Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Fasting

BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
edited March 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I was curious about the role of fasting in the laypersons life.

I just started my dog an a new diet that includes fasting days and decided that it wouldn't be fair to her if she was the only one not eating, so I joined in the fast. I was wondering how this could be included into my blossoming practice. Or not.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2009
    First of all, as a dog behaviourist, I think it's a very good idea to make your dog skip meals now and then. As dogs are 96% genetically wolves, and wolves don't eat every day, and even then, they don't have a strict time routine - it does no dog any harm at all to either skip an occasional meal, or have their feeding times varied.
    I recommend a raw food diet for dogs, too. Have a look at this website.

Secondly - I think it's a great idea for us as humans to go on a fast too, but I recommend you make sure you're in good health. My partner for example, could go on a fast, but as a recently-diagnosed Type II diabetic, he has to watch his intake, and not cut foods dangerously.

What kind of fast are you doing?
    It's best to ease into it.....

And why did you decide to make your dog fast? (Not in the running sense, you know.....;) )

Some traditions dictate that Monks and the ordained, do not eat after midday.

This seems pretty sensible....
    I go on a fast twice a year, but I have to say, I don't do this as part of my spiritual practice, per se, but I do feel more self-aware during these times....
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2009
    I have heard that moderate fasting can sometimes aid in meditation. Try it out and see what happens.
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited March 2009
    I started my dog on the raw meat and bones diet and skipping meals and fasting is part of that. I try to feed at different times and skip a meal now and then and fast one day a week. This week it just seemed like I should fast with her. I don't know why. We both fasted for 24 hours with me only having water or fruit juice and her only having water (and whatever she could find in the yard to munch on.)

She has been on this diet for almost a month now and for some reason I felt the need to fast with her this week. It was easy and I slept really well. Think I will do it next week too.

We fasted yesterday and our afternoon walk was very nice and relaxing. The walk this morning before breakfast I found it a little hard to concentrate so I might not do that again. Long walks are still the closest to meditation that I do.
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited March 2009
    BaileyD
    I employ fasting several times a year. For me fasting is water only. I limit fasts to 3 days. Certainly your awareness will increase. Your mind becomes more lovely. Watch out for postural hypertension. With the water fast most males reach ketosis by the 2nd day. Your breath will develop a somewhat sickly sweet aroma. For a little background google Herbert M. Shelton, ND.
    the grackle
  • edited March 2009
    I too limit an occasional water only fast to no more than 3 days. Fasting isn't suitable for everyone, one needs to be mindful of any health issues.

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2009
    I know of no spiritual discipline that does not include fasting in some form or other. In the West, we have almost abandoned the practice and fill our shops with 100% more chocolate all through Lent. Our Muslim neighbours observe fasts as do the Jewish ones.

Dangers arise particularly where there is no respected tradition so that there is too little information within the community. An experienced 'guide' can make a lot of difference to the fruit we derive from our fasting.

Of course, it could be argued that the mediaeval traditions of fasting have been replaced by dieting.