Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha & Jesus

13»

Comments

• RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I found this post to be excellent.
    I'm no expert either. I'm just trying to make sense of what little I know.

I'm glad my thoughts make sense to someone besides myself. :-)
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Jason wrote: »
    I love Jesus.
    Which one? :-)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    One difference between Jesus and Buddha is Jesus offered homage to his Father whereas Buddha offered homage to no person (but did offer homage to the Dhamma).
    I have heard that on one occasion, when the Blessed One was newly self-awakened, he was staying at Uruvela on the bank of the Nerañjara River, at the foot of the Goatherd's Banyan Tree. Then, while he was alone and in seclusion, this line of thinking arose in his mind:

"I do not see another priest or contemplative more consummate in knowledge and vision of release than I, on whom I could dwell in dependence, honoring and respecting him."

"What if I were to dwell in dependence on this very Dhamma to which I have fully awakened, honoring and respecting it?"

Past Buddhas, future Buddhas,
    & he who is the Buddha now,
    removing the sorrow of many —
    all have dwelt, will dwell, he dwells,
    revering the true Dhamma.
    This, for Buddhas, is a natural law.

Garava Sutta
    All Buddhas honor the Dhamma (Natural Truth). They do not honor the Father (Brahma). This is just one of many differences between the Buddha & Jesus.

:)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Thank you for your comments, DD. I shall have to spend some time assimilating what you say.
    Hi Simon

I think assimilating what I am saying depends on the Mahayana teachings one has received. What I am saying may be unfamiliar to most.

When I received some Mahayana teachings from a Tibetan Geshe, I was taught as follows:

1. The Hinayana path is that for saving oneself by realising the laws of karma and emptiness.

2. The Mahayana path is developing bodhicitta, namely, the wish to relieve others from suffering.

3. The Vajrayana path is developing the beautiful and attractive qualities of a deity, which is a means of relieving suffering in others.

I would suggest there are not many beings who have mastered the Vajrayana path. The beings who have are those who make people feel really good when people are in their presence or hear their voice. These are the Metta Masters. These are the qualities emphasised in Jesus movies, when the listeners felt profoundly moved by the Sermon on the Mount.

So, for example, if we go to a Catholic mass, the ceremony is designed to peak at a certain point where the whole congregation feels forgiven, loved, purified and accepted.

This is what I am calling Vajrayana.

It is in contrast to when people are made to sit and meditate, to struggle and find their own internal peace. This is Hinayana.

Kind regards

:)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Well, there is that aspect of Vajrayana, but really Vajrayana is about transforming one's poisons into enlightened activity directly. That is both the method and the result.

Palzang
  • edited October 2009
    Liar, lunatic or lord? There is a fourth alternative - the life of Jesus is a Gnostic myth of initiation.