Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

zen buddhism

edited June 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Can someone give me a practical sort of day to day account of what would make you a zen buddhist as opposed to say a theravadan?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    It's very simple.
    Zen cuts to the heart of being by perceiving the emptiness and stillness in being in the present moment.
    All is unnecessary, everything drops away until, 'it is'.
    And even this 'is-ness' is not there.
  • edited June 2009
    yeah, Zen... I need whatever will put me in the present moment.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Er... where else could you be?
  • edited June 2009
    in the future. the past can be repressed. fantasy can numb the present, but the future, what cannot be known, is the worst place to be.
    edited June 2009
    Then don't try to go there. Nobody's forcing you.
    Stay precisely where you are, and don't venture through a door that has no exit.
    Isn't that rather pointless?
    It causes an entirely self-made anxiety which is utterly self-defeating.

Have you read Eckhart Tolle's 'The Power of Now'?
    It's actually not bad.....
  • edited June 2009
    I think Zen Buddhism don´t believe in reencarnation and karma.

It´s more skeptical than the usual buddhism.

Is it true?
    edited June 2009
    Zen Answer:
    It doesn't matter.
    if a question has an answer it will come.
    If a question has no answer it will not come.
    But waiting for either is a waste of time.

Living mindfully, is the focus.
    Avoiding trouble, is the focus.
    Being in the Present moment is the focus.
  • edited June 2009
    Zen is for me. Back to the bookstore!
    edited June 2009
    :D

You go, dude!
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2009
    The Dude wrote: »
    Can someone give me a practical sort of day to day account of what would make you a zen buddhist as opposed to say a theravadan?

Yes _/|\_

There are many Zen Buddhists who practice zazen on a daily basis.

There is oft an alter, zazen2.jpg incense, bowing.

Time is allocated for this.

We oft practice in Sanghas, with teachers.

Some Zen students take up formal koan practice, for others the daily koans of life are enough.

Zen is oft seen as a contemplative practice, underlied by silence, respect and care.

The journey of a thousand miles, starts with the first step, and we always learn how to take that first step again and again, perhaps for a long time.

_/|\_

With regards to the Theravadan school, there are many traditions in this school. Ones like the Thai Forest Tradition are probably more practice oriented - Eightfold Path, Dhamma talks and contemplation, meditation. I cannot talk to more than that.

As with all things, sometimes the best way to find out is to seek out. There are many Zen and Theravadan centres and teachers around. And yes, books as well.

Best wishes,

Abu