Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

intro book? -details

edited June 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I'm looking for a intro book or webpage to buddhism. I want something that is as close to buddha's words as possible. However I would like it to be a little easier to understand. I don't want it to be 3rd hand. Personally, I don't want to become a buddhist, I would much rather gather some of a buddhist philosophy and add it to my own. Right now, I consider myself agnostic/atheist. I do not believe in organized religion, I rather believe its the downfall of humanity. I do believe in the big man upstairs but in no catholic/protestant/christian sense. Although, I know buddhism does not believe in any higher power, I would expect that I would not get any e-rage from anyone of you. Thanks.

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Oximus

The Buddha's words take up many volumes.

However, you many start here with a summary in the Maha-mangala Sutta.

:)
    edited June 2009
    Whilst having a rather serious tone, you may read The Dhammapada.

edited June 2009
    Then if one wishes to do some serious reading, try the Anguttara Nikaya, which has a large variety of teachings on different levels, that is, regarding home economics, relationships, morality, meditation and core teachings about ending suffering.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    And this is nothing short of brilliant.
    Of course, I would say that..... :rolleyes:
    I had the privilege of proofreading it, and I enjoyed immensely!:D
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited June 2009
    federica wrote: »
    And this is nothing short of brilliant.
    Of course, I would say that..... :rolleyes:
    I had the privilege of proofreading it, and I enjoyed immensely!:D

Thanks for that link... I have downloaded the PDF, and am looking forward to reading it.
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Many years ago I first read, :What The Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula. It is something of a classic but perhaps not for modern tastes. It is readily available from both amazon.com or bn.com.

grackle
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    LesC wrote: »
    Thanks for that link... I have downloaded the PDF, and am looking forward to reading it.

That link actually may contain the version I had not yet proofread.
    Try this link instead.
    It's full of brilliant stuff.
    For the version that has definitely been proofread, scroll down to E-Books....
    It's the "New!" version.....

Enjoy!!