Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Way to go, Iowa.

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited May 2009 in Buddhism Today
According to The New York Times, the Iowa Supreme Court ruled today that a 1998 state law limiting marriage to a man and a woman was unconstitutional. The unanimous decision means that same-sex marriage is now legal in Iowa, making it the first Midwestern state, and the third in the country, to legalize same-sex marriage.

And even if the state of Iowa isn't as progressive as the ruling might imply, I'm heartened by the justices' opinion, which said:
"We have a constitutional duty to ensure equal protection of the law. ... If gay and lesbian people must submit to different treatment without an exceedingly persuasive justification, they are deprived of the benefits of the principle of equal protection upon which the rule of law is founded."

Truer words were never spoken.

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Elohim wrote: »
    The unanimous decision
    That's my favorite part.
  • edited April 2009
    Im glad same sex marriage in Iowa is finally legalized. A certain group of people shouldn't be discriminated against just because there may be some biblical basis to back it up. They still deserve the same rights as everybody else regardless of what "morals" the country was founded on.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Yes, it was surprising that it took place in Iowa, but it does indicate there is a shift taking place in societal attitudes, which is a very positive development, imho.

Palzang
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Ioway, Ioway!

A state whose name contains no true consonants

ought not be marked by contentious dissonance.

People have the right not to be lonely.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Yaaaaaaayyyyy!!!!!!

Finally some good news!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Do I correctly remember that there is a U.S. legal maxim which means that marriage in one state must be recognised by all the others?
    edited April 2009
    Do I correctly remember that there is a U.S. legal maxim which means that marriage in one state must be recognised by all the others?
    There's a national law explicitly stating that states are not obligated to recognize same-sex marriages.

Interestingly, the bill's author has since apologized for writing it.
  • edited April 2009
    Just out of curiosity, would you all be in favor of allowing for polygamous marriage? I have nothing against gays marrying (so long as it is done democratically) but I just can't help but wonder.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2009
    KoB,

Yes, I'm in favor of polygamous marriages. But frankly, I'm tired of people bringing up polygamy whenever gay marriage is discussed. The reason is that, as one person put it, "It's pretty obvious that homosexuals, as a class, are discriminated against by marriage statutes which exclude them, whereas people who wish to marry multiple women ... are undefined and practically undefinable as a class" (source).

As the Iowa Supreme Court noted in their opinion, the statute in question declares that marriage is a civil contract and doesn't define it in any way that would preclude same-sex marriages. Polygamy is an entirely different issue altogether; but, I have no personal objections to the union of two or more adults in marriage. I've known at least one polygamist couple (three adults) and they seemed happy to me.

Jason
    edited April 2009
    KoB,

Yes, I'm in favor of polygamous marriages. But frankly, I'm tired of people bringing up polygamy whenever gay marriage is discussed. The reason is that, as one person put it, "It's pretty obvious that homosexuals, as a class, are discriminated against by marriage statutes which exclude them, whereas people who wish to marry multiple women ... are undefined and practically undefinable as a class" (source).

As the Iowa Supreme Court noted in their opinion, the statute in question declares that marriage is a civil contract and doesn't define it in any way that would preclude same-sex marriages. Polygamy is an entirely different issue altogether; but, I have no personal objections to the union of two or more adults in marriage. I've known at least one polygamist couple (three adults) and they seemed happy to me.

Jason

I can't see any logical objection to polygamy or polyandry. Indeed, if you consider an incedibly popular series such as Friends (which I have been watching for the first time), there seems to be an acceptance of multiple partners - indeed an encouragement of it (alongside a puritanical attitude to nudity and a strange ambivalence about homoeroticism). This is then supposed to stop at marriage, as far as I can see. This is 'serial monogamy' but so damned close to polygamy that you can hardly get a cigarette paper between them.

Marriage, as defined by church or state, seems to me to be far more of a social control matter.
  • edited April 2009
    Very well.

But you do recognize that this is a redefining of traditional marriage right? I think that's where the big hang up is for a lot of traditionalists that I know.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Traditional marriage?
    Define traditional marriage!

It was in the 1500's that the church decided that because procreation was essentially an act of original sin, they should have a hand in it. At that time they even advocated that the groom practise abstinence and only have intercourse for procreational reasons. Hence the abundance of mistresses... they were for the fun part....! :rolleyes:

But women, even today, are 'handed over (albeit symbolically) as a gesture, reminiscent of times when they were viewed as profitable chattels with breeding potential and a dowry attached.
    The word 'obey' has only been eradicated from the ceremony within the last 25 years or so....And it's still part of the marriage ceremony. It's omitted by choice.

Traditional marriage be damned! I'm all for liberalism....!
    edited April 2009
    Did we seriously just crap the gay marriage thread with polygamy? :rolleyes: It's always got to be some slippery slope into societal chaos, right?

ANYWHO, it seems Vermont wasn't far behind.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Way to go, USA!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    And now Vermont, too! I love Vermont. I used to camp there with my friends.
    edited April 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    And now Vermont, too! I love Vermont. I used to camp there with my friends.

And it'd going to be legal now!

At least we aren't going to see serious attempts at constitutional amendments defining 'marriage' under this administration (D.v.)
    edited April 2009
    Washington DC's city council just voted to recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere: http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/07/dc.marriage/

A banner week in the US.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    But wait, if it's made legal everywhere, what will there be left to protest?!

Palzang
    edited April 2009
    KoB,
    Very well.

But you do recognize that this is a redefining of traditional marriage right? I think that's where the big hang up is for a lot of traditionalists that I know.

You make a good point, but then, I've never been much of a traditionalist. All things evolve, even traditional social values. In the United States, for example, it was traditional for whites to marry whites and blacks to marry blacks, and interracial marriage was not socially acceptable.

Today, however, most Americans wouldn't dare suggest that we go back to the pre-1960s idea of traditional (i.e., segregated) marriage. I view same-sex marriage in the same way: it's not considered socially acceptable now, but as Bob Dylan would say, "The times they are a changin'."

Jason
  • edited April 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    But wait, if it's made legal everywhere, what will there be left to protest?!

Palzang

I believe there is still the "issue" of gay adoption in some places.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Oh, yeah. Guess there are still one or two issues left... :rolleyes:

Palzang
    edited May 2009
    1 month later: Maine followed suit yesterday; New Hampshire's legislature passed a bill that now waits on the governor's signature. New York and New Jersey are quite possible by the end of the year.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2009
    In what are perhaps parallel developments a reaction is setting in against gay teenagers here in Charlotte. The AM radios are banding together to defeat anti-bullying legislation in the county. They claim such legislation will erode traditional values and further the gay agenda.

Too bad Abrahamic religions have this effect on people: They just HAVE to be right. Being right means those who are different are wrong and NEED to be punished.

Isn't that sweet?
    edited May 2009
    Nirvana wrote: »
    In what are perhaps parallel developments a reaction is setting in against gay teenagers here in Charlotte. The AM radios are banding together to defeat anti-bullying legislation in the county. They claim such legislation will erode traditional values and further the gay agenda.

Too bad Abrahamic religions have this effect on people: They just HAVE to be right. Being right means those who are different are wrong and NEED to be punished.

Isn't that sweet?

The truth is that it isn't religions that produce this sort of bigotry - it is stupid, ignorant and hate-filled people.
    edited May 2009
    The truth is that it isn't religions that produce this sort of bigotry - it is stupid, ignorant and hate-filled people.

Sure, but it doesn't help that this sort of bigotry is found in many religious texts (e.g., Leviticus 18:22 & 20:13). Religion isn't just some innocent bystander in all of this.
    edited May 2009
    Sure, but it doesn't help that this sort of bigotry is found in many religious texts (e.g., Leviticus 18:22 & 20:13). Religion isn't just some innocent bystander in all of this.

Religion is a human creation not some sort of independently existing reality. And humans choose the bits they want, as demonstrated by those Christians who quote Leviticus but eat bacon! What is more, most religions in today's world are based on translations and adaptations of original texts. Take the Levitical ones: the English gives us the word "abomination" (after the Wycliffe version) whereas the Hebrew suggests simple 'uncleanness' - a very different matter.

Let us not forget that it took some pretty strong lobbying before HHDL took a more accepting attitude towards homosexuality than the traditional one in which he was brought up. Acceptance of different sexual orientation is pretty new in both the UK and the US.