Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thich Nhat Hanh recommended reading

edited June 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hello. I'm still relatively new to Buddhism and have a little experience with the Mahayana tradition. However, stumbling on a book by Nhat Hanh (Peace is Every Step) in my local library left me wanting to read more by him. A trek down to my neighberhood used book store yielded "The Sun My Heart" and "Breathe! You're Alive." Excellent.

His prose style is simple and concise, very accessible, to me, the lay person.

I'd like to learn more from him about Buddhism in general, especially his thoughts on Zen and the Mahayana tradition. He's written so many books, where does one begin? or go further into.

Thank you

--Joe

p.s. I

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2009
    A very warm welcome to you Joe.

Feel free to stay for as long as you wish. You are amongst friends, and one of the best bunch of buddhists I've ever had the privilege to know......
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Warm welcome Joe !

Thich Nhat Hanh's home website is at Plum Village

He is a wonderful teacher and example of a practitioner in our modern world.

Best wishes
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2009
    Floating Abu has given you exactly the same link as I have, so I've deleted the one I put in my previous post....

Have a good look, it should prove to be just what you're looking for!
  • edited March 2009
    Thank you for the welcoming and the link, which is very informative and exactly what I was looking for.

--Joe
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Hi, Joe and welcome to the board!
  • edited April 2009
    After giving the titles I mentioned above (Peace Is Every Step, Breathe! You're Alive, and The Sun My Heart) each a generous thumbing through, its hard to say which is the definitive one that I, myself, would recommend to anyone asking me the same question I asked of you earlier. They're all beautiful.

Let my clarify the word beautiful a little more. Anyone wanting to read about meditation and a concise analysis of one of Buddha's most important sutras, then that person should point themselves towards Breathe! You're Alive. Nhat Hanh lays out the sutra line by line and gives each an analysis with anecdotes and bits of wisdom. Peace covers, I think, the whole of his zen and mindfullness "philosophy,": from daily activities --walking and working, play and eating -- to full sitting meditation. While The Sun My Heart couples his mindfullness teachings with more warm anecdotes and discovers from modern quantum physics. All great, I'd say.

Check them out. Sorry for the long message, and if you are reading this right now, then thank you for reading my post.
    edited April 2009
    Always a pleasure, Joe. ;)
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Thanks Joe
  • edited May 2009
    Nice to meet you, Joe! I am actually in the process of getting my hands on everything Master Thich Nhat Hanh has ever written. The Dali Lama recommended his writings in one of HIS books I read and I am enjoying the reading so much! So far, the only ones my local library has had while looking, were "Love", and "ANGER". I'll soon be visiting Amazon dot com for more!! I just joined this beautiful forum this morning because I had a couple questions on meditation. I am so happy I found all of you!!!
  • edited May 2009
    Joe, if you have a background in Christianity or are interested in Jesus as a historical figure, you may want to check out Thich Nhat Hanh's book Living Buddha, Living Christ. Here is an Amazon.com link: http://www.amazon.com/Living-Buddha-Christ-10th-Anniversary/dp/159448239X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242831119&sr=8-2
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited May 2009
    If you're interested in Zen, his Zen Keys is a must.
  • edited May 2009
    Suzanne, great to have you here! I hope I might have been of some help for you.

Sambohdi, I saw that book at my local used bookstore too, sitting next to "Breathe!" It looked pretty interesting. I wasn't aware that it touched on the historical figures of them both. I'm guessing it draws on the similar parallels of their lives, and their teachings? Perhaps?

-Joe
  • edited May 2009
    That's exactly what it is, Joe. Here is a quick review from Amazon.com:
    Buddha and Christ, perhaps the two most pivotal figures in the history of humankind, each left behind a legacy of teachings and practices that have shaped the lives of billions of people over two millennia. If they were to meet on the road today, what would each think of the other's spiritual views and practices? In this classic text for spiritual seekers, Thich Nhat Hanh explores the crossroads of compassion and holiness at which the two traditions meet, and he reawakens our understanding of both.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2009
    If you meet Jesus and Buddha on the road, kill them!

A Zen koan for modern times...

Palzang
  • edited June 2009
    I have read several of his books and I highly recommend The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching and Old Path White Clouds. He is on a US tour this year and you might be able to go to one of his retreats and meet him. I'm going in October to the Catskill Mountains of NY (Pine Bush).