Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

11 year old is reincarnated WWII fighter

edited June 2009 in Buddhism Today
http://www.fox8.com/wjw-reincarnation-txt%2C0%2C1190900.story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWCUjx4nI98&feature=player_embedded
It is being called the most documented case of reincarnation ever.

A little boy is able to recall over 50 memories from someone else's life.

A World War II Pilot's family believes it is their reincarnated brother based on the child's memories.

The boy's story is so compelling, it has been published in a new book called "Soul Survivor."

Fox 8's Suzanne Stratford spoke exclusively to the child and his family.

Discuss.

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2009
    There are actually many cases like this one. I saw a website once, but I don't remember where. But it is not at all unusual. The truth is out there...

Palzang
  • edited June 2009
    I'll withhold my belief. How hard would it be exactly for an 11 year old to "remember" a past life by simply watching too many war movies or the History Channel? I had a pretty wild imagination back then too.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    The fact is, that he also recalls events from the Pilot's previous life. They don't all entail active service. Some of them are private and personal.....How would he know about those?

http://www.soulsurvivor-book.com/
  • TravisMagoTravisMago Explorer
    edited June 2009
    If it is true, it would not necessarily be reincarnation but perhaps rebirth.

but I don't believe things just because it is written somewhere, regardless of how compelling.
  • edited June 2009
    TravisMago wrote: »
    If it is true, it would not necessarily be reincarnation but perhaps rebirth.

This could be true. Perhaps the measure of both is merely how much you can carry over from a previous life. Self-identification, memory etc. alter things I guess.
  • TravisMagoTravisMago Explorer
    edited June 2009
    yes I absolutely agree
    I was actually just about to come here and add that hah
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2009
    I'll withhold my belief. How hard would it be exactly for an 11 year old to "remember" a past life by simply watching too many war movies or the History Channel? I had a pretty wild imagination back then too.

"I'll withhold my belief." KOB, that sounds very strange to me. I must admit I've never heard that before. I thought belief was something more organic, not unlike giving an entire part of ourselves over into some reality. In other words, one believes into things more than in them, in much the same way that the word "interested" conveys the sense of inter-esse, "being between" that estate that pulls your attention to it and your own creaturely one.

Some people are interested only in food, others only in NASCAR, others only in making money. They're all generally harmless, for the most part. It's the people who dismiss all data out of the scope of their particular experience that frighten me. Yes, closed minds frighten me because, by very definition, they are prejudiced against probing for truth or understanding. In a reflective life understanding is paramount. "Understanding" implies going and dwelling under something awhile, attending to it with great care, and by such undistracted observation coming to know it more fully.

I must admit that I'm too busy to have looked into this particular matter, but I do have a lifetime's experience that teaches me that "miracles" or lesser miracles happen whether you believe in them or not. I believe a "lesser miracle," for lack of a better term, is simply something inexplicable whose pattern or cause simply is lost to the denizens of a market-world where everything has a price but where inestimable treasures lie buried for lack of effort on our part even to follow simple pointers.

I don't mean any of this in any way other than as a counterbalance to what you said. None of the above was meant personally, as I don't know you. I'm just trying to examine some issues relating to differences in thinking temperaments. I realize that no one pattern is correct, and that we're pretty much stuck with the ones we've got. However, we must question the way we think sometimes and try to emphasize aspects that are most important to ourselves --on the long road to Self-discovery (in the universal sense).
  • edited June 2009
    "I'll withhold my belief." KOB, that sounds very strange to me. I must admit I've never heard that before.

Well I guess it would be a matter of semantics for me to debate that much. I mean, I believe the sun will rise tomorrow and I will wake up. I put a pretty good amount of stock in both of these propositions.

Some people are interested only in food, others only in NASCAR, others only in making money. They're all generally harmless, for the most part. It's the people who dismiss all data out of the scope of their particular experience that frighten me.

Out of all those, I'd say making money is probably my highest priority. I can't see what is "frightening" about someone who is skeptical of things out of the ordinary.
    Yes, closed minds frighten me because, by very definition, they are prejudiced against probing for truth or understanding. In a reflective life understanding is paramount. "Understanding" implies going and dwelling under something awhile, attending to it with great care, and by such undistracted observation coming to know it more fully.

Well fair enough, but would you be as defensive if I were to post an article about some child in need of a Catholic exorcism, and who speaks in foreign and ancient tongues, who by the way is possessed by the devil? Truth be told, if someone were to post that, I would have made the exact same comment. I think it's hocus pocus, and I feel the same way about over-imaginative children "remembering" past lives.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Always good to hear your voice, Sir KOB!

I hope you're having a great summer, and that it's a little heaven on earth. Oh how I love Ohio (and Michigan and Minnesota) in the summer!

Namaste

Nirvy
  • edited June 2009
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Always good to hear your voice, Sir KOB!

I hope you're having a great summer, and that it's a little heaven on earth. Oh how I love Ohio (and Michigan and Minnesota) in the summer!

Namaste

Nirvy

The summers aren't bad here, but the winters are merciless. I can't wait to move south someday!
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2009
    The Old Testament in the Bible is interesting. Here were have a man named Abraham, where his "God" was always talking to him. Even his wife thought he was strange.

My cynical view is there are always beings with psychic powers transmitting thought messages into malleable minds.

Beings with siddhis find children they regard as malleable and place thought messages in their minds.

As the Jesuits say: "Give me a child up to 7 years of age and I can mould him for life".

As demonstrated by the young Spaniard Osel, their experiments do not always come to fruition.

:)
    Malleable

1: capable of being extended or shaped by beating with a hammer or by the pressure of rollers

2 a: capable of being altered or controlled by outside forces or influences

b: having a capacity for adaptive change

20zo39d.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    This was recently on Coast to Coast with George Noory. I believe I was my Great Grandmother in my previous incarnation on this planet. I have always had an infinity for Green Peppers and for growing the plants in my flower garden. I just passed it off as normal untill I read a book on the family history which dated back to the 17th century. There is a whole chapter on my Great Grandmother..one story in particular made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. She always prided herself on her patch of Green Pepper plants! After finishing the book and becomming intrigued by family history, I looked up the family cemetary and had a visit. On the far left was my dear Aunt Lauras grave...I said hello to her, then moved on down the line...bla bla bla....I felt a connection to each grave......yet when I reached my Great Grandmothers grave, it was the most bizaar feeling...like total nothingness.......like there was nothing there. Maybe I'm just believing in a fairy tale, but I like to believe it and I think it's nice.