Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hi, a newbie and a question about visiting a Buddhist temple

edited May 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Namaste everyone !
I didnt see an intro forum so i hope its ok that i post this here.

About me...

Im actually a new hare krishna devotee... I was raised christian and converted to judaism then hinduism after experimenting with differant beliefs along the way.

I first got interested in Buddhism when i studied martial arts, theres a lot that I like about it, and its where i learned to first chant mantras on beads and meditate... I never formally became a Buddhist mainly because i couldnt get my head around a world without God, but i have a lot of respect for Buddhism and the lessons it taught me , which has recently been renewed since I became involved in Hinduism ..

In Hinduism I learned that Buddha was a great Sidhu, or teacher and i respect him as being someone incredibly advanced spiritually...

I also like the way that Hinduism and Buddhism are so close in terms of language and belief and practice..

Im visiting a ( Japanese - shinto - i think ) Buddhist center soon and so here are my questions..

1 ) Is it ok for me to pay my respects / obeisances to Buddha in a temple the same way i would in a Hindu temple. By bowing and / or doing Namaste ?? will i offend any of the monks or nuns by doing this ?

are there any other things i should know - besides the obvious of dressing modestly etc ?

Will Buddhists mind that im bowing to Buddha etc even though im not a Buddhist ?

what other things should I know about how to behave or dress ? I really have a lot of respect for Buddhism and Buddhists and i dont want to offend any one by unintentionaly behaving or acting in an incorrect way.

Also - how do you address Buddhist monks or Nuns ? In my temple we use Prabhu or Mataji to convey respect - how is this done in Buddhism ?

And how do Buddhists great each other ? do they use Namaste ? or another greeting ?

2 ) There is a Buddhist temple near me, that runs meditation classes etc. Id like to go to services and classes there during the week, since my Hindu temple is quite far from where i live and i can only make it on weekends...

Is it ok for people to go to Buddhist temples and take part in services and classes even if they arent Buddhist ?

I feel quite comfortable around Buddists and I like the idea of going to temples. I think its would be good to expand my knowledge and understanding of a faith that is so close to my own - but again - i dont want to offend anyone...

Im sorry for asking so many questions on my first post. Id be really greatfull if you can help me answer any of them...

Namaste

Comments

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Channah108 wrote: »
    Is it ok for people to go to Buddhist temples and take part in services and classes even if they arent Buddhist ?

Yes of course :)

As to the rest of the questions, why don't you go and see for yourself. There will be better and probably more accurate instructions on how to address the monks and nuns as it may depend on the tradition.

For example in the Theravadan tradition, one uses the phrase "Venerable" but as I said this may depend.

The Gassho / Anjali is a typical gesture of greeting within Buddhism.

Best wishes.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2009
    A common term in approaching a Monk, is to call them Bhante.
    This is simply a respectful term....

have a wonderful time. It sounds to me as if you have everything pretty much covered.
    Play follow my leader, and do as others do.
    You'll be fine. ;)