Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just something I was pondering on today

edited June 2009 in Buddhism Basics
While doing my sitting meditation this morning, I got to thinking: Do we choose the way of the Buddha or does the way of the Buddha choose us? Interesting isn't it?

Comments

• LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited May 2009
    That which you are seeking, is causing you to seek.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Suzanne52 wrote: »
    While doing my sitting meditation this morning, I got to thinking: Do we choose the way of the Buddha or does the way of the Buddha choose us? Interesting isn't it?

How about not thinking during meditation ? ;)

If you want to think, think afterwards, when meditating, meditate.

Just my 2c worth.
  • edited June 2009

Just my 2c worth.

Nothing wrong with thinking so long as we don't apply judgment to those thoughts or let them cloud our concentration. :grin:

~nomad
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009

Just my 2c worth.

Well, that would all depend on your interpretation and definition of Meditating, and what kind of meditating you're practising.
    Meditating is not about stopping thoughts. Meditation is about calming thoughts, obnserving them and letting them arise and fall, without hindrance.....

Stopping thinking is actually counter-productive.
    It prevent the brain from doing exactly what it was designed to do.

You wouldn't ask someone to stop breathing instead of watching it....

It's a similar thing.
    edited June 2009
    nomad wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with thinking so long as we don't apply judgment to those thoughts or let them cloud our concentration. :grin:

~nomad

The object of meditation is not to think - or think about those thoughts during meditation (which can include "judgement"). Sure, thoughts may arise, but one's focus and attention is not continuation of a train of thought (commonly called "thinking").

In anapanasati, one returns to the breath. In basic samatha training (whether the focus is breath or mantra or bare attention), one's intention is to return to the object (or in some cases, no object and thus still presence) in order to attain a basic degree of tranquility (and/or to experience a storm with a semblance of anchorage).

My point though was not that thoughts are 'wrong'/'bad' but that in basic meditation, one's intention and work is not to further the thoughts (commonly called "a train of thought") but rather to return to one's meditation (and meditation is not 'just thinking')

FWIW.
    edited June 2009
    federica wrote: »
    Well, that would all depend on your interpretation and definition of Meditating, and what kind of meditating you're practising.
    Meditating is not about stopping thoughts. Meditation is about calming thoughts, obnserving them and letting them arise and fall, without hindrance.....

Stopping thinking is actually counter-productive.
    It prevent the brain from doing exactly what it was designed to do.

You wouldn't ask someone to stop breathing instead of watching it....

It's a similar thing.

It's very quiet in here now, but yes thanks for the elucidation, I did not mean to BLOCK thought. But neither did I mean that thought won't stop. With sustained and long practice, oft it does and will, although this is a natural occurrence and not something that can be forced or willed. Instead, it's the natural fruition of a lucky practice.
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited June 2009
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Thoughts are quite common in contemplative meditation. As federica pointed out it truly depends on the type of meditation to which there are a great many. However, you are quite correct in that we do wish to quiet the mind in basic meditation such as breathing meditation.
  • edited June 2009
    I did not mean to BLOCK thought. But neither did I mean that thought won't stop. With sustained and long practice, oft it does and will, although this is a natural occurrence and not something that can be forced or willed. Instead, it's the natural fruition of a lucky practice.

Nicely put Abu. Thanks for clearing that up.
    edited June 2009
    _/\_
  • edited June 2009
    Hi Suzanne,

I can remember reaching rock bottom while a backpacker in Sydney and spending long days in Glebe (their alternative quarter) reading buddhist books and temporarily feeling uplifted - but it was all a bit freaky and other-worldly.

Then 2 years ago I bought a book by HH the Dalai Lama called How to See Yourself As You Really Are purely because I'd read all the self-help I could stomach and felt empty despite the good advice. I needed something spiritual. Reading that I cried at the recognition of myself as being really someone in a mask trying desperately hard to be liked and feeling very sad, lonely and tired.

From that day onwards I have felt very happy to practice buddhism and I guess I sought it out subconsciously.

It's true that only those who are ready to hear, read and learn will let it in somehow and follow the path.
    edited June 2009
    mk_raindrops.jpg

_/\_
  • edited June 2009
    Suzanne52 wrote: »

Hey that's interesting, man. But what if the answer is both?
  • edited June 2009
    The Dude wrote: »
    Hey that's interesting, man. But what if the answer is both?

Nice one Dude. What is Buddhism in any case? Lots of teachings which describe our journey home. Some people feel ready to make that journey - they feel called, like others feel towards mountains or the sea.
    My beloved Master, I come to you fed up with this Saṁsāra, tired of turning round and round in this world without finding a sense and purpose to my life. Am I going to die maybe without having done nothing but eating, sleeping, mating like an animal and defending what I think is mine? Is this the whole significance of my existence?
    Will I have perhaps to spend the rest of my days merely devoted to what is ephemeral or will I have a chance to realize that which is eternal?

Our original face, mind, dharmakaya from which all movement arises and into which it is released.

Namaste
    edited June 2009
    "Feels called"

*closes eyes, no words*

*shakes head*

_/\_

Where is the quote from, friend?
  • edited June 2009
    "Feels called"

*closes eyes, no words*

*shakes head*

_/\_

Nothing? Not even "gimme pizza"?

A true master :)

Where is the quote from, friend?

A non-Buddhist source *slap wrist*. It just seemed to capture how I sometimes feel about my own situation. Other times I don't much mind eating, sleeping, mating like an animal and defending what I think is mine.

It's from a site about Kashmiri Shaivism. A labour of love by a nice chap called Gabriel from Argentina:
    http://www.sanskrit-sanscrito.com.ar/en/trika_scriptstudy/vimarshiniihridaya1_study.shtml

Site:
    http://www.sanskrit-sanscrito.com.ar/index.html

It's well worth a rummage through the teachings he's translated. Thought provoking material.

Namaste
    Kris
    edited June 2009
    lol :-)

Thankyou very much for the reference, friend

Appreciated and will peruse

_/|\_