Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

dream yoga question #2

yuriythebestyuriythebest Veteran
edited April 2009 in Buddhism Basics
right, this is probably random/samsaric but I'll ask anyway just to be sure. I was in a lucid dream and saw a dream character/person, I asked him calmly "you are part of my subconsciousness, tell me about enlightenment", to which he responded "BOOM... boom! boom! boom!", I asked him again and he repeated himself- I saw someone else and asked him but the dream faded before I got a reply. I know 98% it was just a random reply, yet I also remember some zen coans that sound just as weird so wanted to make sure.

Comments

• edited April 2009
    Hi Yuri,

Years ago there used to be a fox puppet called Basil Brush on TV here in the UK
    "boom! boom! boom!"
    ......was one of the favorite expressions he used after he'd said something amusing.

Perhaps the dream character was simply a manifestation of yourself as well as the answer to the question ? :)

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • edited April 2009
    Dazzle wrote: »
    a fox puppet called Basil Brush on TV here in the UK

Hi Dazzle,
    Thanks for reminding me of that. What a thought - Buddha Basil, Boom Boom.

Yuri, I personally love lucid dreams, I've had quite a few but not as many as your almost Matrix-style output. Just watch out for multiple Agent Smiths chasing you around the place.

One thing is sure with all dreams, is that they clearly demonstrate how our consciousness builds a complete samsaric arena for itself. In a dream, your mind has shattered into a dazzling kaleidoscope of landscape, objects, people and yourself (of course). Your mind both creates and sustains all of these things, which is pretty awesome to consider.

Even the recognition, that we are experiencing a dream does not transcend duality, it's just that you don't "buy" it any more. I find that at this point the dream begins to break apart. I once had an out of the body experience when practicing Casteneda's advice on finding my hands (years back), so I figure that is the next stage in the process.

Tantrics use this 'creative' process to build their mandala and maintain awareness during the process of death and the Bardo.

Namaste
  • yuriythebestyuriythebest Veteran
    edited April 2009
    yeah I knew it was probably not something too serious. Never heard of " Basil Brush" but the coincidence sure is funny :)

srivijaya- I've only started lucid dreaming like 4-5 months ago so hopefully that count will grow! yeah- any place I can learn to build them mandalas in dreams?

BTW to get lucid I generally use the MILD technique
    http://www.dreamviews.com/community/showthread.php?t=65458
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Yuriy, I would caution you that dream yoga should only be practiced under the direct supervision of a qualified lama. It is not a practice to play around with as it can be very dangerous to your mental health, and it is definitely not a practice for beginners.

Palzang
    edited April 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    Yuriy, I would caution you that dream yoga should only be practiced under the direct supervision of a qualified lama. It is not a practice to play around with as it can be very dangerous to your mental health, and it is definitely not a practice for beginners.

Palzang

I should clarify- I don't think I practice true dream yoga per say, i.e. chakras and all, I just practice lucid dreaming. That is I gain awareness in a dream and do cool stuff like flying- as you can see from a link to the above forum there are thousands upon thousands of ppl doing the same thing.

I'd very much like to converse with a qualified lama on this- however I doubt there are any in ukraine. If by some amazing luck you have the AIM/ICQ/MSN/YIM/SKYPE of a dream yoga master I'd, and many other ppl I know of, sure would want the privilege of talking to one
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    I know there are quite a few lamas who come to Russia. Don't any of them come to the Ukraine also, like Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche or Khenpo Palden Sherab? I subscribe to the Russian Buddhist email новости буддизма at Subscribe.ru, and there is always a lot of lamas coming through various places, St. Petersburg, Moscow, Kalmykia, Buryatia, etc. Maybe you can induce one to come to Ukraine!

Palzang
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    It's just random nonsense.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Hi, Yuriy.

I used to have lucid dreams. They came on spontaneously and were really clear for a while. I remember one in which I was walking down the stairs in my house and I knew I would be turning a corner when I got to the bottom of the stairs and walked into the living room so before I turned the corner I tried with all my might to conjure up The Rolling Stones, just sitting around in my living room talking and stuff. But I concentrated too hard and just as I was turning the corner there were some see-through members of the band standing around but they quickly disappeared entirely and I woke up kind of irritated. I wanted to play Keith's Telecaster so I could brag to my boyfriend. Didn't even see the Telecaster in the dream. *sigh*

I never really thought much about lucid dreaming except for its entertainment value. But then again, I'm no pro. I couldn't use it to work through complicated emotional issues or anything. I couldn't even materialize The Stones.

I'd never, ever use them for anything spiritual, even if I could. That's definitely a territory in which one would need a teacher, as Palzang says. Playing with fire is not my thing.

I love the flying ones, though. They rock, don't they?
    edited April 2009
    hi Brigid! yeah flying dreams can be pretty amazing! Yeah I think I'll hold off anything spiritual and instead continue what I was doing previously- fun stuff and general dream control so that when a spiritual teacher does come along I'll already have some strong basics. Even without the spiritual stuff LD's are awesome entertainment-wise and also developing your personality - overcoming fears, releasing frustration, and becoming more confident. Just as spectacular is good mood you get for day(s) after a good LD.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Hi, Yuriy. (I like typing your name. It's a great name.)

I think one of the first lucid dreams I had was a really good one, one in which I had a large amount of control, but unfortunately I don't remember it. I wonder if just thinking and talking about it now might be enough to induce a lucid dream tonight. I'll let you know! :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    I've never had a flying dream, interestingly, unlike most of humanity. Well, OK, I did have one, not that long ago really, but that was the one and only. I've wondered about that. Because I have had some lucid dreams, some of them quite interesting and meaningful. But for the most part I don't really remember dreams. There is a lot you can learn from them if you can remember though.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Jeesh!
    I hardly ever remember my dreams, let lone lucidly....!

....is it important....? :confused:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2009
    federica wrote: »
    Jeesh!
    I hardly ever remember my dreams, let lone lucidly....!

....is it important....? :confused:

I think that remembering what goes on when we seem to be awake may be more important.
    edited April 2009
    Brigid- thanks yeah I know my name rulez :) On the lucid dreaming forum I frequent there has been a thread where people discussed if just the general act of visiting that forum and talking about lucid dreams indeed made ppl have more LD's, and the general consensus was yes

federica- yeah remembering dreams is an artform. General practice includes keeping a dream journal, and also lying still once you wake up just remembering dreams- cause when you move your brain tends to earase em somehow.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Nah...:hrm:
    I don't want to work that hard.
    Sleep for me is a time of recuperation and rest. I can't be asked to start keeping a journal... And trust me, all it would say, day after day is....

"Nope....nuthin'.....!"
    "Nope....nuthin'.....!"
    "Nope....nuthin'.....!"
    "Nope....nuthin'.....!"
    "Nope.... STILL nuthin'.....!"

'Sides, as SithePi says, I have enough to occupy me in being mindful, during my waking hours! :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009

I think that remembering what goes on when we seem to be awake may be more important.
    Yeah, that's a very good point, Simon. Good reminder. Thanks.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Man, some people have lucid dreams and ask philosophical questions. Whenever I have a lucid dream, I just spend the entire time figuring out how to consistently fly wherever I want! :D
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Lincoln wrote: »
    Man, some people have lucid dreams and ask philosophical questions. Whenever I have a lucid dream, I just spend the entire time figuring out how to consistently fly wherever I want! :D

Ditto brother!:)