Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

giving up sarcasm

edited July 2009 in Buddhism Basics
In the spirit of Right Speech, I am going to attempt to cut down on my sarcasm. This won't be easy, because I appreciate so much satire and the witty sarcastic reply but I realize that often what translates well in New England falls harshly upon ears elsewhere.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    The Dude wrote: »
    In the spirit of Right Speech, I am going to attempt to cut down on my sarcasm. This won't be easy, because I appreciate so much satire and the witty sarcastic reply but I realize that often what translates well in New England falls harshly upon ears elsewhere.

I always find that humour of any kind is a bit hit-and-miss on line. Shouldn't abandon it entirely dude. A bit of pithy sarcasm is just the medicine from time to time.
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Hey Dude,
    I much appreciate the dryness of New England wit and humor. Though it can grate somewhat harshly on those unacustomed to it. I'm a southern boy myself and our regional humor often is not well received outside of Dixie. But then all my homies have Bubba as a first name.

grackle
  • edited June 2009
    thanks everyone. Perhaps cut down is the better option. Just I use sarcasm far too much and while I have a few friends that enjoy it, I find most people just don't get it and actually think I am SERIOUS. Which, well just doesn't work well.
  • edited June 2009
    My husband is Irish and his dry, sometimes sarcastic humor just cracks me right up. I personally love it but I know many people don't know how to take him. I have had times when he has embarrassed me terribly in public and other times the reaction that he gets from some personality types just adds to the humor. Remember it's all in what your intent is....
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited June 2009
    My wife is the Queen of Sarcasm!! So I know what you mean. Suzanne is right, it all depends on intent. Personally I love sarcasm, one of the highest forms of humour. But sadly, some people are missing the 'Humour Gene'.

:lol:
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2009
    LesC wrote: »
    My wife is the Queen of Sarcasm!! So I know what you mean. Suzanne is right, it all depends on intent. Personally I love sarcasm, one of the highest forms of humour. But sadly, some people are missing the 'Humour Gene'.

:lol:

I lived in Boston for well over a decade and despised the so-called humor of the Don Rickles variety. It was used so much that, after a while, you'd begin to see it as insulting. One just has to ration that sort of thing and not wear it out. Yes, it was the Boston Irish who used it and it was just tiresome.

Poking gentle fun can indeed be funny, but constantly rubbing it in is not. The beauty of artful/skillful humor is getting people into a playful, pleasant mood, by focussing on the elements involved in a somewhat changed context. That is not accomplished when one merely makes some sort of exhibition of people's reactions to insults and stuff like that.

IMNSHO, big-mouthed people always talking about other people are trite, and rarely funny. They're windbags, generally. Funny is dealing with the world of ideas first, and with personalities second. Lacking in charitable thought about ideas can be charming; showing contempt for others is, as my beloved grandmother would say, "just common."
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited June 2009
    A wise man once told me, "There are three kinds of people in this world. Small People, Average People and Great People. Small People talk about other people. Average People talk about things. But Great People talk about ideas".

That's pretty much it!

PS: Despite my love of sarcasm, I NEVER liked Don Rickles. I always felt his sarcasm was designed to belittle or hurt. Again... intent is everything.
  • edited June 2009
    I never cared for the humor of Don Rickles either...always thought he was too hurtful to people. Rodney Dangerfield on the other hand.....
  • edited July 2009
    Don't

Without reading everything written before - DON'T

Sarcasm is the language of dreams

When I wake up from a forbidden picture of what life should be ........ the language is sarcasm

When I want to connect with someone and know that they have really understood me, I use sarcasm

The only people who have really hit me in my life - used sarcasm
  • edited July 2009
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    Don't

Without reading everything written before - DON'T

Sarcasm is the language of dreams

When I wake up from a forbidden picture of what life should be ........ the language is sarcasm

When I want to connect with someone and know that they have really understood me, I use sarcasm

The only people who have really hit me in my life - used sarcasm

Bonjour Knitwitch,
    Good to see you again.

Namaste
    Kris
  • edited July 2009
    Yes Bonjour mon ami

So pleased to see you again - you know

It is far far more important than just making things silly - sarcasm is taking everything to its real importance in realism.
  • edited July 2009
    Hello friends - have had a long time to consider this kind of question. Given time in hospital, time when my guts were doing what it said on the tin " gut-rot" (well we couldn't say we didn't know could we?)

So I have had time to say ........ sarcasm? Oh yes, bring it on. It is a friend who forms a shield.

I think I should make a word fielding quarter here - I am wearing my baseball cap and am standing on the mound ....... shoot me those words and I will be happy to make a go at them

At the moment I am giving whack at "you are brave" ............ no, I am not brave. I didn't volunteer for this kind of divvit - not the mental breakdowns, not the physical toughness, not the sheer bloody boredom of going on with going on.
  • edited July 2009
    Sarcasm has been a lifesaver for me on many occasions. I’m not sure that I could live without it.

~nomad
  • edited July 2009
    Sarcasm is my saddle and bridle lovie ............ hang onto it while I make some tea for us both would you?

Nice to have someone here with me
  • edited July 2009
    Sarcasm can be extremly witty - which is why not everyone can pull it off and some just sound bitter, boring and limited.

But I like it very much - and agree with my friends here that INTENT IS EVERYTHING.
  • edited July 2009
    When I was young, I was the 'queen of sarcasm'. But gave it up in midlife after realizing that pithy repartee didn't require it; I came to see, at least in my case, that it was merely ego on display.
  • edited July 2009
    Hey everybody,

I am very definitely not American, so maybe I get this wrong, but:

Why not switch from sarcasm to irony?
  • edited July 2009
    Hi Norbu and WELCOME btw :) !!

Well, interesting question that the more literary-minded might help with. When I was in France I really had difficulty explaining the difference between the two.

They could not get sarcasm labelling everything ironic.

Now, I am sure that technically the two words stem from totally different origins but not being very good with actual grammar I cannot exlain this...

Simon would be good here. Are you there dear?
  • edited July 2009
    sara wrote: »
    Well, interesting question that the more literary-minded might help with. When I was in France I really had difficulty explaining the difference between the two.

They could not get sarcasm labelling everything ironic.

Hi Sara, and thanks for the warm welcome. It is my guess that those two words have different connotations in every single language, moreover, even in different cultures using the same (or almost the same) language. For instance, irony might mean something entirely different in the UK as opposed to the US; and something different again in France. For instance, the word is unknown in Germany (NO! I am just being this nasty Austrian, always making fun of Big Brother in the Northwest....:D) whereas in Austria it is sometimes not easy to say anything non-ironically (which is a typical Austrian exaggeration again :rolleyes: [love the variety of those smilies]).

But getting back to the original Dude and his vow: I think it would be good to turn sarcasm (which at least in my understanding bears the possibility of hurting others) into irony (which is more of the family of wisdom, potentially). So, Dude, and everyone, how is that for a vow? In the spirit of Right ironic speech? I mean it (ironically, of course).

Cheers, Norbu
  • edited July 2009
    The Dude wrote: »

Just wanted to add that, maybe, it is not a surprise that my best friend from the US originated from Boston... :)