Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Right Speech Question

edited June 2009 in Buddhism Basics
From http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-vaca/index.html

"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

I have had several college professors who commonly use the words 'fuck' and 'shit' as everyday language. They don't seem to give these words any "power" and are not necesarrily using them for "shock value." Do you follow me? They simply are using them as legitimate sentence enhancers. Two of them are English professors, actually.

Does this example still go against the third precept? I am torn because I use these words more when I am around them, and they almost encourage it in our classes. I respect these guys, as they are very intelligent and honest people whom I look up to quite a bit...

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2009
    In my opinion, no, it doesn't go against the fourth precept.
  • edited May 2009
    If the words aren't being used in a divisive or abusive way, I don't see why they'd violate Right Speech. It's all about intentions and consequences; if there's no bad intention or consequence, there's no harm.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Right Speech is not the only "virtue" involved here.
    The Eightfold Path, whilst highlighting the different virtues or considerations, should be taken as a whole...
    What about Right View? Right Intention? Right Effort? Right Livelihood?

When you consider that those words are bleeped out of programmes on television, someone, somewhere believes them to be 'Wrong Speech'.
    Why?
    Because they are classified as offensive. And they are 'intended' to be offensive.
    There is a world of difference between "What are you looking at?" and What the Fuck are you looking at?"

They are surplus to requirement, really. they might be an emphasis of mood, but they're not strictly speaking necessary.
    So what is the intention of using those words? Where is the effort in putting your point across, without causing raised eyebrows, or offence? Should a teacher use such language in his Livelihood?

Swearing - repeatedly swearing - at a Police Officer can constitute a breach of the peace, in the UK. If a person ignores warnings to refrain from using foul language, they can be arrested for provocative and offensive behaviour under Section 5 of the Public Order Act.

A bit of Mindfulness and forethought could help a person get their point across very effectively without resorting to foul language.

Gandhi Brought about the independence of India through peaceful means. I don't think in that time, the word 'Fuck' ever passed his lips.
  • edited May 2009
    I agree to a point, Federica. But it's relative to context. To use those words around people who would take offence is 'wrong' (since it's giving unnecessary offence, a small but important distinction, because nearly everything you say and stand for will be 'offensive' to someone, somewhere). But to use those words just around mates who are also using them, where no one in that group either gives or takes offence by their use, bothers no one.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2009
    I think we need to understand that language and custom are subject (like everything else) to constant change. 60-odd years ago, when I was a child, expressions like "shut up" or the word "bloody" were taboo. "Bloody" was used on the stage for the first time by Shaw in Pygmalion (1913) and caused scandal. When Othello was first performed on the French stage and the word mouchoir was used, there was a riot.

That we who are growing older find our successors' language objectionable does not make it so.

Add to this that the English languages contain words which, in one place, are deemed unacceptable but normal elsewhere. The best example I have come across is the clash between the UK and US use of the word "fanny".
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Prometheus, If you can 100% guarantee every time that you will know which is which, then there's no problem. But even passers-by have ears, and they hear things unintentionally.

Remember that every situation gathering kamma has to be intentional.
    If you intentionally use such language simply because you feel comfortable, as others in your group do so, is that not 'Wrong' Intention?

And the Buddha also advised us against consorting with 'fools'.... of course, that definition would be up to you......
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Of course these words are wrong speech.

They are examples of harsh speech arising from a heart with an absence of mindfulness.

When a human being is composed, collected and in touch with their heart-mind, these kinds of words are not uttered.

These words generally arise from habit rather than from mindfulness and self-awareness.
  • edited May 2009
    Prometheus, If you can 100% guarantee every time that you will know which is which, then there's no problem. But even passers-by have ears, and they hear things unintentionally.

If you intentionally use such language simply because you feel comfortable, as others in your group do so, is that not 'Wrong' Intention?

I can 100% guarantee it when in a room with my mates and no passers-by. What's wrong with the intention, if there is no intention of using it with any abusive, divisive, or offensive connotations whatsoever? In fact, without those intentions, do they not cease to be swear words at all, but instead just... words?

We also have to remember that often, we choose whether or not we are 'offended'. People must ask themselves, do they really have to be offended by such things? Is the offence in the words, or in themselves? Aren't there enough real problems in the world without choosing more? Of course if they insist on being offended, I won't do it around them. But it's just an interesting point to ponder.
    edited May 2009
    Prometheus wrote: »

I can 100% guarantee it when in a room with my mates and no passers-by. What's wrong with the intention, if there is no intention of using it with any abusive, divisive, or offensive connotations whatsoever? In fact, without those intentions, do they not cease to be swear words at all, but instead just... words?
    if that is the case, why use them at all? The fact that you have even brought the subject up would indicate there is a question in your mind....
    We also have to remember that often, we choose whether or not we are 'offended'. People must ask themselves, do they really have to be offended by such things? Is the offence in the words, or in themselves? Aren't there enough real problems in the world without choosing more? Of course if they insist on being offended, I won't do it around them. But it's just an interesting point to ponder.
    That is not your choice. That is their choice. And if they choose to be offended by your words, then you must accept part of the responsibility.
    The responsibility for your words and actions does not end the moment you have finished uttering or acting.
    Your responsibility ends when your words and actions have been received, and the retort or re-action has arisen. This is where the kamma bears fruit....

If someone is offended by your words/actions, this does not absolve you from the responsibility of what you have said/done.

Prometheus, communication is a two-way street, and it cannot be otherwise.
  • edited May 2009
    One thing you guys have to remember about these so-called "swear words" are that they are not innately bad. As Prometheus said, we give these words the meaning and power that they have. Once you remove that, they are simply words in the English dictionary.
    edited May 2009
    Sambhodi, nobody is denying this.
    The problem occurs when we come across someone who is not mindful or aware of this.

It's all very well using reasoning such as "the words are empty, they only have the meaning we ascribe to them", but if I were to call you a "fucking little shit", it might offend you in the sense that my intention in using the words would be derogatory.

I could also say you are a 'wondrous little Angel', and that would have the opposite effect.

Yet they are all still 'simply words'.

Intention is all....

And like it or not, the intention behind "fucking little shit" is wildly different to that of "wondrous little angel".

I can no more call you the former and sincerely wish you anything but good,
    any more than I could call you the latter, and sincerely wish you anything but harm.

Please pardon my language, everyone....!! :o:o
  • edited May 2009
    I have never been an exalted college professor, only a humble schoolteacher. Have I ever used these words with pupils? Of course not. Have they ever used them with me? Of course not. They are clearly inappropriate to use in respectful conversation with another.
  • edited May 2009
    Dazzle wrote: »
    I have never been an exalted college professor, only a humble schoolteacher. Have I ever used these words with pupils? Of course not. Have they ever used them with me? Of course not. They are clearly inappropriate to use in respectful conversation with another.
    Uhm. Do I even need to highlight the profound differences between a 13 year old in 7th grade and a 21 year old in college?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Apply Dhatu's test: Can you say these words while in a state of equanimity, loving-kindness, compassion and joy? If so, no problem. That state is what the precepts are pointing to.
    edited May 2009
    sambodhi wrote: »
    Uhm. Do I even need to highlight the profound differences between a 13 year old in 7th grade and a 21 year old in college?

Yes, go ahead.....
  • edited May 2009
    Federica,

Why still use them at all when there's no bad intention, and no offence given or taken? Because they're emphasis enhancers. What I'm wondering is why you still object when there's no bad intention or offence, since you've been saying all along that it's intentions that are all-important, and I've agreed.

And, I wasn't the one who brought it up. I've only being posting in reply to other people on here.

And yes, you're right that it's their choice to be offended, not mine, and I won't do it around them if they make that choice (that's kinda what I was saying in the first place...)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2009
    I just used the "F" word on another thread. I hope no one takes offense. I used it to emphasize the dangerous nature of a particular action and my intention was to virtually shake the person to whom I was replying. I don't know if it was necessary or not but I'll certainly think more about it now.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2009
    As Chandrakirti allegedly said in one of his works, "Words are not policemen on the prowl. We are not subject to their independent authority. They take their meaning from the intention of the person speaking."
  • edited May 2009
    Keep in mind the Buddha's teaching on this (from AN 5.198). Right speech is timely and skillful in delivery; it is of course honest, and is spoken with a kind heart. Lastly, right speech is not harmful. What makes this so challenging in life situations is that right speech needs to be all of these elements in tandem/combination, so for example, if there was no intent to harm with words, and yet those words indeed did cause someone harm, then it is possible that the verbal communication was ill-timed and/or unskillful in its delivery and hence, it is unlikely to be right speech.

The fact that someone uses a "naughty word" is really not an issue per se, as others have mentioned. Heck, if right speech were that easy, any of us could master it merely by eliminating cuss words from our verbal repertoire. Conversely, if adding a choice expletive were to gain your attention towards some incoming danger, then such profanity it just might be beneficial, timely, and skillful speech indeed!

- TxH

PS: Allow me this opportunity to use right speech by saying HELLO to my lovely dhamma sis, Brigid. Hi Boo. :-)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Or one could simply adopt the attitude that all sounds are the mantra's sound, as we tantric Buddhists say.

Palzang
  • edited May 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    Or one could simply adopt the attitude that all sounds are the mantra's sound, as we tantric Buddhists say.

Palzang

Absolutely true friend! And yet, if I utter speech with ill-intent in my heart, I still generate kamma. Your ability to demonstrate "right concentration" does not remove me from my own responsibility for right speech! :smilec:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2009
    But if you develop pure view, then there is no such thing as karma.

Palzang
  • edited May 2009
    Correct! :) Yet, if I engage in speech with ill-intent in my heart, then I demonstrate that I have not developed said pure view, hence I produce kamma!

The good news is that each and every present moment offers the chance to go beyond kamma and leave no wake behind; each and every moment is a new beginning. The training of mind is a lifetime of loving effort, but it unfolds only as now, now, now!

I take this into my morning and my day's journey, with loving kindness, gratitude, and mindful effort.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Exactamente. :bowdown:

Palzang
  • edited May 2009
    VERY intersting thread! I think there is a place for certain words to be used and a place where they are inappropriate. Isnt it interesting how things can be so different depending on where you are on our planet? In England, they use the "F" word alot and I think in Ireland as well...no one even notices. In America, if two men walk down the street holding hands, they are immediately homosexual...yet in places in the Orient, it's perfectly normal to do so. I think it isnt up to us to judge anyone for the language they use or the color of their hair....ours is to look at them as not being enlightened yet like we have been. I'm not saying it makes it right to use the "F" word in a college setting, but perhaps it makes it easier to look beyond it if it offends us.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2009
    PS: Allow me this opportunity to use right speech by saying HELLO to my lovely dhamma sis, Brigid. Hi Boo. :-)
    Hiya, Texas!! Great to see you here!
  • edited June 2009
    Wow, that was an exciting thread.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Words are just words ... intention is King, so to speak. Yet, I would like to make four points:

1. Using swear words as "legitimate sentence enhancers" indicates a dearth of vocabulary, a lack of imagination, and an individual who is "self-expression challenged". When you consider that some of these people are English professors, it becomes downright scary! They do not sound worth of being emulated.

2. I have never heard even ONE single lama/monk/nun swear... ever. It seems to me that this is significant.

3. The practice of Buddhism involved mindFULness, not the mindLESSness of speaking without thinking. As someone who chooses Buddhism, is not to be your benefit to mimic the behaviors of those around you, especially those whose speech seems to be exhibit mindlessness. Rather, your actions should be mindful and generated from yourself rather than your environment.

4. Speaking purely from a practical standpoint, unless you are planning to become an English professor, it does not behoove you to develop the habit of swearing. I can't think of any white-collar employer who will tolerate it, (although swearing seems to be almost "mandatory" among the blue-collar workers in my company).
  • edited June 2009
    From http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-vaca/index.html

I have had several college professors who commonly use the words 'fuck' and 'shit' as everyday language. They don't seem to give these words any "power" and are not necesarrily using them for "shock value." Do you follow me? They simply are using them as legitimate sentence enhancers. Two of them are English professors, actually.

I have known several college professors like that. I find it pretty tactless when people gratuitously swear or just do it in normal conversation. "Sentence enhancers" reminds me of the Spongebob episode where he and Patrick start swearing at everyone in town.

I regard second-hand swearing as some may regard second-hand smoke. I don't want to be subject to other peoples' foul language in public.

I have nothing against swear words themselves. But you have to restrain their use for when you really mean it. It's difficult to convey frustration to people when you swear all the time anyway. A person has much more power in words when he only swears and curses during times of considerable emotion.
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited June 2009

"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

Does this example still go against the third precept? I am torn because I use these words more when I am around them, and they almost encourage it in our classes. I respect these guys, as they are very intelligent and honest people whom I look up to quite a bit...

They are as you have pointed out just words, sounds that we wish to place meaning in. However, when one speaks one should be mindful of the effect that could be presented in another mind by such speech. Some could find it vulgar and offensive and it might stir anger in their mind. Our goal is to help set their minds free of such delusional thinking but first we must present ourselves in a manner that they could find acceptable and therefore find it within their selves to listen to Dharma from us. Impressions count for a lot in a world that is ran by delusion and a sense of self.