Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So is death a big deal to Buddhists or not?

Hi, I'm not a Buddhist, but I am interested and I have enjoyed lurking at forums like this one. One major question I have about Buddhism that I don't understand is about death. I saw a poster here talk about a near death experience, and the responses made me think that Buddhists didn't consider death to be a very big thing, just a transitory phase. They advised that he should try to keep a positive mind set so he can reincarnate well etc., but it wasn't the end of the world.

One the other hand, there is this very strong sense that Buddhists not only do not want to hurt sentient beings, but also don't want to kill them. Why is that? I mean if I kill a chicken for my dinner, I am not just introducing it to a transitory phase that I myself will go through as well? How can Buddhists seem not that concerned with their own deaths, but very concerned about the life of a chicken? Have I gotten something wrong?

Thanks,
Luke

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Luke,

While I don't looking froward to dying, I'm not too concerned with death because it's inescapable. Not matter what I do, I'm going to die eventually. It's simply a fact of nature. But according to Buddhism, death is not necessarily the final end of phenomena, and our actions are said to play a significant role in our postmortem experiences.

In Buddhism, intentions are very important. All intentional actions of body, speech and mind are said to act as causes, which in turn produce effects. The quality of the intention behind any given action (e.g., skillful, unskillful, etc.) conditions the quality of the results of that action and how they're experienced (e.g., pleasant, unpleasant, etc.).

When it comes to killing, for example, Buddhism posits that the intention to kill is inherently unskillful, and leads to unpleasant results in both this life and the next. In the case of killing a chicken, the act of killing negatively conditions our consciousness, as well as the results of that particular action. So not only would killing a chicken harm the chicken by depriving it of life, but it'd negatively impact ourselves in some way too.

The mechanism behind this is called kamma or karma, which literally means "action." For more information about kamma, I'd suggest reading Kamma: A Study Guide.

Jason
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    No, it's not wrong. The reason we try not to kill beings, even though death is not an end, for one thing is to develop compassion for other beings and to see them as being equal to ourselves in worth because we all share the same Buddhanature. Another reason is that if we bring a being's life to an end for whatever reason, it may not have exhausted the karma it was undergoing in this life and so will have to repeat again in a future life. For example, we have been taught by my teacher that instead of putting down a pet which is nearing the end of its life and suffering from whatever infirmity it may have, such as blindness, cancer, incontinence, we instead are encouraged to make the pet as comfortable as possible so it can exhaust that karma before leaving this life. Many people might see that as cruel, but we don't.

Of course, it is impossible to live as a complex, multicellular organism like humans without causing the death of many living beings. Whether you are a meat eater or a vegetarian, your diet will be responsible for the deaths of many, many sentient beings. For example, do you know how many sentient beings are killed by harvesting, say, a rice paddy? Countless. It's just the nature of our existence here. So instead of pretending that we can somehow avoid killing altogether, we pray that we will have a connection with each being we may eat or otherwise inadvertently kill and that wel will someday be the cause for that being to attain liberation.

And you're right, for a Buddhist death is not such a big deal, especially if we have prepared for it in our practice. Death is a rare and precious opportunity to attain enlightenment instanteously if we're only prepared. So it can the best of times, literally!

Hope that helps.

Palzang
  • edited April 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    Another reason is that if we bring a being's life to an end for whatever reason, it may not have exhausted the karma it was undergoing in this life and so will have to repeat again in a future life. For example, we have been taught by my teacher that instead of putting down a pet which is nearing the end of its life and suffering from whatever infirmity it may have, such as blindness, cancer, incontinence, we instead are encouraged to make the pet as comfortable as possible so it can exhaust that karma before leaving this life. Many people might see that as cruel, but we don't.

Thank you both for your replies. That gives me some perspective. So Karma is the results of past actions. Buddhists would like to escape Karma. If they die, its part of their karma anyway, and they have a chance to escape Karma by it, so its not in itself a bad thing. However if they kill, then it implies they too will be killed, which implies that they will be born again, which is what they actually want to avoid. Do I have it right?
    edited April 2009
    Thank you both for your replies. That gives me some perspective. So Karma is the results of past actions. Buddhists would like to escape Karma. If they die, its part of their karma anyway, and they have a chance to escape Karma by it, so its not in itself a bad thing. However if they kill, then it implies they too will be killed, which implies that they will be born again, which is what they actually want to avoid. Do I have it right?

Not exactly. It's a bit more complicated than that. Karma is present action, and what we experience in terms of karma in the way of pleasant, unpleasant or neither pleasant nor unpleasant feelings is the result of both past and present karma ripening in the present. Not all experiences are the result of karma, however.

In addition, karma is what makes the process of rebirth possible. In Bhikkhu Bodhi's words, "When ignorance and craving underlie our stream of consciousness, our volitional actions of body, speech, and mind become forces with the capacity to produce results, and of the results they produce the most significant is the renewal of the stream of consciousness following death" (Anicca Vata Sankhara).

As for the workings of karma, they are complex and it's not as simple as, say, you kill someone so you're killed by someone in the future. But the underlying idea is that unskillful intentions produce results that are experienced as unpleasant or painful while skillful intentions produce results that are experienced as pleasant. The goal of Buddhism, however, is be free of karma by removing their cause—the mental defilements of greed, hatred and delusion.

For some Buddhists, this means spiritual liberation, freedom from suffering and the end of rebirth. For others, it means being free from affliction yet still manifesting in the world for the benefit of all sentient beings. But that's a whole other discussion.
  • edited April 2009
    Elohim wrote: »
    In addition, karma is what makes the process of rebirth possible. In Bhikkhu Bodhi's words, "When ignorance and craving underlie our stream of consciousness, our volitional actions of body, speech, and mind become forces with the capacity to produce results, and of the results they produce the most significant is the renewal of the stream of consciousness following death" (Anicca Vata Sankhara).

As for the workings of karma, they are complex and it's not as simple as, say, you kill someone so you're killed by someone in the future. But the underlying idea is that unskillful intentions produce results that are experienced as unpleasant or painful while skillful intentions produce results that are experienced as pleasant....

The first paragraph here makes a great deal of sense to me. While our minds affirm separation or a lack of unity, that's what we get in terms of manifestation. And I see how that could be related to Karma, but I really only have a hazy idea of "the big picture" of what Karma is. I am still working my way through that study guide you gave me though, lets see where that gets me. :)
  • edited April 2009
    This is interesting, from the study guide linked above:
    "There is the case where a trifling evil deed done by a certain individual takes him to hell. There is the case where the very same sort of trifling deed done by another individual is experienced in the here & now, and for the most part barely appears for a moment.
    "Now, a trifling evil deed done by what sort of individual takes him to hell? There is the case where a certain individual is undeveloped in [contemplating] the body, undeveloped in virtue, undeveloped in mind, undeveloped in discernment: restricted, small-hearted, dwelling with suffering. A trifling evil deed done by this sort of individual takes him to hell.
    "Now, a trifling evil deed done by what sort of individual is experienced in the here & now, and for the most part barely appears for a moment? There is the case where a certain individual is developed in [contemplating] the body, developed in virtue, developed in mind, developed in discernment: unrestricted, large-hearted, dwelling with the unlimited. A trifling evil deed done by this sort of individual is experienced in the here & now, and for the most part barely appears for a moment.
    "Suppose that a man were to drop a salt crystal into a small amount of water in a cup. What do you think? Would the water in the cup become salty because of the salt crystal, and unfit to drink?"
    "Yes, lord..."
    "Now suppose that a man were to drop a salt crystal into the River Ganges. What do you think? Would the water in the River Ganges become salty because of the salt crystal, and unfit to drink?"
    "No, lord..."
    "In the same way, there is the case where a trifling evil deed done by one individual [the first] takes him to hell; and there is the case where the very same sort of trifling deed done by the other individual is experienced in the here & now, and for the most part barely appears for a moment."

So this almost gives me the idea that Karma is to expand consciousness, or increase awareness. The individual who is already very awakened experiences very little ramification for a small evil dee.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Now were taking the discussion on to considering the different realms a being can be re-born into.
    Notice, I do not say reincarnation.
    It's a fine line, and some say we're getting into semantics, but essentially speaking, reincarnation and re-birth are two different matters.....

There are Six different realms of Re-birth. Again, I know it's yet another link for you to look at, but this explains it pretty well.....

Many see these realms as actual places of existence. Others see them as varying Mind-states or conditions we go through.
    I personally feel the latter is more accurate, given that I find myself dwelling in one or more of them during any given day.... and I could probably think of several people I know, as being in one of them too... but that's bordering on flippancy here......It's not my place to judge or criticise.

The other thing I wanted to say is that the Buddha himself recommended that (amongst some other matters) the complex Law of Kamma is something we should not get too embroiled into trying to completely understand..... there are more things going on in this world that we can comprehend, so trying to make head or tail of something, when we don't know all the facts, will do our poor little heads in and fry our brains.
    The very best we can do, is look to our own thoughts, words and actions, and be considerate, compassionate skillful and guarded of our Will.....How we impact the world and how we deal with others, should be our primary concern.

Welcome, by the way.
    Very nice to meet you!!
  • edited April 2009
    federica wrote: »
    The other thing I wanted to say is that the Buddha himself recommended that (amongst some other matters) the complex Law of Kamma is something we should not get too embroiled into trying to completely understand..... there are more things going on in this world that we can comprehend, so trying to make head or tail of something, when we don't know all the facts, will do our poor little heads in and fry our brains.
    [snip]
    Very nice to meet you!!

Very nice to meet you too, I enjoyed that link.

I have to say though, that of all the things to fry my brain thinking about, this sort of thing is one of the most appealing. Buddhist philosophy seems incredibly intellectually rich, yet many Buddhists I see seem to strive to be be-ers rather than think-ers :crazy: (wait, that didn't sound right) even though Buddhism presents so much to think about. I guess maybe thinking too much is one peril of the path, but its still incredibly interesting stuff to think about.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Hmmmm....I think it depends upon which Buddhists you mix with... given that buddhism is an import, it went through the natural faddy stages of elitism, misinterpretation, new-age-ism, and muddling up and re-presentation in new, easy-to-chew bites. in short, it underwent a mangling.

if you were to go to traditional countries where Buddhism is the norm as opposed to the alternative, I'm certain you would - as would I - gain a different perspective.
    And different schools also view the fundamental essence of their practise differently....

But Buddhists actuaally are very curious, great thinkers and given to animated and varied investigation and discussion.....To conquer the Mind and trasin it through meditation is an aspect of Buddhism, so we do need to feed it too.....!!
    Buddhists are encouraged to see for themselves - Ehi passiko - in other words, to not accept blindly, the affirmative words of another but to test things out and examine them scrupulously before accepting, rejecting, or merely laying aside (with an open mind) for now....
    It's important to remember, also, that simply because 'we' may decide to reject something as an aspect that does not sit well with us, for another person it may be a notion they adhere to strongly. And that's fine. That is their choice, and more strength to them. Acceptance is important, for peace of Mind, sometimes.

here is a link to the Four Unconjecturables. Don't ask....! :lol:

In fact, that whole website is quite educational.... I hope you enjoy browsing.
    keep with the questions!
    edited April 2009
    There are Six different realms of Re-birth. Again, I know it's yet another link for you to look at, but this explains it pretty well.....

Actually, it depends on the tradition. Theravada posits five realms, while most others posit six.
    edited April 2009
    Trident, you could not possibly be much luckier than this!

Here you have the undisputed forum authority on matters Theravadan, (and I say that with all respect and no sarcasm whatsoever) coupled with the forum village idiot and Dhamma-Doofus, both giving you their knowledge and insight!

How great is that - ?

Obviously, I don't need to tell you which is which!:D

Thank you, Jason! :cool:

So which of the six is not posited by Theravadans? Excuse my ignorance......

It has to be the Asuras..... right?
  • edited April 2009
    But Buddhists actuaally are very curious, great thinkers and given to animated and varied investigation and discussion.....To conquer the Mind and trasin it through meditation is an aspect of Buddhism, so we do need to feed it too.....!!

That's what I have found, and that's what's interested me in Buddhism: I found a school of logic from India called Nyaya, and it combines Aristotlean logic from the west with Buddhist philosophy from the east, and its amazing...I mean intellectually amazing. As a guy into math and logic, its really, really fresh stuff, even though its at least many many hundreds years old. The freshness comes from the buddhist perspective, which is really broadly applicable stuff. For instance, in the four unconjecturables you just sent me:

"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas1 is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

We could say that the Buddha-range of the Buddhas is infinite, and thus a singularity, not to be conjectured about. Nyaya makes a similar statement about infinity and the unlimited, asserting its unity and place beyond conjecture. But in western mathematics, Cantor DID conjecture about the "different ranges of infinity", which is the theory of transfinite cardinals (you can google it if interested.) As a result, he experienced "madness and vexation", and was put in an insane asylum.
    http://bestdocumentaries.blogspot.com/2007/09/dangerous-knowledge-full-documentary.html
    Why? For contemplating that which the buddhists say shouldn't be conjectured about.

So I think this is really deep, powerful stuff philosophically, and we have a lot to learn, at a truly intellectual level from Buddhism.
    :)
    edited April 2009
    So which of the six is not posited by Theravadans? Excuse my ignorance......

It has to be the Asuras..... right?

Yes. As Dhammanando Bhikkhu explains: "In the Suttas the post-mortem destinies (gati) are always given as five: hell, the domain of petas, animal birth, the human state, and the world of devas. The Andhakas and Uttarāpathakas added a sixth gati: asuras. In the Theravādin understanding, asuras are not a separate class; rather, 'asura' is just a name applied to certain upper-class petas and lower-class devas" (source).
    edited April 2009
    (...)"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas1 is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

..(...)But in western mathematics, Cantor DID conjecture about the "different ranges of infinity", which is the theory of transfinite cardinals (you can google it if interested.) As a result, he experienced "madness and vexation", and was put in an insane asylum.
    http://bestdocumentaries.blogspot.com/2007/09/dangerous-knowledge-full-documentary.html
    Why? For contemplating that which the buddhists say shouldn't be conjectured about.

So I think this is really deep, powerful stuff philosophically, and we have a lot to learn, at a truly intellectual level from Buddhism.

I find it extraordinary that over 2000 years ago a simple man who probably had no knowledge whatsoever of advanced science and mathematics, was able to advise on something of this magnitude, without long formulas, computers, calculators or any other means of perception other than his own Mind!
    (I appreciate Cantor also had none of these things, but Mankind was considerably further along in its knowlege of many things, by then......)
    edited April 2009
    If you like math, perhaps you'll enjoy Samsara Divided by Zero.
  • edited April 2009
    It is really is amazing. Divinity aside, it sure destroys that attitude people have that ancient people were "primitive". Electric coffee pots does not civilization are great thoughts make. :)
  • edited April 2009
    That's amazing, Elohim, thanks.

I remember as a kid thinking that any number divided by zero must be infinity, since zero "goes into" any number infinite times. Then when I started learning limits in pre-calculus, I saw why its undefined: It can literally represent any number, finite or otherwise. Its a point of total infinite freedom in mathematics. So its beautiful to think of life as having these moments we cross of infinite freedom, where the choice is truly ours. What a powerful image.
    edited April 2009
    Was it LesC who said he always omits the initial 'zero' off his numberplate, when relaying it by 'phone, because strictly speaking Zero is not a number, it's the absence of a number....

It's not 'nothing', it's the absence of 'something'....

The big 'O' in YinYang and Zen is not void - it is the encompassing of the 'All' within the 'Nothing', and the 'Nothing' within the 'All'....

I think it was the Babylonians and the Mayans who first came up with the Zero, mathematically speaking.....bright bunch, they were....
    Then the Hindus wrote it down as a big fat O.....
    edited April 2009
    This is the kind of "off-Topic" I love! It's off topic enough to be off-topic, but is it really off-topic?

Wow.
    Just, wow!!

Read also the link-within-the-link ("This was the question").....
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Whether it is true or not, I love the story that the shape that we use for 'zero' comes from the dent left in the sand when the counting stone is removed. The stone has gone and a small hollow is left - a fitting metaphor for death, too.
  • edited April 2009
    I think it was the Babylonians and the Mayans who first came up with the Zero, mathematically speaking.....bright bunch, they were....
    Then the Hindus wrote it down as a big fat O.....

Yeah, I always heard it was first developed, historically, by the Mayans. Funny name, Mayans. Wouldn't Mayans be people living in a place called Maya?
    http://www.eeedesign.com/stories/Maya.html
    Yet another area where eastern though was ahead, philosophically. They (like the Mayans) weren't afraid to refer to nothing as an entity, while westerners had a big problem having something "like the zero symbol" represent nothing.
    edited April 2009
    To be honest, I don't really know all that much about the history if zero, but from what I've read, India is generally credited as the place where zero first became recognized as numeral, although the Romans found a way to recognize nothing in their Roman Numeral system a few centuries before with the word "nulla" (The Number Zero: The History of Formulating Nothing).

I've also heard that the concept of zero actually has it origins in linguistic over two thousand years ago with Panini, an ancient Indian Sanskrit grammarian, in the form of the invisible affix. Thanissaro Bhikkhu mentions this is his day long lecture on the topic of emptiness, which can be found here under Emptiness (Part 1-7).
  • edited April 2009
    Yeah, there's debate on its origins. Certainly the Mayans didn't create the concept of zero that we have, because there was no cultural communication with the new world till much later. I think they get credit for having a concept of zero before it was widely used in the west though.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it coming out of someplace like India. I mean, mathematically, its useful because you can express it as -5 + 5 or anything else, and you also see those ideas about duality in the east, pairs of opposites manifesting out of nothingness and that sort of thing. So (pure speculation) but it wouldn't be much of a stretch to see it going way back.

P.S. Thanks for the link on Bhikkhu, I will listen to that. I'm loving all the links you guys are sending me!
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited April 2009
    This is the kind of "off-Topic" I love! It's off topic enough to be off-topic, but is it really off-topic?

Wow.
    Just, wow!!

Read also the link-within-the-link ("This was the question").....

Whew! It sure is a lot for my mind to digest, but I agree with you Fede. This thread is going into a very interesting tangent!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2009
    I find it extraordinary that over 2000 years ago a simple man who probably had no knowledge whatsoever of advanced science and mathematics, was able to advise on something of this magnitude, without long formulas, computers, calculators or any other means of perception other than his own Mind!
    (I appreciate Cantor also had none of these things, but Mankind was considerably further along in its knowlege of many things, by then......)

Fede,

You raise an important point about our myth of human 'progress' through knowledge.

There are two distinct narratives that go on: one, the more ancient probably, is that our ancestors knew more than we do and that we should learn from them. Whilst it is not particularly 'sncestor worship' in the anthropological sense, it is present with us in the West in many ways. The waves of interest, rising and falling, in herbalism, alternative therapies, old doctrines and esoterica are witnesses to this idea.

Alongside this is the belief that humankind is now more 'advanced' (whatever that might mean) than our primitive forebears.

Both of these narratives are expressed at all levels of society, and all grades of education and training. The desire for the latest model of something runs alongside resources poured into 'heritage'. Teacher vie to prove that their way, be it the old or the new, is better.

One of the ways in which the listeners to the ancestor narrative make their point is to point to the rediscovery of ancient truths. They marvel at the astronomical knowledge of the Sumerians and Egyptians ("Without telescopes, my dear!") or the mathematical sophistication of the Greeks and Subcontinentals. At the same time, of course, they discard those ancient aspects that go against their own cherished opinions. They have to ridicule belief in the gods and powers that populated pre-industrial discourse. They have to deplore the tyrannical and slave-owning societies. They have to de-contextualise.

The adherents to the narrative of progress simply do the opposite: they major on the superstition and barbarism, ignoring the sophistication.

Both of these narratives miss some crucial points:

* Our historical memory is incredibly short, particularly when it comes to written or monumental records: a few thousand years, probably less than 0.1% of the time since that family group left footprints in the volcanic ash at Laetoli, or, in terms of my own life, three weeks. Humanity suffers from serious long-term memory loss.

* The historical and archaeological record is unreliable and patchy.

* But, above all, the fractioning into two opposing narratives simply re-inforces a much deeper belief: the belief that time exists in the way in which we experience it, i.e. as a sort of flow or arrow, as movement. We do not experience the other dimensions of the space-time continuum as moving us, we experience ourselves moving along them: walk, jump, etc. But we feel imprisoned in a 'flow' of time. Time is seen as an irresistible tsunami. Because of this illusion, and because we also experience pain and stress from this imagined flow, we are like people swept away by a wave: some cling to the wreckage whilst others shout that they see land ahead. All are wrong as well as right.

Are we discovering things about the world that the ancients did not understand? Yes.

Are we re-discovering as new some things that the ancients did understand? Yes.

Does this have any other meaning? Was some ancient 'better' than we are? That's up to each of us to make up our minds.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Hi, I'm not a Buddhist, but I am interested and I have enjoyed lurking at forums like this one. One major question I have about Buddhism that I don't understand is about death. I saw a poster here talk about a near death experience, and the responses made me think that Buddhists didn't consider death to be a very big thing, just a transitory phase. They advised that he should try to keep a positive mind set so he can reincarnate well etc., but it wasn't the end of the world.

One the other hand, there is this very strong sense that Buddhists not only do not want to hurt sentient beings, but also don't want to kill them. Why is that? I mean if I kill a chicken for my dinner, I am not just introducing it to a transitory phase that I myself will go through as well? How can Buddhists seem not that concerned with their own deaths, but very concerned about the life of a chicken? Have I gotten something wrong?

Thanks,
    Luke

I don't know how directly this addresses your posts, but the first thing that came to mind when I read this was the subjects for frequent recollection advised by the Buddha:

http://www.theravada.gr/fivesubjects.html
    Five subjects for frequent recollection
    There are these five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained. Which five?

I am subject to aging,
    I am not exempt from aging.

I am subject to illness,
    I am not exempt from illness.

I am subject to death,
    I am not exempt from death.

There will be change and separation from all that I hold dear and near to me.

I am the owner of my actions (karma),
    Heir to my actions, I am born of my actions, I am related to my actions and I have my actions as refuge. Whatever I do, good or evil, of that I will be the heir.

These are the five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

Each of these five reflections can be a meditation in itself.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Here is what the article says about death:
    Now, based on what line of reasoning should one often reflect that ‘I am subject to death, I am not exempt from death’? There are beings who are intoxicated with a [typical] living person’s intoxication with life. Because of that intoxication with life, they conduct themselves in a bad way in body… in speech… and in mind. But when they often reflect on that fact, that living person’s intoxication with life will either be entirely abandoned or grow weaker…

Of course we all “know” that we’re going to die, but at the same time we don’t really “know” this. In other words we have an intellectual understanding of the fact, but we don’t grasp it on a more experiential level. It’s often only when we have a brush with death or when someone we know dies that it comes home to us that death is not only inevitable but also unpredictable.

When we’re close to death we often have a shift of perspective. Around the time of a funeral we may experience a much stronger sense of appreciation for those we’re close too. Aren’t we lucky we have them? Aren’t we lucky we’re here to be able to appreciate them, that they’re here for us to appreciate? Life is full of appreciation and love. And then we forget and things go back to gray-normal.

Reflecting on our own and others’ impermanence can help to make that sense of appreciation more of a part of daily life. And we can do this both inside and outside of our meditation practice. We can do it in the metta bhavana (development of lovingkindness) practice, where we can experience the preciousness of the connections that we have with others. One careless step while crossing the road, one cosmic ray ripping apart a strand of DNA, and they, or we, may be gone.
    Now, based on what line of reasoning should one often reflect that ‘There will be change and separation from all that I hold dear and near to me’? There are beings who feel desire and passion for the things they find dear and appealing. Because of that passion, they conduct themselves in a bad way in body… in speech… and in mind. But when they often reflect on that fact, that desire and passion for the things they find dear and appealing will either be entirely abandoned or grow weaker…

Everything arises and passes. Things arise and pass. People arise and pass. Relationships arise and pass.

Unless we recognize this, we suffer. Things change, and we find ourselves torn apart inside.

The text here is not advocating that we should not care. It’s talking about a different way of caring — a way that is non-attached. The problem is that we’re often attached to things and to other people. We see our happiness as depending upon them, and so we don’t want them to change. When they do change (a car gets scratched, an iPod breaks down, a child goes off to college, a spouse wants to go away on retreat for a week) we feel threatened and insecure.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2009
    One the other hand, there is this very strong sense that Buddhists not only do not want to hurt sentient beings, but also don't want to kill them. Why is that?
    When a person kills other beings, they lose their humaneness & inner peace. They turn into a monster. They harm themselves. For example, when men go to war they often return with serious psychological problems. Many commit suicide. Or it is often found people who work in abitoirs have serious psychological issues.

Buddhism encourages non-harming so we do not harm ourselves. That is the primary rationale.

Buddha said:
    "Abandon what is unskillful, monks. It is possible to abandon what is unskillful. If it were not possible to abandon what is unskillful, I would not say to you, 'Abandon what is unskillful.' But because it is possible to abandon what is unskillful, I say to you, 'Abandon what is unskillful.' If this abandoning of what is unskillful were conducive to harm and pain, I would not say to you, 'Abandon what is unskillful.' But because this abandoning of what is unskillful is conducive to benefit and happiness, I say to you, 'Abandon what is unskillful.'

Buddha said: "Non-harming is happiness in this world".

edited April 2009
    I mean if I kill a chicken for my dinner, I am not just introducing it to a transitory phase that I myself will go through as well? How can Buddhists seem not that concerned with their own deaths, but very concerned about the life of a chicken? Have I gotten something wrong?
    Luke,

Whilst I do not believe in rebirth myself, following a Buddhist v's Hindu rationale, when you kill a chicken you terrorize it. So the chicken dies a traumatic death. Similarly, because you terrorized the chicken, without compassion & mercy, you will reborn into a woeful state, even in hell. In hell, you will receive the same treatment as you provided to the chicken. You will be terrorised repeatedly, without respite. This the Buddha described in the Devaduta Sutta.

Whereas, for example, if we read the Bhagavad Gita, it places little emphasis upon the state of mind at death. It just states the soul will always re-enter a new body, therefore to kill in war is OK.

2ebr1qe.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Buddhists didn't consider death to be a very big thing, just a transitory phase.
    Luke

Not all Buddhists think like this. For many, death is the end. Thus, contemplating death forms an essential part of their practise. By doing this, they learn to let go of attachment. In Buddhism, there are many teachings on the contemplation of death.

Kind regards

DDhatu

• edited April 2009
    Not all Buddhists think like this. For many, death is the end.

Do I misunderstand you? I always thought of Nirvana as the ceasing of all things, which is hard to attain because things keep happening, even after the end of this life. But if in a very finite period of time we all come to the same state, doesn't it kind of render all that talk moot?
  • edited April 2009

Whereas, for example, if we read the Bhagavad Gita, it places little emphasis upon the state of mind at death. It just states the soul will always re-enter a new body, therefore to kill in war is OK.

Thanks for your response. I always thought the Gita was challenging for that reason, it basically says not to fear death because of reincarnation, and then Krishna advises Arjuna to kill his enemies, because he's not really hurting them; he's just removing their external bodies which are like garmets that are removed and replaced. Yet this is the book the great non-violent Gandhi was supposedly always meditating on. So there is a dichotomy there, and in Buddhism, that I have never completely been able to sort out.
    edited April 2009
    Yes, but the Bhagavad Gita is a Sanskrit Hindu teaching, not Buddhist.
    I think it's important to not muddy the waters and confuse the issue.
    Remember what I mentioned already with regard to matters like re-birth and Kamma:

The Buddha recommends we study, analise, dissect and scrutinise everything that comes to us as a teaching. You are then at liberty to do one of 3 things:
    To accept it as a sound teaching, adopt it into your practice, 100%, and 100% of the time.
    To leave it aside as not sitting well with you - always respecting and bearing in mind that for others, this is their truth - and that's OK.
    To leave it aside as something you cannot decide upon for now, and may examine more fully, "down the road"....but to keep an open mind.....
    If a teaching is Hindu, it will differ from the Philosophy and teachings of Buddhist doctrine.

It's that simple.
    edited April 2009
    I always thought of Nirvana as the ceasing of all things, which is hard to attain because things keep happening, even after the end of this life.
    The scriptures state Nibbana is the ceasing of greed, hatred & delusion. Nibbana is experienced by living enlightened beings here & now as the most sublime state of peace & liberation.

edited April 2009
    * This is veering from discussion and not relevant to current topic.....
    I have not edited the posts, but let's just keep to the subject in hand.

OK? ;)*

(pertinent posts since deleted by poster.)
  • edited April 2009
    Yes, but the Bhagavad Gita is a Sanskrit Hindu teaching, not Buddhist.

I don't think I made it clear that I know the distinction. Instead of saying:
    "So there is a dichotomy there, and in Buddhism"
    I should have said "There is a dichotomy there I also see in Buddhism" to make it more clear. But I'm not talking about any deep aspect of either path, just something very simple: Both Hinduism and Buddhism seem to advocate for the detachment from the senses, yet advocate kind deeds (like giving somebody a flower) that please the senses of others. Shouldn't we also be helping others overcome their worldly attachments as much as we give them things to enjoy?

I'm not trying to make a philosophical point or prove anything, I'm sharing a quandary I experience at a deeply personal level through my question. Pain leads me to unattachment to things and events in life, unattachment makes me powerful, power allows me to create things, I become attached to the things I create, I lose my detachment and thus my power, the things slip away, I experience Pain. An endless loop. Given this loop, is it better to give me a smile than a scowl? Neither is better really, because the smile is pleasant but weakens me with attachment to you. The scowl is unpleasant but strengthens me though detaching me. So what in the end is the difference? Death was just a way to ask about this, because (I thought) that Buddhists saw death as a transitory state, and I know Buddhists seem to be uninterested in killing things at the same time.

Anyway, thanks for your answers, I feel though the real answers will probably come through lots of meditation. You've given me some good leads! :)

Luke
    edited April 2009
    I think you are misunderstanding something vital here:

Being detached does not mean you cannot love and enjoy love.
    It does not mean the prevention of such things.

In fact, the opposite is true. because you know that eventually all things must fall away, you love them unconditionally in a deeper and more understanding, compassionate way.
  • edited April 2009
    Yes! That's exactly the piece I am missing, and the thing that I don't understand: How do you DO that? How can you love without attachment? I seriously want to know. Does it come with practice or is there an idea I am missing?
    edited April 2009
    This takes us neatly back right to point one:
    The Four Noble Truths:

LIfe is suffering/unsatisfactory/up and down/frustrating/occasionally sh*tty.

It is (all those things) because we cling and grasp and attach ourselves to things that are impermanent wishing they weren't.....
    (All compounded phenomena are impermanent and there ain't nuthin' gonna change that, so we might as well get used to it and let it go.
    Acceptance is the key
    .)

There is a way out of all this self-beating up....

That way is to study the Eightfold path.

It's all very well knowing understanding and agreeing with the Four NTs.
    The trick is to really really live by them.
    They're not called the 'Noble' Truths for nothing.
    We can rant, rail, argue and discuss them all we like; no amount of discussion or debate is going to change the fact that they are absolutely spot-on.

This is how you DO it.

You look at your reflection in the mirror, and say: - you are on the path to death.
    You look at the people you love, and you say: - you are on the path to death.
    You look at the people you like, and say: - you are on the path to death.
    You look at the people you know, and say : - you are on the path to death.
    You look at the people you dislike, and say: - you are on the path to death.
    You look at the people you meet, and say: - you are on the path to death.

(This is getting repetitive, isn't it? It's a bit like the suttas.... repeptitive to make it emphatic and easy to memorise and absorb.....)

The sooner you ingrain into your psyche that this is the way things are, you begin to live in Joy and share that joy with others.
    Put it this way - is it not better to rejoice in the Life you have now and make the most of it, in every and any way you can, in every moment?

His Holiness the Dalai Lama (HHDL) said: "The purpose of Life is to be Happy and to make others Happy".

In that order.
    You cannot ever hope to bring genuine hapiness to others if yours is inconstant and unreal.
    So look to yourself first.

Start with this, simply:
    Achieve that state of knowlege, understanding and absorption, complete comprehension and acceptance, with every breath - then, pass your mirth, contentment and joy on.

Ready......?

- GO!!
  • edited April 2009
    Alright! I will take the Eight-fold path on, as an experiment in seeking happiness. We shall see how it goes! :)
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Very good post Fede! Thank you!
    edited April 2009
    Why, thank you jj5!

tridentblack, always, but always come in for any talks, questions, enquiries discussions.... whatever you want.
    We're here to bat off.....

Good luck!

Oh, and - enjoy yourself! this isn't something you have to beat yourself up over - have fun!
  • edited May 2009
    My buddhist group is RIGPA. and alot of his teaching are about Death & life after. Why should we Fear death while its all around us from Plants to birds to Star and plantes to Humans. we are all bound to our faith Death.

But to tell you the truth we will only see the truth of life when we are dead or if we become awake in this lifetime.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited May 2009
    DETACHMENT - "A state of aloofness from or indifference to other people, public opinion, etc."

When Westerners hear about Buddhism detachment, I think we take that word to indicate a state in which we back off from, become uninvolved with, whatever we are detaching from.

I think the Buddhist take on "detachment" is NOT that. If I understand the teachings correctly, rather than back off FROM ... we open up TO. We feel the inrush of our emotions, but like the boulder in the stream, are not moved by them. We observe what is going on inside ourself, but do not grasp onto any of it. We train our minds with attention and awareness.

If this is so, then how do we love? We open our heart to others with compassion, while remaining open to observing our own responses without grasping.

This is what I make of it now ... maybe 10 years from now my understanding will be different.
    edited May 2009
    I hope not. That sounds pretty much spot-on to me....

Excuse me whilst I go away and practise......;)