Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Buddha was a black man..."

GlowGlow Veteran
edited July 2009 in Buddhism Basics
So, yesterday, I came across a woman's video on Youtube, where she says the Buddha was black. While the race of the historical Buddha is irrelevant to the message of Buddhism, I did find it a bit odd. Curious, I Googled "buddha was black" and eventually came to this site and this thread from another forum.

Yes, it's weird. But what strikes me most is the use of Buddhism to perpetuate divisiveness, based on something as anatta as race.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Glow wrote: »
    So, yesterday, I came across a woman's video on Youtube, where she says the Buddha was black. While the race of the historical Buddha is irrelevant to the message of Buddhism, I did find it a bit odd. Curious, I Googled "buddha was black" and eventually came to this site and this thread from another forum.

Yes, it's weird. But what strikes me most is the use of Buddhism to perpetuate divisiveness, based on something as anatta as race.

Hi Glow,
    There are occasional spates of claims that historical personages were black; Jesus, ancient Greeks etc. I suppose some people feel the need to bolster their identity with such claims but it's a big political and racist stew that gets people nowhere in the end.

The only good thing that may come from it, is that a few individuals may be curious enough to investigate the teachings of Buddha and, thus, derive some benefit from them.

There can be many doors to the Dharma, and some of them pretty odd at that.

Namaste
  • edited June 2009
    I don't understand when people do this. For instance, I was raised in a Catholic family, but I have never felt exuberant when I hear of a Catholic reaching some place of social significance. The same is true of anyone who is white. I couldn't care less what people of my similar background accomplish. I am much more interested in a person's values. Do I actually agree with them...vs...do they look like me?
  • edited June 2009
    Quite interesting. If you read the thread in your second link, you will see a sensible and valid refutation of the "Buddha is black" premise. Thanks for bringing this up because I never realised that there are those who make such claims.

It should be noted, however, that the Pali suttas describe the Buddhas skin as being golden in colour. So I guess neither white nor black. Or maybe both white and black! :eek:

In any case, as others point out, the colour of the Buddha's skin does not change the dhamma.

Kind Regards,

Vangelis
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the replies all! I definitely agree with the general sentiment that this is mostly personal politics. That people feel the need to claim the Buddha looked like them to feel somehow vindicated is sad.

BTW, I left a comment on that woman's video, and received the following message: "your ignorance on the founder of buddhism is sadly typical of those reared under western racism and capitalism. my suggestion is to google a pic or better yet read a book to dispel the obvious eurocentric indoctrination swimming about in ur brain."

I don't quite know what to say to this.
  • edited June 2009
    Hi Glow,
    What can you say? Looks like some people still don't understand the simple wish that Martin Luther uttered when he said that he looked forward to a time when people are judged on the content of their character, rather than the colour of their skin, or in this instance 'content of their teachings'.

In any case, if you take a look at Tibetan iconography, Buddhas come in a variety of genders and colours.

As a "western racist and capitalist" I find this wonderfully considerate, as there's always bound to be one which wonderfully blends with any household colour scheme.:rolleyesc

That last bit's just a joke okay before anyone kicks off.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Form is just form, it is one element, but it is not the whole truth of our existence of course. _/|\_

Sorry to hear that, Glow, sometimes it is better just not to engage with people who are just where they are.
    edited June 2009
    The Buddha asked Subhuti "What do you think Subhuti, can you recognise the Tathagata through form?" This is a test question, he asks it to make sure that Subhuti has understood the teaching. Subhuti said: "No, World Honoured One, it is impossible to perceive the Tathagata by means of form. Because what the Tathagata calls form is not in fact form, that is why it is called form" (section 5). A is not A, therefore it is truly A. Subhuti has learned the language, the dialectic of the Diamond Sutra. He has learned that the teaching of the Diamond Sutra is not the same as the principle of identity. The dialectic of the Diamond Sutra is: A is not A, therefore it is truly A.

When the Buddha heard Subhuti say that form is not form, therefore it is truly form, the Tathagata knows that Subhuti is about to understand his teaching, and he says: "In a place where there is something that can be distinguished by signs, in that place there is deception. If you can see the sign-less nature of signs, then you can see the Tathagata."(5) So when you can see the non-A elements in A then you can see the true A. When you see the non-form of everything then you can see the Tathagata. This phrase is very beautiful, very well known.

Dharma Talk by the Very Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh - The Diamond Sutra
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for your thoughtful responses srivijaya and Floating Abu. I received that message from her several days ago and didn't response. (I don't intend to.) Hopefully this person will someday outgrow her reactionary politics, and maybe learn a bit of dhamma in the process.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited July 2009
    I just find it funny that people keep referring to these important religious figures as "black" when the inferrance is of African decent, even though the dark skin of both Jesus and Buddha had to do with their respective Middle Eastern and Indian heritage.
    edited July 2009
    What is common to all skin types and color though. What is the essence of us all.
  • edited July 2009
    srivijaya wrote: »
    Hi Glow,
    The only good thing that may come from it, is that a few individuals may be curious enough to investigate the teachings of Buddha and, thus, derive some benefit from them.

There can be many doors to the Dharma, and some of them pretty odd at that.

How true, what a fascinating way of seeing it!
  • edited July 2009
    I don't understand when people do this. For instance, I was raised in a Catholic family, but I have never felt exuberant when I hear of a Catholic reaching some place of social significance. The same is true of anyone who is white. I couldn't care less what people of my similar background accomplish. I am much more interested in a person's values. Do I actually agree with them...vs...do they look like me?

Well yeah... But I think that we also have the collective consciousness of other white people and we inherently know that most famous people, figures of cultural, economic, spiritual and political significance are also white in the Northern Hemisphere.

I can imagine that were I black, this would be an issue for me.
  • edited July 2009
    sara wrote: »
    we inherently know that most famous people, figures of cultural, economic, spiritual and political significance are also white in the Northern Hemisphere.

I'm not sure this is true.