Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

David Carradine Dead

edited June 2009 in Buddhism Today
I was very sad to hear this, as his character in the Kung Fu series was a real inspiration for me many years ago.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8083834.stm

An amazing bloke.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I quite agree. He and Bruce Lee were very gifted individuals.
  • edited June 2009
    R.I.P., David.

~nomad
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Personally, I don't think it was suicide. Sources close to Carradine say that it's most likely foul play, and the prime suspect is none other than Bruce Lee. Now, I know this might sound a little out there, but it fits:

1. We all know that Lee never forgave Carradine for stealing the lead in Kung Fu. Lee's wife also claims that Lee is the one who actually created the concept for the series and that Warner Bros. stole the idea.

2. Lee not only has a motive, revenge, but he has the skills as well; only a martial arts mater could've bested Carradine. And there's also a rumour that Lee may have modelled the "suicide" after Lost episode 93.

3. But something else I heard sent chills up my spine. Apparently, unidentified witnesses at the scene said they saw a suspicious looking crow and a what they could only describe as a strange, ghostly looking man.
  • edited June 2009
    Hi Jason,
    I must admit, I don't 'get it'.

Namaste
    Kris
  • edited June 2009
    As I mentioned, my connection with David Carradine was via his role in the TV series Kung Fu. As a kid, I'd never seen a 'hero' like that. Up until then heroes for me had always been square-jawed feisty muscular military types with cool (usually futuristic) weapons.

This was a very different sort of thing. A quiet and humble man, willing to help others and avoid conflict wherever possible. I knew nothing about Asian martial arts, temples or anything of the sort, it was a complete eye-opener.

The nasty red-necks he kept having to deal with were larger versions of the bullies I faced at school. In a world where muscle-pumping machismo was touted as the answer to a male's woes, Cain was something else. Brilliant and inspiring.

My little debt to this actor and the Shaolin monk he portrayed.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Yes, it was a good show. I also enjoyed watching it when I was a kid.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't think I ever watched Kung Fu, but I do remember that he was the pseudo-Buddhist from Dead and Breakfast and of course, from Kill Bill. I thought he was an extremely talented actor.

~nomad
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Elohim wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think it was suicide. Sources close to Carradine say that it's most likely foul play, and the prime suspect is none other than Bruce Lee. Now, I know this might sound a little out there, but it fits:

1. We all know that Lee never forgave Carradine for stealing the lead in Kung Fu. Lee's wife also claims that Lee is the one who actually created the concept for the series and that Warner Bros. stole the idea.

2. Lee not only has a motive, revenge, but he has the skills as well; only a martial arts mater could've bested Carradine. And there's also a rumour that Lee may have modelled the "suicide" after Lost episode 93.

3. But something else I heard sent chills up my spine. Apparently, unidentified witnesses at the scene said they saw a suspicious looking crow and a what they could only describe as a strange, ghostly looking man.

Well that's enough "proof" for me... Hahahahahaha!!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Funny, I thought Bruce Lee was dead.

Anyway, I too liked the Kung Fu series. It was, as you said, Sri, a welcome change to the usual macho hero BS. I also loved David in the movie "Road to Glory", a biopic of Woody Guthrie. If you've never seen it, check it out. In fact, I like all the Carradines as actors. Check out "Emperor of the North" for a good Keith Carradine flick.

Palzang