Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I will be here all week....

edited June 2009 in Buddhism Basics
one thing that I find interesting, on this forum and on other buddhist forums I have come across is the often humorous take used by a lot of the poster's reply, not only in regards to themselves but to buddhism itself. Not in a way that is making fun of buddhism, but that shows buddhism has a certain levity that say a guilt based religious system like catholicism doesn't seem to carry.

does this make sense to anyone? and if so, why do you suppose that is?

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2009
    It's the lack of dogma. It allows our real personalities to shine through; as you say, the lack of guilt has a great deal to do with it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Taking one's self too seriously is a sign of anal retention....
    Life's too short to spend it miserable....
    Levity is the sustenance of the spirit.....

Laugh a lot, cry a little, and hug.
    Always.
  • edited June 2009
    Every site has its share of sanctimonious old windbags.

Thankfully, they're in short supply here but there are plenty on other Buddhist sites if you take a look around.

Buddhism's not immune to it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    (I think I've just been called 'a sanctimonious old windbag'.....:eek:)

I'm short, see.....? :p:D
  • edited June 2009
    federica wrote: »

Well good things come in small packages they do say.;)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Well, I never give in to frivolity. I am totally, completely serious every minute of the day. No, really! :rolleyesc

Palzang
  • edited June 2009
    hmm... I am going to stick to my previous assumption that the sunglasses have given you a way. :)

... oh, and the quote thanking god for maintaining atheist status. Good sarcasm is always in short supply.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Hey, you're the Dude!

I've never seen a picture of Jesus laughing. Indeed, I've been told that the shortest sentence in the Bible is, "Jesus wept." (It's in the Lazarus narrative —not Lazarus in the parable, who was the leper outside the callous rich man's house, but Lazarus the "Beloved Disciple," according to Raymond Brown.)

Of course, we've all seen the "chubby" smiling or laughing buddhas! BTW, is it irreverent to laugh while rubbing their bellies?

Western ethics sees things too narrowly, really —as either good or bad, essentially. It is precisely that simplistic, dualistic judgment of things that drives wedges between people and makes them take a stand or take sides. The consequences of such stern judgments may not always be the stuff of which jokes are made, either, it turns out.

The East, on the other hand, essentially see things as just "there." Things just are "the way they are," and the way we think about them doth not necessarily correspond with their reality.

The East sees attachment to things as problematic and senses that our Likes and Dislikes are really what govern the bulk of our behavior. Realizing this, the Eastern practitioner accepts his or her likes and dislikes, but strives not to Identify with these phenomena.

Therefore, the Eastern adherent is freer not to take it all so derned seriously.

Time's up.

What d'ya think, Dude?
  • edited June 2009
    well if you aren't into the whole brevity thing you make also call me the dudeinski or el duderino.

I think that Jesus was a lot like FDR. They never snapped a picture of FDR in his wheelchair, or being helped out of a chair, or walking on the floor with his hands because it was convenient. Somewhere along the line Jesus, in a moment of mortality, cracked the slightest of smile and the world would have been better knowing it.

Perhaps that is what christianity lacks, one person bucking the trend and painting Jesus, with a beer gut and a smile.
    edited June 2009
    The iconic Christ is in many instances based on Isaiah 53's three references to the burden of grief the messiah was to bear.

My present thought fo you, Dude, is why can't we choose to turn any mental "afflictions" we may have around and make them work for us, rather than against us. In other words, why not consider the odd quirks people sometimes have as avenues to new discoveries rather than as dead ends? Though true that some roads in life are one-way-only, many of these are still uncharted or begging for more traffic.

I know I have my oddities, but I look around and get involved with people and I find meaning and joy in what I do. My niche is nursing and my quirks help me much more than they hold me back.

Don't listen to anyone more than you listen to yourself --just make sure you're being truthful. If you're at a complete loss, ask someone you trust or listen to someone who gives you a critique on yourself, so long as the person does it in a gentle way. If it's not gentle, it probably won't be either thoughtful or true.

I'm convinced Jesus certainly did laugh! The paintings we see of him are only an artists conception of him. If we weren't meant to laugh and be happy, what's the point of having the physical ability to do it?
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited June 2009
    federica wrote: »

So I'm guessing you'll never be accused of being in short supply!!! :)
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited June 2009
    The Dude wrote: »
    Perhaps that is what christianity lacks, one person bucking the trend and painting Jesus, with a beer gut and a smile.

If you've never seen it, the play "Jesus Christ:Superstar" did exactly that. It "humanized" Jesus, brought him down out of the stained-glass windows, and made him accessible to the masses. A human man, with human frailties, whom I'm sure laughed and cried just like us. In the supreme effort launched by the early church to imbue divinity to Jesus, he lost much of his "humanity" I feel. An action I'm sure that did not make Jesus laugh!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2009
    hmm... I am going to stick to my previous assumption that the sunglasses have given you a way. :)

... oh, and the quote thanking god for maintaining atheist status. Good sarcasm is always in short supply.

Dang! Busted again! But the sunglasses were because it was very bright in India (where the picture was taken).

Palzang
  • edited June 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    Well, I never give in to frivolity. I am totally, completely serious every minute of the day. No, really! :rolleyesc

Palzang

lol:lol:
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Dude!

Well you know I never thought about it but you're right there is a lot of humour here and thank goodness!

On another site I was a member of (and that I left owing to a very high windbag ratio - lol) there was a quote where a lama had been asked what buddhism was.

Instead of some intense explanation he simply replied "buddhism is 'laughing all the time'" and I think that's just perfect. And true :)
  • edited June 2009
    Whatever the reason, I'm grateful for the humor around here. I just wish that Palzang wouldn't be so serious all of the time. :)

~nomad
    edited June 2009
    one thing that I find interesting, on this forum and on other buddhist forums I have come across is the often humorous take used by a lot of the poster's reply, not only in regards to themselves but to buddhism itself. Not in a way that is making fun of buddhism, but that shows buddhism has a certain levity that say a guilt based religious system like catholicism doesn't seem to carry.

does this make sense to anyone? and if so, why do you suppose that is?

I see you're still here, Dude, having recently posted in the Attic. Hope you're enjoying your time here.

Another part of this over-seriousness/levity split, I think, is a matter of how secure people feel in their religious/spiritual philosophy or how insecure. Now the truths of the uniqueness of particular manifestations of godliness are not self-evident, as demonstrably the truths of Buddhism and other more cerebral faiths are. If your religious or spiritual ideology is built upon an unassailable foundation, you will probably be secure enough to withstand someone poking gentle fun at some of your incongruities. To be human is to be inconsistent and at least a bit fickle sometimes. To have to protect the assertions of what sometimes has preposterous implications maketh one have to speak with forkèd tongue.

I like the wonderful enlightened statement by some wonderful Eastern sage who said that "God [or ultimate Truth] is not so stingy as to have only one revelation of himself [itself]." I can't argue with what she said. It's much like what Mirabai said about having to adhere to narrow definitions of propriety:
    I have felt the sway of the elephant's shoulders;
    and now you want me to climb on that jackass? Try
    to be serious.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2009
    People here are quite lovely.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2009
    sara wrote: »
    On another site I was a member of (and that I left owing to a very high windbag ratio - lol) there was a quote where a lama had been asked what buddhism was.

Instead of some intense explanation he simply replied "buddhism is 'laughing all the time'" and I think that's just perfect. And true :)

An interview genkaku did with his teacher --

zenabbot.jpg

Q. Are the approaches to Zen different in Japan and America?
    A. NOOOOOO! Everyone has happy time. Everyone is laughing!

Zen Abbott Interview
  • edited June 2009
    Thank you !! I love that :)