Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Random act of karma

edited April 2009 in General Banter
I killed a bird today. It was flying low, carrying prey on the highway and my options were to hit it or get in an accident. As I was going about 70 mph at the time I was forced to hit it. I'm about 95% sure it is dead.

My question is this: what do I do to make up for it?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Nothing. You hit a bird on accident. Accidents happen. Case close.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    About all you can do is pray that you and the bird have made a connection and that someday you will be able to lead that being to enlightenment.'

Palzang
  • edited April 2009
    I agree with Elohim. Accidents happen.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Yes, remember, karma is volitional action, not accidental things or things over which you have no control. So you can stop worrying about it.

I ran over a skunk a few years ago. It's 'squeak' still haunts me. I killed it, but it was pure accident. I wasn't speeding, I wasn't drunk. I just had no control over the situation. I agonized for about an hour until I gave myself a shake and asked myself "How long, exactly, are you going to force yourself to suffer over this?" In the end, I had to let it go. Which was a good thing because I was the only one holding on to it.

Welcome to the board, by the way!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2009
    BUT,

don't I recall a story of the Buddha Shakyamuni identifying a positive karmic action in a past rebirth to explain some prewsent good karma? Wasn't it by an animal or bird? Can it have had volition?
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Simon,
    Our experiences with animals can be so dear. When I lived in South Florida there were quite a few small lizards in the house. I had just eased my creaking bones into the bath tub. A small lizard misjudged his distance and ploped into the bath. With bath brush in hand it was easy to pluck him/her out.The lizard remained in the bathroom for about six months behind the shampoo bottle. Every time I came to bathe it would come out and simply look at me. Could I be saviour or perhaps the Bodhisatta of drowning lizards?
    Grackle
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Oh, Grackle!! I just love that story! It's going to be in my head forever. That sweet wee lizard coming out to look at you.

Simon,

I do think some animals have volition sometimes. I'm sure dogs, for example, choose to do certain things that are not purely selfish or simply for their own survival. When HH the Dalai Lama was asked if a dog could attain liberation he laughed and shrugged his shoulders and said "Well, if he was a very good doggie... ". :D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    This is a lovely story.

A female humpback whale had become entangled in a spider web of crab traps and lines.
    She was weighted down by hundreds of pounds of traps that caused her to struggle to stay afloat. She also had hundreds of yards of line rope wrapped around her body, her tail, her torso, a line tugging in her mouth.

A fisherman spotted her just east of the Faralon Islands (outside the Golden Gate ) and radioed for help.

Within a few hours, the rescue team arrived and determined that she was so bad off, the only way to save her was to dive in and untangle her---a very dangerous proposition. One slap of the tail could kill a rescuer.

They worked for hours with curved knives and eventually freed her.

When she was free, the divers say she swam in what seemed like joyous circles.

She then came back to each and every diver, one at a time, nudged them, and pushed gently, thanking them.

Some said it was the most incredibly beautiful experience of their lives.

The guy who cut the rope out of her mouth says her eye was following him the whole time, and he will never be the same.

I have a picture, but I forget how to upload it. I never understand the 'manage attachments' crud..... silly, I know. As a Mod, I should, but I need walking through it.....
    edited April 2009
    Boo,

I think you know that I extend volition far beyond the human sphere. It would trouble many of my friends how far I see it reach, but tyhey have trouble with my notion of long, very slo-o-o-ow conversations with hills and trees. And they think my conversations with my cats just silly, whilst I know that it is often in the course of such post-meditation exchanges (they come and tell me when an hour is up) that clarity dawn.

But, then, I know I'm barmy!

Chesterton said something useful for agnostics along the lines that, if you wweren't sure if there were fairies, isn't it better to live as if there might be rather than if there weren't.
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Brigid,
    I should to tell you about a common raven that seems to interacting with my walking companion and myself. We know this raven well for it takes flight in a wobbly fashion. Once a week for the past month the raven shows up at my house. I hear the bird outside. When I show myself he travels 2 miles north to my friends mobile home. When he sees friend is up, he travels to the park where we walk. He will be waiting for us. Once we arrive he flies away.
    grackle
    edited April 2009
    grackle wrote: »
    Brigid,
    I should to tell you about a common raven that seems to interacting with my walking companion and myself. We know this raven well for it takes flight in a wobbly fashion. Once a week for the past month the raven shows up at my house. I hear the bird outside. When I show myself he travels 2 miles north to my friends mobile home. When he sees friend is up, he travels to the park where we walk. He will be waiting for us. Once we arrive he flies away.
    grackle

Do you remember Charles Dickens's raven, Grip, whom he included in Barnaby Rudge? I treat ravens, rooks and crows with respect - these are mysterious and mysteriously intelligent birds. There are few more 'noumenous' moments than a sunset with corvids.
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited April 2009
    The corvids here as with most other birdlife disappear before sunset. I seem to recall that Odin has a raven on either shoulder. One is Huginn. The other Muninn. They certainly fascinate one. The common raven is the largest one here but the smallest in terms of population.
    grackle
    edited April 2009
    The corvids here as with most other birdlife disappear before sunset. I seem to recall that Odin has a raven on either shoulder. One is Huginn. The other Muninn. They certainly fascinate one. The common raven is the largest one here but the smallest in terms of population.
    grackle

All-Father Odin is a wonderfully complex archetype: gives up an eye in exchange for wisdom and is attended by his ravens "Thought" (Huginn) and "Memory" (Muninn). I've found a thought-provoking verse from the Edda:

Old Norse:
    Huginn ok Muninn fliúga hverian dagiörmungrund yfir;óomk ek of Huginn, at hann aptr ne komit,þó siámk meirr um Muninn. English:
    The whole world wide, every day,fly Huginn and Muninn;I worry lest Huginn should fall in flight,yet more I fear for Muninn.I had forgotten this snippet in my commonplace book. It has particular resonance for those of us noticing increasing cognitive deficits.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    federica wrote: »
    This is a lovely story.

A female humpback whale had become entangled in a spider web of crab traps and lines.
    She was weighted down by hundreds of pounds of traps that caused her to struggle to stay afloat. She also had hundreds of yards of line rope wrapped around her body, her tail, her torso, a line tugging in her mouth.

A fisherman spotted her just east of the Faralon Islands (outside the Golden Gate ) and radioed for help.

Within a few hours, the rescue team arrived and determined that she was so bad off, the only way to save her was to dive in and untangle her---a very dangerous proposition. One slap of the tail could kill a rescuer.

They worked for hours with curved knives and eventually freed her.

When she was free, the divers say she swam in what seemed like joyous circles.

She then came back to each and every diver, one at a time, nudged them, and pushed gently, thanking them.

Some said it was the most incredibly beautiful experience of their lives.

The guy who cut the rope out of her mouth says her eye was following him the whole time, and he will never be the same.

I have a picture, but I forget how to upload it. I never understand the 'manage attachments' crud..... silly, I know. As a Mod, I should, but I need walking through it.....
    That's a wonderful one, Fede!!! I adore all wales but Humpbacks have a special place in my heart. I hope you post that pic. I'd love to see it!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Boo,

I think you know that I extend volition far beyond the human sphere. It would trouble many of my friends how far I see it reach, but tyhey have trouble with my notion of long, very slo-o-o-ow conversations with hills and trees. And they think my conversations with my cats just silly, whilst I know that it is often in the course of such post-meditation exchanges (they come and tell me when an hour is up) that clarity dawn.

But, then, I know I'm barmy!

Chesterton said something useful for agnostics along the lines that, if you wweren't sure if there were fairies, isn't it better to live as if there might be rather than if there weren't.
    Some of my most tender and intimate interactions with other beings are with my big orange tabby, Tom. My dad calls him "Sentimental Tom" because he remembers a book in his father's library when he was growing up called 'Sentimental Tommy'. Our Tom communicates brilliantly. I have such deep, meaningful conversations with him, as I do with the others. One of the things I'll miss most if I outlive my parents is the sound of my father's voice when he talks to the cats.

And speaking of long, slow conversations with hills and trees, when I used to get brutally homesick for Wales I would imagine going back and throwing myself face down on the side of a hill so I could smell, touch, hear, and feel Wales again. I loved the people I met while I was there but it wasn't them that I missed most. It was the whispers of the land and the caresses of its weather. Britain really spoke my language (or I understood its language).
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Brigid,
    grackle
    How wonderful! You're so lucky. The ravens around here don't bother with us much. They're so above us....:p

My father is the bird person of the family and he taught us to have a deep respect for all the corvids. They're just as Simon described, arent' they? "...mysterious and mysteriously intelligent birds."

My father planted trees, and lots of them, specifically to entice birds to our farm. And it worked. We have some amazing stories about birds. Their behaviour can be SO weird and so wonderful. And sometimes really unpredictable, if we're lucky.

I'm going to miss the birds here terribly when we move. All these long winter months I've waited to hear their sweet voices again and now that they're back I can't get enough of them. So many different kinds. I used to hate the sound of birds in the morning. It meant just another sleepless night. But now...how I adore them and their singing. There will be birds in town but not as many as out here.
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Brigid,
    I appreciate your post. Yes the ravens do seem mysterious. At least I like to think them so. Birds here seem remarkably unwary of the dangers posed by humans.
    I have been blessed to have a facility with birds and nature in general. Perhaps that is a special way of being lucky.
    Heres hoping that moving to town will not be too onerous.
    grackle
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Brigid,
    I appreciate your post. Yes the ravens do seem mysterious. At least I like to think them so. Birds here seem remarkably unwary of the dangers posed by humans.
    I have been blessed to have a facility with birds and nature in general. Perhaps that is a special way of being lucky.
    Heres hoping that moving to town will not be too onerous.
    grackle
    Thanks, grackle! I appreciate it!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    I remember reading a book in junior high school about crows and ravens. It explained all the various ways they communicate with each other and how they are able to solve complex problems either individually or as a group. It was fascinating. Ever since I have really appreciated the Corvidae. In Tibetan Buddhism, you know, they are considered to be emanations of Mahakala.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Other fora come down on you like a ton of bricks for going 'off-topic'*.... I love it.
    How else would we pick up such wonderfully fascinating snippets....?

(*there are limits, of course.....! :D)
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited April 2009
    I agree with you Fede, a slight wander off topic is refreshing. In that spirit here are some partial lyrics (minus chorus) of a song called "Jack's Crows" by John Gorka (Genre:Folk)

Jack's crows are loud in the morning
    They're critical of other birds
    Farmers don't appreciate 'em
    Though they don't say it in so many words

Jack's crows have a bad reputation
    Some of them are known as thieves
    They're involved in strange celebrations
    And magic on All Hallow's Eve

Jack's crows are all very ancient
    No relation to the crows of Jim
    Jim was driven to the shadows
    But now you're seeing more of him

Jack's crows are in for a murder
    A murder is a gathering
    Some watch some go a little further
    Some eat what the others bring

That doesn't relate to anything, just a further recognition of how wonderful the big black birds are.