Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

without a teacher?

edited July 2009 in Buddhism Basics
is there any instance where once becomes a Buddha without the help of a teacher? I am just not the teacher/student type.

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2009
    I think you just alluded to the classic example.
  • edited June 2009
    I have never learned well from teachers. While attending college I never went to lectures and always finished Dean's list. Taught myself to play the banjo. Taught myself how to play chess. I just don't get the same thing from the human interaction. Mind you, I love discussions, but to sit and listen while someone else teaches is just hard for me. I need it in front of me, where I can review the words at my own pace.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited June 2009
    You mean become enlightened? No, that doesn't happen. Even Buddha had teachers. The reason why you need a teacher is that the essential point of Buddhism is beyond concept and can only be shown by someone who has realized it before. You can practice some meditations on your own, but to get very far you need a teacher.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2009
    The Dude wrote: »
    is there any instance where once becomes a Buddha without the help of a teacher? I am just not the teacher/student type.

Yes. In Theravada, they're called solitary Buddhas (paccekabuddha). However, the general consensus is that it's not easy to become enlightened without a teacher.
  • edited June 2009
    Is anything worth having ever easy to attain? I guess the second part is how formal does the teacher have to be? Can I teacher teach through a book or does it have to be someone that has been met with in person?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    M\ybe what you mean is a formal, 'sit down and learn, and listen to me' teacher.
    I've never had one of those either, in all my years as a Buddhist.
    I guess it shows at times, but I don't feel as if I have personally suffered greatly.
    Everyone I meet is a teacher, in a way.
    Every book I read, and everything I come across, takes me one or two steps forward....
    So stay calm, and relax.
    It's cool. :cool:
  • edited June 2009
    as always thank you Federica!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Is anything worth having ever easy to attain? I guess the second part is how formal does the teacher have to be? Can I teacher teach through a book or does it have to be someone that has been met with in person?

That's entirely up to you.
  • edited June 2009
    federica wrote: »
    Everyone I meet is a teacher, in a way.
    Every book I read, and everything I come across, takes me one or two steps forward....
    So stay calm, and relax.
    It's cool. :cool:

I agree with this. Different strokes for different folks dude. Do it the way you feel comfortable with. I haven't had a teacher for many years now and I have made progress without one, so it's possible and not even that difficult IMHO.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2009

If you are able to meet an enlightened teacher, then the advice and guidance is invaluable. For an advanced practitioner, there are many nooks and crannies that are not evident to the eye. I would not underestimate the value of guidance, and the subtleties and layers that are available to the Dhamma practitioner. Only a truly Awakened individual who has walked this path will be able to impart and guide appropriately, in my opinion. If you wanted to cook some eggs, you might do it yourself or follow a cookbook but if you wanted to master the art of advanced cuisine, I don't think it would always be enough. Be careful of arrogance also. All IMO.
  • edited June 2009
    Be careful of arrogance also.

Phew! That's a tough one :)
    edited June 2009
    srivijaya wrote: »
    Phew! That's a tough one :)

No! I'm right! ;)
  • edited July 2009
    I'm curious to know why you're not a student/ teacher person...

Sorry the psychoanalytical thing resurfaces, but it's an interesting comment for someone to make.

Do you trust anyone enough to be your teacher?

Personally I don't although I let buddhism itself be my teacher and if I could find a teacher on this earth I would love and cherish the opportunity.

I know what it's like to be autodidacte and self-sufficient and there is a certain amount of pride in people like that, like us :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    While there are such things as beings who attain enlightenment without a teacher per se (called pratyekabuddhas), I wouldn't advise it. As others have pointed out, the idea that you (being a special person and all) have no need of a teacher is just a bunch of ego-clinging swill, to put it gently. :rolleyes: At some point you have to come to the realization that you are just like everybody else and that your problems and "personality" are just like everybody else's problems and dramas. They're just obstacles to overcome.

Now there are different approaches to what having a teacher mean. In Theravada, usually the idea of having a teacher is to follow the words of the Buddha. In other traditions, it is having a living being as a teacher. They're really just different variations on the same theme as Buddha is Buddha. The point is to find the one that resonates with you and works the best for you. But whatever way you choose, it is always important to remember that this is not a journey that you can make yourself alone. You need a virtuous guide or you will become completely and totally lost. In that case, better to sit home and watch TV and drink beer...

Palzang
  • edited July 2009
    the reason why I am not a student/teacher person is in the interaction. I tend to take information in much better from a written source, say a book. I imagine that if the teacher were to write it down there would be no difference. I digest the information, but then often return to it to make sure what I have read is true. Without that record, I have a hard time remembering what has occured. I have tried notetaking, but my heart just isn't in it.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    I think the problem you're having, dude, is that you don't actually understand the student/teacher relationship in Buddhism. It's not like you think at all. You may want to read the book called Dangerous Friend: The Teacher-Student Relationship in Vajrayana Buddhism for a Tibetan Buddhist view on it. Obviously it's somewhat different in other traditions.

Palzang
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    If you were studying Buddhism as an academic discipline, your point would be valid. But we're talking about practicing Buddhism, which is another matter entirely. Each of us has our blind spot, and because we can't see it, it warps our practice. We need someone else, who can see our blind spot, to keep us going in the right direction.

For example, someone who is very competitive will take up the practice of meditation in a competitive way. "I'm going to be the best meditator and sit straighter and longer than anyone else!" And then they're constantly checking and comparing themselves to everyone else. Practicing with this attitude will not get you very far. A teacher will see this and gently prick the bubble of self importance. But without a teacher, thet person will take a long time to see their fault, if ever.
  • edited July 2009
    Palzang, thank you. I will read that book.
  • edited July 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    it is always important to remember that this is not a journey that you can make yourself alone. You need a virtuous guide or you will become completely and totally lost. In that case, better to sit home and watch TV and drink beer...

Man, that's defeatist! There is a great deal a person can do by themselves outside of the classic teacher / student paradigm.

Nowadays there is a bounty of information out there which can be accessed and applied. Admittedly, this takes some effort and it can be a very lonesome approach but ultimately, "you" have to do it for yourself anyway.
    The Dharma is also in the wire if you look, so even in this regard you are not entirely alone.

Now if you happen to live close to a great Dharma centre with wonderful teachers and friendly participants, then you'd be silly not to check it out and perhaps benefit from it. On the other hand if you don't then you have to use other means, not just give up and drink beer.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Defeatist? Not at all. If you are serious about getting enlightened, then you will go and find a teacher and not expect one to show up next door. It all depends on where you put your priorities. If you consider other things to be more important, like job, family, school, whatever, that's fine, but then don't sit there and curse the darkness. We all have to live with our choices.

As for being able to accomplish anything meaningful outside the teacher/student relationship, only on a very superficial level. Beyond that you run the very great risk of only increasing your delusion and confusion. I've seen it happen far too often. I know, we're all just too damn proud to admit that maybe we don't have all the answers or that we can't do it by ourselves. However, I would just point out that we've been revolving on the wheel of death and rebirth since time out of mind. How far have we gotten on our own?

Palzang
  • edited July 2009
    I think having an offline teacher is very good when we set out on the path. Books and internet resources don't give that one-to -one interaction.

It's also important to have a meditation teacher for instruction.

However, the teacher shouldn't become some kind of lifetime crutch that we can't think or function by ourselves without.

The teacher points the way, suggests practice, gives feedback, but in the end we still have to make the effort ourselves - and eventually it can be a breath of fresh air to eventually take a leap and find that we can drop those crutches and begin to start walking alone.

_/\_
  • edited July 2009
    If you are serious about getting enlightened, then you will go and find a teacher and not expect one to show up next door.
    I do have a teacher next door - my local NKT centre. There's nothing else for miles around. Do you suggest I start attending?
    If you consider other things to be more important, like job, family, school, whatever, that's fine, but then don't sit there and curse the darkness.
    I'm not cursing anything.
    We all have to live with our choices.
    So, in other words...
    As for being able to accomplish anything meaningful outside the teacher/student relationship, only on a very superficial level. Beyond that you run the very great risk of only increasing your delusion and confusion.
    ...as a working family man...
    I would just point out that we've been revolving on the wheel of death and rebirth since time out of mind. How far have we gotten on our own?
    ...I can pretty much forget it for this lifetime, unless I alter my priorities, ie. dump the wife and kids and scoot off to Shangri-La?
  • edited July 2009
    "Now there are different approaches to what having a teacher mean. In Theravada, usually the idea of having a teacher is to follow the words of the Buddha. In other traditions, it is having a living being as a teacher."

......which is why I chose to study in the Theravada tradition.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    No need to dump anybody, sri. Although, if you remember the story, that is exactly what the Buddha did, abandoned his wife and newborn son because of his burning desire to end suffering not only for them, but for everyone. He realized that no matter what he did, he couldn't prevent them from growing old, getting sick, and dying. Instead he opted to go for the brass ring and save them and everyone. Fortunately for us, that's exactly what he did. But, you know, why bother, eh?

Palzang
  • edited July 2009
    But, you know, why bother, eh?
    Palzang

You bad boy:rolleyes:
    edited July 2009
    I don't think that's what srivijaya meant