Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New site - new direction?

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited May 2005 in NewBuddhist.com
I think what I plan on doing is renaming this site, converting it to vBulletin, and taking on a helper or two so that we can grow this thing into the site I think it should be.

I am a member of the MBMC sangha, and I love it, but this site really doesn't have anything at all to do with it. They have their own site (www.buddhavihara.org) and since the majority of the sangha is thai-speaking, the site is mostly in thai.

My original goal was to have a site where people unfamiliar with buddhism could come and ask questions, learn about real buddhism, and learn about the misconceptions and fallacies that the west has about buddhism.

I registered a new domain name today, newbuddhist.com

Please tell me what you guys think. Obviously, we are very small, there are only 3-4 of us that are active, and we are all friends. Hopefully you guys will be a part of the future of this site with me, so I value your opinions...

Comments

• edited September 2004
    not a bad idea. the site domain is alot easier! lol But i dunno IPB is nice and easy to work with
  • edited September 2004
    You name the place prime and i'll be there

I suppose a name change might help, especially if it includes the word "buddhist"
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2004
    I haven't really experienced a "nice and easy" IPB. I've always had some issues with it (for example, even though everything seems to be configured correctly, I cannot get avatars working at all). I'm used to vBulletin from short-media, and I think vB helped site traffic a lot, due to optimizations in the way URLs are presented, and things like that. I personally prefer vB, and it's only $85 so I don't mind shelling out for a copy to have a smoother looking site.
  • edited September 2004
    i say go for it! I use vB at IC and its not to complicated for what i do. Need any help send a pm if so
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited September 2004
    Wherever... I think vB will let you convert this database rather simply too.

I'm admining my college's vB forum so I can certainly give some assistance if you want... though I'm nothing compared to the short vB demigod, of course... ;)

It's kinda nice that we have a 'pulse' right now :) Anything to further that sounds good to me.
  • edited September 2004
    yea i am just starting to learn the admin stuff in vB I was a mod at ic now I am upgraded! w00t!
    edited September 2004
    Well heck, when I move, I move fast. Site's moved :)
  • edited September 2004
    w00t!!!
  • edited April 2005
    Hi Brian:
    I love your idea.......actually that is what I thought I was going to get when I came to this site a few days ago. I did have trouble getting around this site and when I got somewhere I didn't really know where I was. I would have to say I didn't find it very user friendly.
    I didn't find enough information or articles and still spent quite a bit of time here.
    I love talking with everyone but I don't feel as though I am learning what I was serching for. I hope you/everyone understands. Each day my journey gets shorter. Each day I have 24 hours less to obtain my goals. Here's one of my favourite saying:
    I WOULD RATHER BE ASHES THEN DUST! I WOULD RATHER THAT MY SPARK SHOULD BURN OUT IN A BRILLIANT BLAZE THAN IT SHOULD BE STIFLED BY DRY ROT. i WOULD RATHER BE A SUPERB METEOR, EVERY ATOM OF ME IN MAGNIFICENT GLOW. THAN A SLEEPY AND PERMANENT PLANET. THE PROPER FUNCTION OF MAN IS TO LIVE, NOT TO EXIST. I SHALL NOT WASTE MY DAYS IN TRYING TO PROLONG THEM. I SHALL USE MY TIME.
    J. London
    Brian: Lets get you dream going. Answer your Soul's Desire and Have Faith it will all work out.

Irene
    edited April 2005
    Thanks, Irene. We successfully made the transition in September of 2004 - we renamed the site and installed this software, and traffic has surged since. :)

If you would like to start a new discussion (discussions are called "threads"), you can click the "new thread" button in each forum area. :)
  • edited May 2005
    what was the old site name???? I dont even remember
    edited May 2005
    The old site was midwestmeditation.com
  • edited May 2005
    ohhh yeah now I remember