Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who was Abraham? Who is the greater Bodhisatva?

DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
edited June 2010 in Faith & Religion
Dear Forum

I recall many years ago reading a book called: "Jesus Lived in India".

In this book, if my memory serves me correct, the writer postulated Abraham's former name Abram, as reported in the Bible, meant: "Not Brahmin", how Abram was a prophet who rejected the Brahmin religion.

The religion established by Abram gives some substance to this theory, given historically, the Jewish religion was something both novel and advanced. Here, we had a religion that taught there is one God, that all beings are created equal by that God, that there is no caste or rebirth or some life after death to fear.

The Jewish religion & society was very different from the societies of its time, such as the Greek based in slaves & masters, the Egyptian & Babylonians based in God-king & servants or the Indian, a hierachical religion based in the caste system & rebirth doctrine.

So when God instructed Abram to go west, he disallowed him to honor a son born of a slave woman because Abram's god instructed him: "My people will be free people, born of a free woman".

This salient theme of freedom & slavery is throughout the Bible.

When Jesus came, just like Abraham, he came to provide freedom to the people. Jesus taught and demonstrated through one act of forgiveness and miraculous power that to merely believe in him, a person will never die but have Eternal Life.

Jesus spoke the words: "Follow my yoke, for my burden is easy & my way is light".

Thus my question is: "Who is the greater Bodhisatva?"

Is it Jesus, who provided an easy path for the liberation of beings?

Or is it the Brahmins & Buddhists who oppress beings with fears & worries about countless rebirths?

Or is it the Buddha, who taught 'not-self' and 'emptiness'?

:confused:

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2009
    They all worked to an end in order to try to help others find their way.

I think the best thing would be to concentrate on the Present and not nit-pick about the past with frankly aimless debates and 'my dad is better than your dad' arguments.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited May 2009
    I will make action figures of Jesus, Abraham, and a host of Hindus and Buddhists of various stripes, and let you know who wins in the war games in my sand pit this afternoon.

"The great way is easy for those who have no preferences or prejudices, but make the slightest distinction, and heaven and earth are instantly rent asunder."
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    I will make action figures of Jesus, Abraham, and a host of Hindus and Buddhists of various stripes, and let you know who wins in the war games in my sand pit this afternoon.

"The great way is easy for those who have no preferences or prejudices, but make the slightest distinction, and heaven and earth are instantly rent asunder."

Sengstau, 3rd Zen patriarch.

Is it like football?
    Is there an elimination play-off?
    Extra time?
    penalties?
    I think we should know....

hello fivebells! Nice to see you!!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Re: Jesus Lived in India, see S. Dhammika's interesting blog posts Did Jesus Live iI India? I & Did Jesus Live In India? II
  • edited January 2010

Who has the biggest superman complex? :lol:
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited January 2010

Buddha is not a Bodhisattva silly tee hee hee

090609_0841_SpongeBobSq1.png

Since Jesus was on another page (he was not seeking enlightenment and thus is not a Bodhisattva) you are stuck with uuuuusssss :buck:
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Dear Forum

In this book, if my memory serves me correct, the writer postulated Abraham's former name Abram, as reported in the Bible, meant: "Not Brahmin", how Abram was a prophet who rejected the Brahmin religion.
    You didnt seem like the kind of guy who would go in for this fishy history. Your pretty sober.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2010
    thecap wrote: »
    Who has the biggest superman complex? :lol:
    The Cap is wise.

:)
    edited January 2010
    You didnt seem like the kind of guy who would go in for this fishy history. Your pretty sober.
    Why not?

For its time, I regard the Jewish religion as very advanced. Now most cultures had their gods and social hierachies (caste, slaves, masters, etc,) and the Jewish god was largely a non-personified naturalistic god that regarded all human beings as equal on a social basis.

This was more advanced than the religions of the age and a characteristic of the later Buddha's Sangha. In the Similie of the Ocean (AN 8.19) the Buddha said:
    "Just as the mighty rivers on reaching the great ocean lose their former names & designations and are reckoned just as the great ocean; even so when the members of the four castes go forth from the home into the homeless life with the Tathagata they lose their former names and lineage and are reckoned as following the Son of the Sakyans."

If a religion comes close to Theravada Buddhism it would be Judaism. Apart from its punishment of sin and its (etheral) notion of 'God', Judaism was a serious attempt to establish a moral just society and develop a body of practical spiritual wisdom.

Unlike Christianity, its god was not strongly personified and it did not offer an afterlife. It was essentially pragmatic & temporal (which is probably why American Buddhism is dominated by Jews who found Buddhism attractive).

edited January 2010
    Since Jesus was on another page (he was not seeking enlightenment and thus is not a Bodhisattva)
    Jesus was certainly a Bodhisattva in the Mahayana sense of the word, which is to manifest the qualities to save all sentient beings.

Generally, most Mahayana adherents say they practise to save all sentient beings but ultimately all they can offer sentients beings is the Hinayana Path.

Jesus was the embodiment of the Bodhisattva principle. He sought to save people who could not save themselves.

He offered his love and complete forgiveness and a promise of the deathless via faith & friendship. Just like in the Metta Sutta, the teaching of Jesus is "may all beings be at ease".

Thus of course Jesus did not offer enlightenment just like any Bodhisatva should not offer enlightenment.

A Bodhisatva may possibly be able to transmit (brainwash) some kind of temporary enlightenment but wherever an individual must essentially do the work themselves, that is not Bodhisatva action.

But most Mahayana Buddhists just don't get it. Generally, their teachings are more serious and the least unliberating.

Step on an ant and it is more eons in samsara.

:(
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Guess it is possible. :confused: . There are certainly a lot of "Bujews", and there does seem to be likeness between Talmudic study and study of the Pali Canon.
    edited January 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    Re: Jesus Lived in India, see S. Dhammika's interesting blog posts Did Jesus Live iI India? I & Did Jesus Live In India? II
    The teaching of Jesus is essentially Buddhist non-violent morality and Hindu Brahma Vihara. They are sila, samadhi (metta jhana) but not vipassana.

That his teachings were radically different to the prevailing Jewish teachings makes it obvious he had contact with Buddhism and/or the Buddhist influences on theistic Hinduism.

Whilst many of his teachings touched on certain aspirations (rather than embodiments) of the later Old Testament, the reports of Jesus indicate he was an advanced yogi, with supernormal attainments (siddhis).

This yogic practise is not something Jewish but Indian. Judaism was primarly a social religion.

He could read the thoughts of others, predict the future, heal others physically, had the spiritual power to stage the ressurection and came to Saul on the road to Damascus in a feat of psychic power, just like the Buddha came to Angulimala.

That Dhammika states Saul (Paul) never met Jesus is contrary to the report in the Bible.

Our obstacle to understanding Jesus is we are stuck on notions of enlightenment and Buddha-Nature.

However, the Buddha himself never taught all beings were capable of enlightenment. For those incapable of enlightenment, there are teachers such as Jesus.

They do not teach impermanence & emptiness, just like many Buddhist schools do not teach impermanence & emptiness to those unable to penetrate those truths.

One of the Downfalls of a Bodhisatva is to teach emptiness to those who cannot understand it.

Even though we do not follow it, try to see how the Christian teachings are primarly focused on relieving the dukkha associated with birth, aging, illness, death & all round defilement.

To those struggling with mental defilement & worries about bad karma, Jesus simply said: "Your sins are forgiven, believe in my love & friendship". Much nicer and kinder than saying: "Eons in samsara for you".

47. "Monks, in this Teaching that is so well proclaimed by me and is plain, open, explicit and free of patchwork, those who have simply faith in me, simply love for me, are all destined for heaven."

Alagaddupama Sutta: The Snake Simile
  • edited January 2010
    Ive heard the jesus in india idea before - and this is my jewish / hindu/ buddhist persepctive on it and abraham..

First of all what many people dont understand or realise is that unlike Buddhist or Hindu or christian teachings - the jewish teachings and stories were never meant to be for all mankind.

Judaism has always been and remains so an essentially internal, tribal faith.. the storey of abraham was written down and put into the torah - not for the whole world - but for the benefit and continuance of the jewish people...

and while judaism is tolerant of all other faiths- believing that all faiths lead to god- but its message was and remains aimed at the jewish people and the jewish people ( and anyone else that seeks to join them ) alone...

when god spoke to abraham and isaac and jacob and moses and eliyah and all the others - he wasnt speaking a message for the world- he was speaking with the JEWISH people...

and when later jesus spoke his message - he was first and foremost a jew - speaking to other jews - with the intention for his message to be heard by jews - in the age old fashion and form of god and our / their faith...

it was only his followers who took this message and put onto it a then pagan idea that somehow the faith needed to be spread - who saw safety in numbers.. who misunderstood jesus teachings and words - and who subsequently embraced many thousands of years of bloodshed wrongly imposing them on others...

jesus taught his message in a time of great oppresion - to a people who by then were not new to oppresion and who were tired of it... he saught change- but a change of circumstances for the jewish people - and ending to the injustice that he saw all around at the time.

if you put jesus teachings into the context of a people who were still tribal - in the context of thier history, how they saw god , how they saw their world and how they saw the reason for thier existance... you can see that what jesus was teaching - was not a buddha like peace for all mankind - but an end to the tyranny of roman rule and the oppresion of the jewish people and the corruption of the rabbis of the time .

From my jewish point of view - Abraham was a follower - he did what he was told by god -and although he is important - he was not a teacher - and certainly not a boddhistatva...

jesus - again - in my opinion - was a bit of a rebel - a well meaning hippy who tried to change things... he had some good ideas - and its true that a lot of what he taught is relevant today - but he taught nothing that was not already in jewish or pagan scriptures - and left much unclear .

compared to Buddha - neither of those two figures even comes close to being a boddhistatva in any way ...
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Channah108 wrote: »
    it was only his followers who took this message and put onto it a then pagan idea that somehow the faith needed to be spread - who saw safety in numbers.. who misunderstood jesus teachings and words - and who subsequently embraced many thousands of years of bloodshed wrongly imposing them on others...

I'll preface this by stating I agree with most of your post. However the idea of proselytising being a Pagan idea in the past or present is incorrect.

If that was not your point and I have been totally off the mark in interpreting that, I apologise.

- Raven
    edited May 2010
    That's true, if you're not counting homosexuals(1), people who work on the sabbath(2), follows of other religions(3), and innocent children of sinful fathers(4), all of which Yahweh commands you to kill.

Sorry if I am fueling a lit out fire. Sorry for my English if it is bad, it is my second language, and I am very sorry if I come off as offensive to anyone. Peace everybody!

1. Leviticus 20:13
    2. Exodus 31:12-15
    3. Deuteronomy 13:7-12, Deuteronomy 17:2-5
    4. Isaiah 14:21

And did you get these out of the Torah or the Christian Old Testament? Cause there's a difference.

- Raven
    edited May 2010
    The first three citations are, but the fourth isn't. Isaiah is apart of the Nevi'im.

Edit: This is my source for the citations: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Bible/jpstoc.html

As a Jew myself (albeit not an overly religious one), I have to disagree with your conclusion that Yahweh "ordered/told" the Jews to kill people who were "children of sinful fathers" and those of other religions. And killing those who worked on the Sabbath was not necessarily always punishable by death. However, homosexuality WAS a sin punishable by death.

Not once when I was growing up did I hear about Yahweh ordering the death of "pagans" or innocent children. I will consult my own copy of the Tanakh to double check but I've never heard a Rabbi endorsing that.

And yes, I did think you were fanning the flames, but sadly that tends to happen here from time to time.

EDIT - The only time I can remember "pagans" being ordered to be killed was when they first showed aggression or made war on the Israelites.

Respectfully,
    Raven
    edited May 2010
    who were "children of sinful fathers"

Isaiah 14:21 - Prepare ye slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they rise not up, and possess the earth, and fill the face of the world with cities.

There is still no clear definition here - the Tanakh (as well as the Christian Bible) is not always a LITERAL interpretation. This is one thing you need to remember. This is why such an emphasis is placed on Torah studies for Jews.
    Maybe I shouldn't have said "other relgion" but to worship another god.
    Deuteronomy 17:2-5 - If there be found in the midst of thee, within any of thy gates which HaShem thy G-d giveth thee, man or woman, that doeth that which is evil in the sight of HaShem thy G-d, in transgressing His covenant, and hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, or the sun, or the moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have commanded not; and it be told thee, and thou hear it, then shalt thou inquire diligently, and, behold, if it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, who have done this evil thing, unto thy gates, even the man or the woman; and thou shalt stone them with stones, that they die.

Yes maybe you should have been clearer. To help you understand as well, you need to understand the relationship of the Israelites to Yahweh. The Israelites made a covenent with Yahweh, who was/is originally a war god. He himself admitted He was/is "a jealous G-d" Abraham made a promise on behalf of his (future) people that they would never deviate. And some of them did (the Golden Calf is a prime example). For ever action there is a re-action (or consequence). They were warned *shrugs* Same can be said for other monotheistic religions - Christianity and Islam.
    There are a countless number of verses that based around mass murder, I don't want this post to drag on though.

How convenient.
    However, homosexuality WAS a sin punishable by death.

That right there proves that Yahweh didn't "regarded all human beings as equal on a social basis", my original argument.

When does religion/G-d EVER base itself around "equality on a social basis"?? Religions are usually based on RULES of some sort - even Paganism has it's own rules (IE Universal Laws). No offence, but that's a stupid argument. That's why if you don't like a religion you can leave.
    Is this really ethical, killing people because they worship other gods?

No Jew I know would kill someone for not believing in their form of G-d. No Christian I know would condone it either. You are conveniently forgetting that the Tanakh was written thousands of years ago for a tribal people who's way of life is no longer in existence. So I find that statement utterly ridiculous and irrelevant.
    If worshiping Baal or idol worshiping is aggression, you are right.

*sighs* AGAIN, if you've done ANY research, you would know that a huge part of religion was tied into tribal life. Whenever people were conquered, their gods were made into "devils" or obliterated from tribal records and lifestyle. So, if I may be so bold and be politically incorrect - yes it was a divine fight which people took up on behalf of their gods. So in their eyes, it WAS ethical to kill them and to be honest, I have no problem with this. It was how they lived and I have no right to judge them as I don't live like that and have no clue. And neither do any of us here - including you.

My 0.02,
    Raven
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    When are gods going to learn that they need to start communicating their messages themselves and without goddamned metaphors that, when misunderstood and taken literally, result in hatred and violence and intolerance towards select groups of people?
    When does religion/G-d EVER base itself around "equality on a social basis"?? Religions are usually based on RULES of some sort - even Paganism has it's own rules (IE Universal Laws). No offence, but that's a stupid argument. That's why if you don't like a religion you can leave.

Didn't he only post in the first place to point out that all people aren't seen equally in Judaism, as was claimed earlier in this Thread? :\
    edited May 2010

So we are at an agreement, Dhamma Dhatu's statement was incorrect, which is all I wanted to point out in the first place. I'm still wondering why you evaded some of my statements and my question to you, maybe you realized that I was right about them? You even said it, "the Tanakh was written thousands of years ago for a tribal people", so why should we follow it today? It wasn't written for us. We don't live tribal libes today, so why do people cling to Judaism? You say that Isaiah 14:21 has "no clear definition", I think it does, it tells you to prepare to slaughter children for the iniquities of their fathers, so they wont rise up and fill the earth. Have a good day, peace.

What I don't get is why it matters to those who DON'T believe in any sky god why others do believe?

it tells you to prepare to slaughter children for the iniquities of their fathers, so they wont rise up and fill the earth. and again I say WHO ARE THESE CHILDREN???? It doesn't say anymore than that. It could have been anyone, it could have been no one. It could have been a metaphor to describe idolators. The whole point is that a lot of religious writings in the monotheistic "Big Three" are not literal. I'm saying that Isaiah 14:21 is not literal. You claim it is. I think you're wrong. You don't. And so it will go on and on.

Bottom line is we will continue to disagree. So I withdraw. Have a nice life.

- Raven
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2010
    As a Jew myself (albeit not an overly religious one), I have to disagree with your conclusion that Yahweh "ordered/told" the Jews to kill people who were "children of sinful fathers" and those of other religions. And killing those who worked on the Sabbath was not necessarily always punishable by death. However, homosexuality WAS a sin punishable by death.
    If you are referring to the text in Leviticus, homosexuality (male only) is listed among the 'impurities' and subject to cleansing not a death sentence.
  • edited May 2010
    So we are at an agreement, Dhamma Dhatu's statement was incorrect, which is all I wanted to point out in the first place. I'm still wondering why you evaded some of my statements and my question to you, maybe you realized that I was right about them? You even said it, "the Tanakh was written thousands of years ago for a tribal people", so why should we follow it today? It wasn't written for us. We don't live tribal libes today, so why do people cling to Judaism? You say that Isaiah 14:21 has "no clear definition", I think it does, it tells you to prepare to slaughter children for the iniquities of their fathers, so they wont rise up and fill the earth. Have a good day, peace.

Are you a Jew?, if not, you do not have to follow the Tanakh, therefore, it shouldn't matter to you. Also, do you really believe that other people in the ancient world were different back then?, or even certain tribal groups today?, war was (and is) horrible. I've never heard the Jews, or any Rabbi, call for the death of Pagans, those of other religions, LGBT people or anyone.

You may also want to know that in Judaism, it's said the Tanakh must be reinterpreted by each generation, and that what held true for one generation does not, necessarily, hold true for another.
    edited May 2010
    David_2009 wrote: »
    ............... I've never heard the Jews, or any Rabbi, call for the death of Pagans, those of other religions, LGBT people or anyone.

Not true, alas, David, as those of us who oppose Israel's words and actions know only too well, although we are labeled antisemitic, self-hating Jews!
    You may also want to know that in Judaism, it's said the Tanakh must be reinterpreted by each generation, and that what held true for one generation does not, necessarily, hold true for another.

A lesson that most Christian groups failed to learn and persist in ignoring.
  • edited May 2010
    Not true, alas, David, as those of us who oppose Israel's words and actions know only too well, although we are labeled antisemitic, self-hating Jews!

True, I don't like when some people accuse others of anti-Semitism for criticizing the Israeli government (for myself, Israeli society seems very cool, like they're incredibly accepting of LGBT people, and Israel is apparantly one of the safest places to visit, it's the actions of the government I don't like (kind of like the actions of the U.S. government), and I say that as someone from a Jewish heritage).
    A lesson that most Christian groups failed to learn and persist in ignoring.

Very true, unfortunately.
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Our obstacle to understanding Jesus is we are stuck on notions of enlightenment and Buddha-Nature.

However, the Buddha himself never taught all beings were capable of enlightenment. For those incapable of enlightenment, there are teachers such as Jesus.

They do not teach impermanence & emptiness, just like many Buddhist schools do not teach impermanence & emptiness to those unable to penetrate those truths.

One of the Downfalls of a Bodhisatva is to teach emptiness to those who cannot understand it.

Hi DD, I have to disagree with you,

Your statement above is due to that you do not adopt the notion of successful rebirths in the practice.
    Like many Buddhists who took the notion of successful rebirths of practices ( as many in Mahayana and Nikayan, and Buddha in his scriptures talks about his past existence ) , then it is perfectly OK one to enter the Dharma gates to some provisional teachings , be it a non-Buddhist teachings which has influenced by the Buddha Dharma in the early stage, then proceed into more fundamental provisonal Buddhist teaching, and then progressively advance in more sophosticated Dharma gates - the teachings and practices are simplely too vast that one required to comsume and polished in many suceessful lifetimes
  • edited May 2010
    richard dawkins on jehovah:

quote-open.jpg The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. quote-close.jpg
    edited May 2010
    armando wrote: »
    richard dawkins on jehovah:

quote-open.jpg The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. quote-close.jpg

Dawkins may know a lot about evolution but he really should read more if he thinks that Yhwh is "the most unpleasant character in all fiction". Not even close. Not even the most unpleasant deity. Second rate, really - and a chooser of losers in the the story.
    edited May 2010
    Dawkins may know a lot about evolution but he really should read more if he thinks that Yhwh is "the most unpleasant character in all fiction". Not even close. Not even the most unpleasant deity. Second rate, really - and a chooser of losers in the the story.

As a Jew I find that hilarious :D
    edited May 2010
    As a Jew I find that hilarious :D

As a Jew, so do I.
  • edited May 2010
    yeah hasn't he ever read pride and prejudice

just kiddin
    edited May 2010
    yeah hasn't he ever read pride and prejudice

just kiddin

...or Moby Dick lol.
  • edited May 2010
    Dear Forum
    Is it Jesus, who provided an easy path for the liberation of beings?
    Or is it the Brahmins & Buddhists who oppress beings with fears & worries about countless rebirths?
    Or is it the Buddha, who taught 'not-self' and 'emptiness'?
    With metta,
    Knowing the existence of rebirth and/or heaven, would bring the world together for a common destiny of love and harmony, and smoothen the path of liberation towards ones Pure land :)
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Wilfred,

With respect. People still try to dispute the fact that the world is round!
    Even if rebirth was proved without doubt 100% false, there would still be people believing in it and fighting their case causing dukkha for themselves and others. Even if rebirth was proved without doubt 100% true, there would still be people disbelieving in it and fighting their case causing dukkha for themselves and others.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Actually in Buddhist terms Yhwh is a jealous god, not a god. In fact, the very model of a jealous god.

Palzang
  • edited June 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Actually in Buddhist terms Yhwh is a jealous god, not a god. In fact, the very model of a jealous god.

Palzang

I hope you don't mind me asking, and sorry if it sounds dumb, but, what do you mean by YHWH is a jealous god, not a god?, in Buddhist terms, wouldn't he be a god who's jealous (a bit like the Hawaiian Volcano Goddess Pele)?.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    No, it's part of the Six Realms that the Buddha described, hell, hungry ghost or preta, animal, human, jealous god, and god. The jealous gods are like demigods, long-lived but not so long-lived as true gods. The six realms symbolize the six negative emotions or mind-states: hell-anger/hatred, hungry ghost-greed, animal-stupidity/ignorance, human-doubt, jealous god-envy, god-pride. But the description of jealous gods is much like YHWH.

Palzang
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Palzang is refering to Asura of the six lower realms in Buddhism

" The Buddhist asuras are broadly derived, in general character, from the wicked asuras of Hinduism, but have acquired some very distinctive myths which are only found in Buddhist texts.
    In its Buddhist context, the word is sometimes translated " Titan" (suggesting the wars of the Greek gods and Titans), "demigod", or "antigod", none of which is entirely satisfactory. The closest analogy in European traditions may be the Norse jotnar, who range from the semi-divine to the monstrous, are sometimes at war with the gods and sometimes married to them. But the usual translation, "giants", is small improvement on "Titans". "

The term Asura is linguistically related to the Ahuras of Zoroastrianism, but has in that religion a different meaning. The negative character of the Asura in Hinduism seems to have evolved over time. The Bhagavad Gita (16.4) says that the Asuric qualities are pride, arrogance, conceit, anger, harshness, and ignorance.