Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hello everyone im new to Buddhism

and i would like to start what can you tell me about Kadampa Buddhism there is a center where i live would this be appropriate for me? :confused:

Thank you.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Hi jupitermadcat,
    It's worth getting acquainted with the controversy surrounding the NKT before getting involved with them. I'm not saying you shouldn't, as I gained many valuable teachings during my time with them, merely that you are not ignorant of the issues surrounding them.

Many Tibetan Buddhists condemn them outright, as the Dali Lama has taken issue with them regarding their continuation of a protector practice called 'Dorje Shugden' but I tend to take a more pragmatic view.

Just get informed and then you will be in a position to make decisions and choices for yourself .

Google up "NKT controversy" for a wealth of information.

Namaste
  • edited June 2009
    Ahh ok sounds like any other disagrement in a religion lol but for myself who is a Christian also who happens to love Buddhism would this be a good starting point? i mean i love and respect the Dalai Lama but sometimes it gets a little too political for me.

Well Christian in a sense that i that i think Jesus was Buddha like and think ALL paths lead somewhere good.
  • edited June 2009
    Ahh ok sounds like any other disagrement in a religion lol but for myself who is a Christian also who happens to love Buddhism would this be a good starting point?
    Hi jupitermadcat,
    As someone investigating Buddhism from a Christian perspective, immersing yourself in an NKT centre (IMHO) could give you a very one-sided view of Buddhism. As guru-worship forms an important part of Tibetan Buddhism, this could be a bit difficult to take on board. There is way more to it than just the NKT or even Tibetan Buddhism. If you compare the situation to the plethora of Christian groups and Churches, you'll get an idea.

A good place to start may be with the Pali suttas (translated of course). Keep it simple and try to get a feeling for the underlying teachings of Buddha. You may find you have many questions, so take it easy. There's no need to throw yourself into any tradition. In fact, as a Christian, why should you?
    i mean i love and respect the Dalai Lama but sometimes it gets a little too political for me.
    Indeed.
    Well Christian in a sense that i that i think Jesus was Buddha like and think ALL paths lead somewhere good.
    There are some threads on here along those lines.

Namaste
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2009
    I personally am not a fan of big controversy groups.

Have a look at World Buddhist Directory for other centres, if you are interested.

Well wishes. _/\_
  • edited June 2009
    have you considered the Universalist Unitarians? They have a Buddhist Fellowship group.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Hello jupitermadcat (expect abbreviations! :D)

You could do a whole lot worse than to read 'Living Buddha Living Christ' by Thich Naht Hanh and also take a look at a very good Book by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, "The Good heart".

To put it bluntly:
    Don't touch kadampa with a bargepole, until you are well acquainted with Buddhism, the central teachings and the essence of Buddhism, which is Understanding - and eliminating - suffering.
  • edited June 2009
    federica wrote: »
    Hello jupitermadcat (expect abbreviations! :D)

You could do a whole lot worse than to read 'Living Buddha Living Christ' by Thich Naht Hanh and also take a look at a very good Book by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, "The Good heart".

To put it bluntly:
    Don't touch kadampa with a bargepole, until you are well acquainted with Buddhism, the central teachings and the essence of Buddhism, which is Understanding - and eliminating - suffering.
    Ok no kadampa what about Zen to begin with?
  • edited July 2009
    take a look at this... perhaps this resembles what you are talking about?

boundlesswayzen.org
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Hello everyone im new to Buddhism

and i would like to start what can you tell me about Kadampa Buddhism there is a center where i live would this be appropriate for me? :confused:

Thank you.

They are as good a place to start as any they have an excellent General programe class and more advanced Foundation programe the monks and nuns are friendly pop in and ask them some question, from the 12 plus years ive been there ive never had a problem.
  • edited July 2009
    Hello and welcome Jupitermadcat,

Whichever centres you go to, investigate very carefully and don't be in a hurry to get too involved straight away.

Its also good to first study Buddha's teachings on the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold path.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    I have attended some NKT activities in Australia and have read and possess a copy of Kelsang Gyatso's book Eight Steps to Happiness: The Buddhist Way of Loving Kindness, which I found very clear & excellent reading.
    Human beings occassionally get into trouble with religion because, instead of seeking to develop their inner resources, they are looking for a group of people to attach to.

If you are interested in checking out the NKT then do so. However, only you can discover for yourself what is appropriate for you.

I must admit however, when I visited the NKT and other Tibetan centres, it was only out of curiosity given I had been involved in another Buddhist tradition for many years. The NKT centre seemed the same as any other Buddhist centre. We did some chanting & meditation, listened to some teachings and sat around afterwards chatting over tea & biscuits. No one tried to chain me up, kidnap me or anything.

:)
  • edited July 2009
    This thread just makes me love NB even more... Any other forum would have deleted Jupe's - Fede said to expect abbreviations :) initial comments or sent you an arsey message from a Mod. on why you shouldn't even bring up the Kadampa thing.

I love you guys for exploring questions and all giving opinions - without quarelling necessarily and just being you.

So thanks and now BACK TO TOPIC :)