.
    You gather your thoughts, take some nourishment, and then, pick up, pack up and move on.

It's such a wonderful walk!
  • edited March 2009
    BaileyD wrote: »
    Is belonging to a specific tradition a requirement? Is there such a thing as a non-denominational Buddhist?

For instance, Zen first drew me to Buddhism, but after reading about it (perhaps it too much Watts) the abstractness of some of the ideas and the relentless ritual drive me nuts. Pure Land makes no sense to me at all. Theravada didn't quite fit either but I can't remember why right this moment.

Can I simply follow the precepts and the basics of Buddhism and still be a Buddhist? Does scripture help? Does the ritual help?

So far this all feels like something I need to do on my own and in my own way. That's been how I've done most things my whole life. Is it just the first step? Sorry for the rambling.:smilec:

Yes, of course. It's best to read the Pali suttas to provide a good basis. It doesn't make you a Theravadan, just gives you some very important information. It's even better to find a meditation which works for you, then it really is "your" path, and not what someone else is telling you.

Go for it.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2009
    BaileyD,
    BaileyD wrote: »

Most Buddhist I have talked agree that belonging to a specific tradition is not a requirement. However, they also agree that once you find a teacher, tradition or meditation method that really speaks to, it is good to stick with that teacher, tradition or meditation method.

The reason is that the practice takes time to develop, and if you are continuously jumping around from one teacher, tradition or meditation method to another, you will never gain the optimum benefits that the practice has to offer.

My advice is to just shop around until you find something that feels right for you. I would strongly advise reading the teachings of the Buddha that are recorded in the Pali Canon, though. As srivijaya already mentioned, they give you some very important information.

Jason
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    I second what Jason said. Don't try to push the river. Go with the flow. When it feels right to choose, choose. If it doesn't feel right, don't. Sometimes, as Fede said and I experienced, it takes a long time.

Palzang
  • edited March 2009
    My view is that after some prior investigation its good to try to understand and practice the tradition one feels most drawn towards. However I think its essential to begin with the study of the teachings of the Buddha first before taking a look at Mahayana and Vajrayana.
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for all the input everyone. It's nice to know I have a place to ask my questions. :D I've been drawn to Zen from the beginning and have recently been purchasing a lot of Thich Nhat Hanh's books. Haven't read many of them yet but working through my stack to get to them.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    You might also like "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi. One of my favorite books.

Palzang
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited March 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    You might also like "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi. One of my favorite books.

Palzang

I think that was the second Buddhist book I ever read. It was very good. I don't, however, recommend anything by Alan Watts as your first real Zen book.:)