Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the true religion

2»

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I think that buddhism says that all views are wrong. In a nutshell. So it is not the typical religion which claims it has the truth. Buddhism says that that which is liberating is correct. So christianity etc is also liberating. and true. But only when it is liberating. When it fails then you need something more powerful. Like emptiness. Which is very dangerous. A bit like dynamite. But it can blow up some huge obstacles.
  • edited January 2010
    Buddhism doesn't state that at all to my knowledge. It merely states it's the only path to liberation (and I mean awakening/enlightenment, not "finding God"). Nowhere are the views of any other religions denied. The Buddha said it was incorrect, in the pursuit of liberation that Buddhism is about, to even pose the question of whether or not there is a creator god.

Buddhism is a tool to realize the reality we blind ourselves to. There are many who even after awakening to this truth maintain or at least do not dismiss the existence of things they believed in prior to following the path. It's entirely possible the universe was created, that a god or gods exist, that there's a purpose, etc. etc. etc.... but none of that pertains to the cessation of all mental suffering, and none of it has been proven or has there been a way found to prove it.

I'd like for there to be a reason for the season, but at least knowledge of the truth that we can see for ourselves, a deep abiding knowledge that knows no self and isn't afraid of the imminent end of a personal life (death? pff. just let me do some good first). But how would we know which religion would be true? They all ask you to believe things that you can not prove. Buddhism asks only for a _little_ faith, more in the way of confidence that liberation can be achieved, and anyone who puts a little effort in actually finds the proof.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    :lol:
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Buddha Dharma by itself is certainly beyond the scope of religion and philiosphy , it is seeing the universal truth about our reality of existence and non-existence .

but then in order the save the suffering people , it has to adopt itself as a form of religion , because our deluded human mind is programed to be 'religious', else their scattering mind cannot devote themselve to a cause
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited February 2010
    that why there continue the questions here in forum of ' that a god or gods exist ? ' even none of them have directly encountered one in their entire life , but they still want to hope to belief one , as they are too frighten to walk the path alone