Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Advice needed...

I'm very much considering buddhism as a new way of life, many of the values fit in with my own personal ones, and it makes so much more sense to me than other faith groups. Which do u feel would be the best way to explore this faith? Through reading texts, self-help guides, or meeting people/going to temples? I'm interested in doing all of these, mostly meeting other people who practise Buddhism at the moment, however, I live in a small village, near a town, and there is only one group that meet weekly just to meditate. Do you think this would be beneficial to attend for meditation, or should I "study" a little more first? I think I might not benefit from the meditation without a working knowledge maybe. Any advice anyone?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    I think initially you should read and absorb as much as you can - primarily about the basics (The Four Noble Truths, The Eightfold Path, the 5 Precepts) and learn about those and gain some understanding and insight....Talk to people on forums, and learn about the different traditions and schools...But don't feel you have to commit to any specific tradition just yet. It took me nigh on 20 years to plant my flag... and this is not unusual.

This is a good read, and there's plenty of books and literature available for you to glean a lot of knowledge from....
    Above all, never hesitate to ask questions. We'll either reply or point you in the 'right' direction, for you to investigate everything to your satisfaction....

Welcome to our home!! ;)
  • edited June 2009
    I think you shouldn't think about it. A movement of sorts has started within you and subconsciously you'll be attracted to all things buddhist for at least a while to come.

I say sit with yourself for 20 minutes every day. Observe what comes up.
    Practice loving kindness (including towards yourself)
    Develop a loving, supple heart, a listening ear and a generosity of spirit

And if you also get time to read books then great.
    If not you'll already be creating and receiving some wonderful energies and karma and that's got to be worth more than 100 books.
  • edited June 2009
    there is only one group that meet weekly just to meditate.

Hi tFP,
    What sort of group are they?
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks for the welcome and the helpful reading Federica, I've just sat my last A level Literature exam so it was nice to absorb something simple and meaningful. And as for the advice Sara, when you say "sit with yourself", is that intended in a meditative sense? I have one of the most ridiculously wandering minds, so should I be trying to focus on something in particular?
    In reply to your question srivijaya, it doesn't say on their details, it was very limited, just said meeting once a week at a time and place. Does it matter what sort of group they are?
  • edited June 2009
    Hello, I can't offer anything constructive as I am new to this whole Buddhism thing. Literally at like day 5 or what have you but I wanted to mention that I really liked your tree icon. I like the modesty of the artist to have it inform us of it's origins in case there was a discrepancy. If only Picasso followed that same ethos maybe more of us would be into abstract art.
  • edited June 2009
    In reply to your question srivijaya, it doesn't say on their details, it was very limited, just said meeting once a week at a time and place. Does it matter what sort of group they are?

Hi tFP,
    I was just curious, as the teachings may reflect a particular tradition and give us some idea of what they're doing there. It doesn't matter.

Namaste
  • edited June 2009
    The Dude wrote: »
    Hello, I can't offer anything constructive as I am new to this whole Buddhism thing. Literally at like day 5 or what have you but I wanted to mention that I really liked your tree icon. I like the modesty of the artist to have it inform us of it's origins in case there was a discrepancy. If only Picasso followed that same ethos maybe more of us would be into abstract art.

HAHAHAHAHAHA