Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How can I learn and Practice Buddhism?

edited May 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hey Guys!
I'm Brad, I'm 15 and raised by devout Southern Baptists in the South! Anyway, I'm very interested in Buddhism (I'd really like to become a monk oneday)...but you see, my parents wouldn't let me openly 'convert' to buddhism so how can I practice buddhism and learn more about it while not converting?
Thanks!

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Hi Brad

Welcome to the Buddha-Dhamma.

You can consider beginning with focusing on harmlessness, developing honesty and a reflective mind.

Honesty is speaking about things that have actually happened and things you have experienced for yourself.

Wise reflection is examining the principle of cause & effect in relation to things.

For example, what is the benefit or attraction in various things? What is the harm or danger? What is the wise way to relate to various things to escape harm and realise well-being & happiness?

This is how the Buddha first instructed his seven year old son Rahula and others.

Kind regards and best wishes,

DD :)
  • edited April 2009
    Thanks Alot! I'll definatily try your tips
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Actually, you might even like to go back a step and start on the Five precepts:

Vow to do no harm to any living sentient being (including yourself)
    Vow to not take anything not freely given
    Vow to refrain form sexual misconduct (which is basically eroding the self respect and dignity of anyone involved. Sexuality itself is not frowned upon or criticised. But there's time for you to consider this one later! :D)
    Vow to not gossip or use false, slanderous idle speech
    Vow to avoid ingesting, imbibing or inhaling intoxicants that could confuse the mind and harm the thinking.

There is nothing inherently or specifically Buddhist about these precepts.
    If you can, read through the 4 Noble truths too, and the Noble Eightfold Path. Again,nothing there to denote a specific practice.....

And always, always come in here, and ask away!
    You'll have tons of questions, but I guess the main thing is to do no harm, be kind and be happy.
  • edited April 2009
    Hi Brad -and welcome to the group!

Its possible that you might find this link useful:

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/bs-s_syll.htm

With kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • edited April 2009
    Bradv93 wrote: »
    Hey Guys!
    I'm Brad, I'm 15 and raised by devout Southern Baptists in the South! Anyway, I'm very interested in Buddhism (I'd really like to become a monk oneday)...but you see, my parents wouldn't let me openly 'convert' to buddhism so how can I practice buddhism and learn more about it while not converting?
    Thanks!

Hi Brad,
    Welcome on board. It's not a bad starting point, as you can take your time, read around and dabble without having to formally "convert".
    A simple breathing meditation, which all traditions have, is a good practical introduction.

Namaste
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Welcome, Brad.

You'll get lots of good advice here. Many have been through the same thing as you.

Enjoy the trip.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Welcome, Brad. :)

"Buddhist" is a label we give ourselves. There's no "formally converting" much as you can decide one day that you are Christian by saying so. Different groups and sects may each have their own process of course (in Buddhism, Christianity, etc) but the day you convert is simply the day that you say it is so (if that day ever comes).

Fede gave some great places to start. The things that Buddhism teaches as basic tenants mesh quite easily with any of the "big three" monotheistic religions. In fact, I myself have been taught by an ordained, practicing Lutheran pastor who also considered himself a Buddhist. Being Buddhist does not necessarily preclude you from being Baptist. "Converting" is what you do from being, say, Catholic to Protestant. You discard one set of beliefs for another. Buddhism isn't about believing really, it's about a journey. :) There's not necessarily a requirement to set aside beliefs.

Meditation is an outstanding practice to begin which focuses on controlling the mind by controlling the breath. As my Kung Fu teacher says, breathing is non-denominational. No Jew, Catholic, Baptist, etc would ever say "We don't believe in breathing!" :p Meditation is definitely something you can do that is independent of any belief structure.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Hi Brad,

Nice to see someone so young thinking about becoming a monk. I've encountered several people your age lately who have the same thought. I'll tell you what I told them, it's a great goal, but taking ordination isn't the first step on the path. You need to first develop a practice, learn what it is you're getting into, and live a little first. Becoming a monk is a lifelong commitment, and you shouldn't really consider it until you're prepared to make such a commitment. If the type of Buddhism you're attracted to is the Tibetan flavor, you also need to first develop a relationship with a qualified teacher. Then, if you're still so inclined, you can think about becoming a monk. And I hope you do some day. We need as many as we can get. But becoming one before you're really ready does you no good nor does it do the Dharma any good. So I'm not trying to discourage you, just give you some advice on how to proceed. I've been a monk for going on 16 years, and it is a very rewarding life, but not an easy one.

Just a point of clarification, there actually is a formal "conversion", if you will, to becoming a Buddhist. That is called taking Refuge Vows, which you do with a qualified teacher or, depending on the tradition of the type of Buddhism you choose to follow, a monk. That's how you actually become a Buddhist. But you can practice and learn all you want before you take that step. I would read as much as you can, attend some functions at a local Buddhist temple if there are any (and you don't raise any hackles in the family), hang out here where you get a lot of different opinions on everything :p, and most important, work on your mind, either through practicing meditation, contemplation, or whatever.

I wish you a long and fruitful life in your pursuits! And you have my condolences on being raised a Southern Baptist. I can relate - I was raised in a very conservative Swedish protestant church.

Palzang
  • edited May 2009
    Thanks so much guys!
    Palzang, I understand what you're saying...I too want to live a little before becoming a Monk! And Sadly, I don't think i'd be able to visit any buddhist functions without my parents getting a little upset! haha!
    That does bring me to another question...AS a buddhist, could I still believe in Christ as a great man and wonderful spiritual teach while still following Buddhism? (You could never do something like that in the Baptist Church, so that's why I'm asking)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2009
    How can you NOT believe that Christ was a great man and a wonderful spiritual teacher?
    judging by all the things he said and did, many would say he was awesome....
    Just like Gandhi, just like the dalai lama...
    Whatever your conclusions about him, you can't ignore him!

You see, (and this is purely my opinion.... I do not claim to speak for anyone else...) As far as I am concerned, if other people wish to follow a particular religion, creed or faith, then no matter how much I disagree with them, i choose to neither argue with them, nor contradict them. it is their right to believe what they wish.
    It is my duty to respect that.
    What they choose to do is up to them.
    edited May 2009
    federica wrote: »
    How can you NOT believe that Christ was a great man and a wonderful spiritual teacher?
    Quite easily. :)

The words "I am the way, the truth and the life, the only way" and performing miracles to generate faith in ignorant people has been the source of so much violence & fundamentalism in the history of the human world.

Buddha forbade the performing of miracles to generate faith.

Also, Jesus' novel notion that faith in a personal saviour can result in some eternal life in a heaven gave rise to another competing teacher of such things, namely Mohamed (PBOH).

Thus, in the world we now have two predominant religions that do not emphasise kammic results but instead preach selfish allegience in some miraculous personal saviour (insurance policy).

These two religions, in the name of religion, have caused hundreds of years of caos and continue to do so.

Most see the 'outer shell' of Jesus (which is merely Buddha's teachings on non-violence) and do not see the inner essence of allegience to 'God' and 'ego'.

One hand preaches 'purity' and the other hand preaches 'selfishness', like any good politician.

To see clearly is to see the forest from the trees.

Jesus was an imperfect & ambitious teacher and his religion is testament to him.

Thus, it is very easy to NOT believe that Christ was a great man and a wonderful spiritual teacher. :)

It is easier than touching your nose whilst washing your face, half asleep in the morning.

Many have searched for the Buddha-Dhamma. It is in line with truth to give credit to where credit is due. There is no need to project the clarity of the Buddha-Dhamma onto the convolutedness of Christianity.

Many Westerners find Buddhism and awaken to spiritual life. Then for some reason they return to the Christianity they abandoned and honor it, as though they gained something great from it.

This tendency is attachment to one's childhood conditioning. We must be very careful here.

With much love,

Dhamma Dhatu

[Note: If one wishes to learn and practice Buddhism, it is best to focus on Buddhism. Then if one becomes a famous teacher, one can be a diplomat amongst religions. Apart from that, please do not get distracted & drunk on Jesus when you discover Buddhism. The wholesome teachings of Jesus, Ghandi, whoever, come from the Enlightened One. Please see clearly according to reality.]
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Well, Brad, I think Jesus was a great bodhisattva, despite what our friend Dhamma Dhatu thinks. So the answer to your question is yes, imho. When I belonged to the Chicago Dharmadhatu many moons ago, one of the students there was also an Episcopal bishop. Nuf sed.

Palzang
  • edited May 2009
    Cool! Now, how should I go about choosing a school/tradition of Buddhism?
  • edited May 2009
    Hi Brad,

I'm sure you'll get lots of useful advice about this - but don't be in a hurry, investigate carefully.
    I suggest that you should first investigate the Theravada tradition .

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
    edited May 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    When I belonged to the Chicago Dharmadhatu many moons ago, one of the students there was also an Episcopal bishop.
    Palzang

Indeed. The Bishop of an ecclectic church is one of the students, learning a more grounded wisdom, reality & clarity. The Bishop has sought to learn what Jesus did not offer.

I once knew are very spiritual Episcopal who became a Buddhist monk for many years.

This occurs to many Westerners. But then they return to the Bible and start interpreting, saying: "Oh, Jesus taught this", "Jesus really said that", etc, etc. They say: "All of those Christians do not understand what Jesus taught but I do".

Jesus taught what he taught. As he said: "No teacher is greater than his disciple".

:)
    edited May 2009
    federica wrote: »
    be very careful, DD. By rejecting and abhorring something in this manner as you obviously do, is to embrace it as much as you loved it.
    Fed

I certainly have never loved Christianity. I rejected it as a child, including at a Catholic school. However, the "God" and "fundamentalism" is all there is to reject. Apart from that, there is nothing to hold, given all that can be perceived as 'good' in Christianity is naturally found in Buddhism.

That aside, to practise Buddhism, one really must let go of 'religion' and 'tradition'. When we talk of practise, it means to embrace skilful dhammas such as love, compassion, harmlessness, wisdom, meditation, etc.

We really need to look inside of our hearts and find the love there, rather than looking outwardly. The realities & skilful means within the body & mind is what a practitioner is seeking to master.

If one is coming to Buddhism, looking for another 'holy being' to save them, it is a waste of time thinking about becoming a monk.

A monk practises the Dhamma to learn to walk on his own two feet.

Buddha said: "All Buddhas honor the Dhamma". Dhamma is the method or path.

:)
    edited May 2009
    Quite easily. :)

The words "I am the way, the truth and the life, the only way" and performing miracles to generate faith in ignorant people has been the source of so much violence & fundamentalism in the history of the human world.
    The source is not the violence.
    Buddha forbade the performing of miracles to generate faith.
    We are not discussing what the Buddha forbade or did not forbid. we're discussing thw qualities of Jesus.....
    Also, Jesus' novel notion that faith in a personal saviour can result in some eternal life in a heaven gave rise to another competing teacher of such things, namely Mohamed (PBOH).
    I'm sure Brad is aware of this.
    Vis-a-vis the discussion, what's your point?
    Thus, in the world we now have two predominant religions that do not emphasise kammic results but instead preach selfish allegience in some miraculous personal saviour (insurance policy).

These two religions, in the name of religion, have caused hundreds of years of caos and continue to do so

off-topic to the question. And as stated, the religions are not the cause of the violence. they may be at the root, but the cause is mankind.
    Most see the 'outer shell' of Jesus (which is merely Buddha's teachings on non-violence) and do not see the inner essence of allegience to 'God' and 'ego'.
    Studying Buddhism, the outer shell is sufficient.
    One hand preaches 'purity' and the other hand preaches 'selfishness', like any good politician.

To see clearly is to see the forest from the trees.
    Again, you are off-topic here. That was not the issue.
    Jesus was an imperfect & ambitious teacher and his religion is testament to him.

Thus, it is very easy to NOT believe that Christ was a great man and a wonderful spiritual teacher. :)
    Nobody mentioned perfection. Nobody mentioned ambition.
    How do you see ambition here?
    It is easier than touching your nose whilst washing your face, half asleep in the morning.
    That depends on what you're looking at and how you're looking at it....
    Many have searched for the Buddha-Dhamma. It is in line with truth to give credit to where credit is due. There is no need to project the clarity of the Buddha-Dhamma onto the convolutedness of Christianity.
    Where is anyone doing this? Why become heavy-handed? the OP is only a young lad taking first steps. What you are recommending is both insular and dogmatic.
    Many Westerners find Buddhism and awaken to spiritual life. Then for some reason they return to the Christianity they abandoned and honor it, as though they gained something great from it.
    I did get something great from mine, no question. Are you telling me I should not have done?
    This tendency is attachment to one's childhood conditioning. We must be very careful here.
    From where I'm sitting, someone seems to have succumbed to conditioning too.....
    [Note: If one wishes to learn and practice Buddhism, it is best to focus on Buddhism. Then if one becomes a famous teacher, one can be a diplomat amongst religions. Apart from that, please do not get distracted & drunk on Jesus when you discover Buddhism. The wholesome teachings of Jesus, Ghandi, whoever, come from the Enlightened One. Please see clearly according to reality.]

DD, you are You really are being a bit presumptuous and judgemental, to recommend not getting drunk on Jesus.... there is nothing anywhere that prevents a person from admiring a being, even if they do not follow that being's teaching religiously. In every sense of the word. DD, be a bit cautious about being so dogmatic please, particularly when addressing one so young and unknowing.
    You sound too fervent.... almost Christian....in your emphasis.
    yes, actually. That's exactly how you sound. fundamentally.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Cool! Now, how should I go about choosing a school/tradition of Buddhism?

That is kind of like choosing what clothes you like or what movies you want to see. It's a matter of personal choice and what appeals to you. Examine them all and see what feels right. There's no rush. Better to be thorough than hasty.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2009
    DD, the thing I have noticed about your posts is the very limited, even ordinary view you hold. You call yourself a Buddhist, but you don't believe in rebirth. You call yourself a Buddhist, but you can't see the Buddha in Jesus and condemn anyone who follows him as a fool. You hold sectarian views and are proud of it. Well, the Buddha never taught limited view. That's another religion altogether. I would kindly suggest you expend some effort in trying to expand your horizons a bit before condemning everyone who doesn't believe like you do.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Brad,

Here are some websites that may help your search, as I doubt if your public library has much helpful information!

Leaves from the Buddha's Grove
    The Big View: Buddhism
    Mahayana Buddhist Sutras in English
    Sacred Texts: Buddhism (not all about Buddhism really, but some interesting stuff)
    One City
    The Chronicles of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche
    Urban Dharma
    The Worst Horse (not exactly instructional like the others, but a lot of fun!)
    Woman and the Dakini

And you can also check out my temple's website: www.tara.org.

Palzang
  • edited May 2009
    Thanks everyone! Very cool! Is there a good website/book for exploring the schools of Buddhism?
  • edited May 2009
    Hello again Brad,

It's good just to keep things simple, to try to keep an open mind, and not to adopt sectarian views when investigating for the first time.

In the link that I gave you in #5, you can find some basics about the different schools

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/schools.htm

also here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/buddhism/subdivisions/

If you click on the different headings in the second link you'll get more information.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Is there a good website/book for exploring the schools of Buddhism?
    You could do worse than to start on Wikipedia, really. :D Just don't get lost - the links go on forever! :lol:
    edited May 2009
    I have been asked, by P.M., why I do not respond to DD's comments about Christianity and Jesus.

The truth is that I have little hope or expectation that DD will understand. I have given up "text proving" and consider most polemical discourse to be unskillful at best. Is it worth a debate with one who will speak with disrespect and yet wish peace on the Prophet of Islam?

Fortunately, there are far better Buddhists here than I who attest to the valuable contribution that the story and words of Jesus have made to them - irrespective of whatever we may feel about the churches.

His Holiness Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet has said:
    If you look at the life of Jesus, you will see all the essential practices and teachings of Christianity exemplified. Another similarity that I see is that in both the lives of Jesus Christ and the Buddha, it is only through hardship, dedication, and commitment and by standing firm on one's principles that one can grow spiritually and attain liberation. That seems to me to be a central and common message.
    The Good Heart

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Hi, Brad, and welcome to the site! It's lovely to meet you.

You've been given some great advice so there's not a lot for me to add except to recommend this website. It's a Theravada website and if it's too difficult at this stage don't use it. Just keep it bookmarked because you'll find it useful later. It's never steered me wrong, even when I was practicing Vajrayana Buddhism.

To get you started on what the different traditions are, look up Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana in any good dictionary or encyclopedia.

Take it slow and steady. Buddhism takes a lot of thought and contemplation so give yourself time to digest what you're learning.

Whenever you're unsure of something or if you want to check on the validity of a certain teacher, come to us. If we don't know the answer chances are we know how to find it.

I'm very happy for you that you found Buddhism. It will be of great help to you in your life if you let it, especially as you go through your teen years. Good luck with your studies and get a simple breathing meditation practice going. Very important whether you want to follow Buddhism or not. Getting to know your mind is the greatest work you will ever do.
    edited May 2009
    ...........AS a buddhist, could I still believe in Christ as a great man and wonderful spiritual teach while still following Buddhism? (You could never do something like that in the Baptist Church, so that's why I'm asking)

May I come back to this question, Brad?

I imagine that your upbringing as a Southern Baptist Christian has included a fair amount of Bible study. This can be a precious spiritual resource even within a Buddhist context. These are texts which have helped to form our society and mindset so, from that p.o.v., you gain insight into your own cultural context - vital for any intelligent adolescent.

But there is more than that. The Psalms, the Song of Solomon, the Gospels (including some of the 'apocryphal' texts) address aspects of our human journey which add to and illuminate some of the Buddhist texts.

Nothing that you have learned so far needs to be thrown away. Some old opinions may need to be shelved (belief in a Creator, for example), put on one side to be examined later, others retired entirely, with a blessing, having served their purpose: as Paul says about putting away "childish things". Just like your old toys, you may go on loving them even if you no longer play with them.
  • edited May 2009
    Thanks so much guys! I'll be sure to look at all those links! I'm going to try and start a breathing practice.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Yes, breathing is definitely a good thing to do! :D

Palzang
  • edited May 2009
    Haha! I guess so!