Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Iron

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited May 2009 in Arts & Writings
I'm not sure what the deal was today ... Continue reading

Comments

• edited May 2009
    I wish I had a friend that told me that when I was running. I'm not sure I've ever shared this with you, but 3 years ago I was 100 lbs overweight. Emotionally unhappy, relationship sucked, blah blah blah. I had always walked but I began to run. I started with 1 minute increments and within 9 months I could run 5 miles. I lost 50 lbs but about a year ago I hit a wall, I only lost weight if I was increasing my time running and I ran out of time. I just couldn't spend more time than 5 miles allowed. Then life got stressful and somewhere I lost that adrenaline rush I'd get halfway in, so I all but stopped the last 6 months.

In the 2 years I ran 4x a week, I found that everything I ate and did, affected how well I ran. EVERYTHING. If I had even one drink the night before, my run was harder and my stamina was down. It didn't matter whether I was running 1 mile or 5, the first 30% of the run felt like it was going to kill me, and it never got easier. But then I'd get that adrenaline rush halfway through, and the rest of the run was on air. I held that feeling in my mind for next time. I wrote an quickie article on my blog called Head Games Run Rampant because I spent so much time trying to mentally spur myself on.

You know I read your article regularly, and the reason is you are motivating me to kick my butt into gear again. Yesterday I couldn't afford the time but I went out and ran 1/3 of a mile just so I could get the process started again. I only slept 3.5 hours but I am committing to, at the very least, throwing a few weights around today. I'm hoping that in your journey you'll find answers to some of my questions as well.

And as far as there not being a noticable change... I don't even have to see you to know there are obvious changes. Well done. Keep running!

Pat
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Hello Brian and Cletch,
    Many years ago I lost 125 lbs. Its amazing how many of us found that jogging/running was the key to open the door, along with diet. I can't tell you much that you don't already know. However in planning for long term success you will probably need to find out what foods best meet your metabolic processes. For me eating a very large amount of green leafy vegetables is what I do every day. As a personal choice I eat once a day.
    To keep weight off is a long term process. It often seems as though it doesn't get easier but we gain a great education in being adaptable.
    Congratulations and life long success to the both of you.

grackle
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited May 2009
    You guys rock!

Pat, I didn't know that; congratulations on the major weight loss. We both know what we've both been through, so you know I can relate :)