Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lust

edited May 2009 in Buddhism Basics
What is the buddhist view on lust? and how do you combat it?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Samadhi wrote: »

The advice is always the same: watch the emotion arise, notice that there was a time when it was not and know that there is a time when it will no longer be. Let it flow through you as you notice your breath as it comes and goes. Let it become gentle.

Of course there is a lot said and written about lust, anger, greed, etc., but they are all the same, in the end: transitory events.

As ever, the choice is yours whether to give in and wallow in the feeling or to stay balanced and gently amused by the ingenuity of our body/mind to distract us from equanimity.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited May 2009
    I see lust as one of my strongest attachments. I choose to observe it at this point in my life, be mindful of it, and see how it affects me. Like the pain in my knee, or the fact that my foot falls asleep while meditating, or that I crave doughnuts. Lust is no more or less dangerous than any of those other attachments to me. I am mindful of it, that's all I choose to do right now. Not sure that it is something to be "combatted".
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Samadhi wrote: »

For monks and nuns, it's an attachment to overcome and transcend.
    It's an obstacle for them, because some traditions (not all) require celibacy from their ordained followers....
    It's a shame that the word 'lust' seems to carry with it overtones of seediness and sordid connotations.
    Lust is a healthy, fun enjoyable state, if you are in a relationship with a regular partner or are married.

I appreciate that there are difficulties dealing with feelings of lust if one is alone.... but I think the distinction needs to be made between what is a natural carnal desire, and something wont to take us straying from the path...

The Buddhist view on Lust is precisely the same as any form of attachment, be it to sex or hard boiled eggs with tomato ketchup.
    Everything in Moderation - including Moderation.

And as a Moderator, I can say that.
    :p
  • edited May 2009
    Lust is a perfectly normal and acceptable emotional state (both in Buddhism and modern Psychology) depending on the context of the experience. It’s not something that needs to be feared or completely combated out of existence if you're in a relationship with another person and that lust is directed at them. It's when the lust begins to breed attachment and sexual misconduct which can cause you to stray from the path that it becomes a problem.

~nomad
  • edited May 2009
    Lust and its companion aversion are key components of our becoming, or 'being' within that which Buddhists call samsara. Some fight lust by cultivating aversion towards it. Kind of like a dog chasing its own tail.

It has to be dropped - not fought.

So, how much do you want to drop you?
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Lust is managed with right view regarding sexuality. Right view regarding sexuality is based in the perception of what his harmful sexual conduct and what is not. If we do not have a clear perception of what is harmful and not harmful in regards to sexuality, it will be difficult to manage lust.

With metta

DDhatu