Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

coffee with Buddha

edited June 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Somehow this mock interview book "Coffee with Buddha" has been the spring that has opened the door of Buddhism for me. In the most simplistic conversational manner I am beginning to understand.

Finally... now if I could just figure out if I am a believer in the theravadan or mahayanan school I would be even further along. Oh well... baby steps.

Comments

• LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Hmmmm... I'm gonna have to go look for that... I like to have books around that introduce Buddhism, so I can share with my non-Buddhist friends!!
  • edited June 2009
    The Dude wrote: »
    now if I could just figure out if I am a believer in the theravadan or mahayanan school I would be even further along. Oh well... baby steps.

I figure I'm happy being a Mahavadan.
  • edited June 2009
    LesC wrote: »
    Hmmmm... I'm gonna have to go look for that... I like to have books around that introduce Buddhism, so I can share with my non-Buddhist friends!!

This will fit the bill nicely. It's very casual.
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited June 2009
    Somehow this mock interview book "Coffee with Buddha" has been the spring that has opened the door of Buddhism for me. In the most simplistic conversational manner I am beginning to understand.

Finally... now if I could just figure out if I am a believer in the theravadan or mahayanan school I would be even further along. Oh well... baby steps.

I wouldn’t struggle with with tradition you “need” to be in to much. I started my studies off with a book from the Dali Lama and my favorite book "In the Buddhas Words" by <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->Bhikkhu Bodhi, which each teach from different traditions. While I may find myself learning more from the Pali which is of the Theravada tradition I do not conceder myself of either tradition. I study from books that are from many schools of Buddhism. And I attend meditation with a monk from the <st1><st1>NKT</st1> <st1>School</st1></st1>.
    <o></o>
    In truth from my own findings to date I “believe” that all the traditions and schools lead to the same place of liberation. Though I feel a few might take a detour every now and then. When it all comes down to it the very core teachings of the Buddha can be found in all traditions (four noble truths, noble eightfold path, etc.), it’s all the rest that changes from one to another. Don’t let yourself get to hung-up on names and the like, in the end it really doesn’t matter.
    edited June 2009
    This will fit the bill nicely. It's very casual.

I have ordered it from Barnes & Noble... thanks for the tip.
  • edited June 2009
    your welcome. I hope it is what you are looking for.
    edited June 2009
    your welcome. I hope it is what you are looking for.

I'm sure it will be.