Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Old Age

PalzangPalzang Veteran
edited June 2009 in General Banter
Anyone have a parent or grandparent getting a bit senile? Maybe driving you crazy? Have a peep at this Greek short.

Palzang

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2009
    What a beautiful short film. It's going to be with me forever and I'm going to draw on my memory of it when I lose patience with my folks. I'm going to need to develop some serious skill sets pretty soon with patience, compassion and understanding being at the top of the list.

Thanks, Palzang. So much.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2009
    And one should always remember the teaching that all beings have been our loving parents at some time. Take the way this beautiful little film affected you and apply it to all beings, and I'm sure we will all be better off for it.

Palzang
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Those of us whose dads were assholes will have to find another way through. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Well, just because they were doesn't mean we have to be. I've seen a lot of people who had horrible relationships with their fathers when they were young turn it around when they got older and their fathers got wiser. Doesn't always happen, but it can. Sometimes all you've got to do is give them a chance. Assuming that's even possible, of course.

Palzang
  • edited June 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    Well, just because they were doesn't mean we have to be. I've seen a lot of people who had horrible relationships with their fathers when they were young turn it around when they got older and their fathers got wiser. Doesn't always happen, but it can. Sometimes all you've got to do is give them a chance. Assuming that's even possible, of course.

Palzang

Pally, you are spot on. This has happened to me (my brother/sister) and my father. Though we kids were alienated from him for a while, with time came healing, and rather than blame him for all the misdeeds from the past, I (we) live in the here and now and concentrate on caring for my sick mother.

Cheers.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Palzang wrote: »

Palzang
    Yeah, this was the case with me, too. He was ferociously violent, sadistic, and extremely difficult to deal with. Unfortunately my brother can't forgive him and still lives in the past where he goes over and over all the things my father did to him. He's really trapped.

When I came back home to help my mum take care of my ailing father I had an inkling that it would be good for me but I had no idea how good. I've virtually relived my childhood while being the one in charge this time. As my father weakened with age and illness I grew stronger with age and the dynamic shifted in a very big way. I don't have any sore feelings regarding my father at all anymore. None. I was never good at holding a grudge anyway but whatever has been going with our interaction for the last 7 years has given me the chance to work through everything with him. To my great surprise, it's my mother, with whom I was much closer, that has turned into the greatest challenge of my life. Lots and lots of work to do there. I can't express how grateful I am to have the opportunity to do so while she's still alive. How lucky am I??
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, Boo and Esau, you've discovered that you can never really give up on a person no matter how rotten they may have treated you. After all, they're just sentient beings like you and thus capable of making both giant screwups and amazing turnarounds.

Palzang
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited June 2009
    "Look how he abused me and hurt me,
    How he threw me down and robbed me."
    Live with such thoughts and you live in hate.

"Look how he abused me and hurt me,
    How he threw me down and robbed me."
    Abandon such thoughts, and live in love.

I can't say it better than that!
  • edited June 2009
    Palzang that really was beautiful!!!!!! :)