Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

no body/floating feeling

edited August 2009 in Meditation
After I have been focusing for awhile on the sensation of my breath I begin to sense no body(no awareness of where my body begins and what I am sitting on etc and just floating feeling...I just seem to stay in this state and once in awhile wondering why I feel this way. Can you comment
about this?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Don't permit it to inhibit your progress.
    Note it, and observe it, but don't pay it any specific, particular attention.
    It's all 'part of the deal'.

But it's not THE deal.

:)
  • edited May 2009
    It was actually kind of scaring me...that is all. Nothing to do with being a "Deal or No Deal" lol
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2009
    earthlake wrote: »
    It was actually kind of scaring me...that is all. Nothing to do with being a "Deal or No Deal" lol

Another thing to notice and pass on from, Earthlake.
  • edited June 2009
    I have this same feeling when I meditate, it's completely normal.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2009
    I also experience the "no body/floating feeling" while meditating and I find it quite useful because I have a permanent back injury with nerve damage that causes chronic pain, sometimes quite fierce pain, and any break from that pain helps me catch my breath. Just knowing I can get some relief for an hour or so each day is enough to make the rest of the time much easier to handle.

However, and this is a big however, I have to be vigilant about how I feel about this 'receding body' feeling because the feeling of relief from pain can become an addiction itself, an attachment. So I can't allow myself to become dependent upon it. It's a challenge to train myself to use it and not abuse it. But that's a good thing as well because that kind of training is very useful.

Welcome to the site, Earthlake. Great name, by the way.
  • edited June 2009
    I come from the Ajahn Brahm school of thought here, which is to not be afraid of consciousness states, sensations, perceptions (or the lack thereof!) that arise during meditation.

Many years ago, I used to think that if pleasant feelings were not occurring during meditation, then the session was not successful. This was a very silly way to view it (*chuckle*). All things that happen during meditation are important for me, including emotional and physical pain (Note: Medication to treat injuries, necessary pain management, and/or to treat one's mental health is a good idea. After all, the whole point of dhamma my dear friends, is the elimination of suffering!).

I have learned to gently accept all these weird sensations and thoughts and perceptions as a reflection of my kamma! Harnessing equanimity toward my positive and not-so-positive experiences actually allows those positive experiences to be even more positive because of non-attachment. By "more positive" I do not mean "more" here in terms of intensity, but rather, in terms of a state that is balanced, stable, grounded. Also, because they remain open and beyond expectation and removed from any intentions. Think of the subtly of fine green tea or the aroma of saffron. Less intense, but highly rewarding for those with the appreciation that less is sometimes....more! : )

Think of those times when you are doing something pleasurable with close friends or family that was totally spontaneous; totally unexpected. I ADORE those moments, because they are free-flowing, without calculation, without agendas or intentions. They are liberating, and when they happen, you are naturally connected to the present moment because you realize just how precious and rare these experiences can be.

There is so much beautiful irony in the dhamma! When I let go of pleasure, then pleasure returns to me ten fold without my seeking it or expecting it! When I let go of fear, anger, ego, negative emotions or energy, it diminishes from me ten fold. Releasing mind from pleasure and displeasure alike, and recognizing them as equally impermanent, that is the key.

But the biggest irony of all thus far for me? Whenever the dust falls away from my eyes, it merely gives me the crystal clear vision of just how much dust is still left (LOL!) but hey, that is okay! If we can truly learn to be gentle with ourselves, we can be gentle with just about any being.

Well...except for Dick Cheney. Doing metta for Dick Cheney is the advanced Bodhisattva course!

(Just teasing people, please do not take this last statement too seriously).
  • edited July 2009
    Never experienced it.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited August 2009
    earthlake wrote: »
    Can you comment about this?
    As Fede said, just note it and keep going :) Also, I highly recommend seeking out a great teacher whom you can talk to in person about such things. No guidance from an Internet forum can substitute for a great teacher, though we do our best. ;)