Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Cheri Huber

edited July 2009 in Buddhism Basics
What are the opinions of the people on this forum of Cheri Huber? ... and by extension Soto Zen Buddhism in the west?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Sorry, Dude, I'm unfamiliar with Cheri Huber so I can't offer you any opinion one way or the other.
  • edited July 2009
    I guess I will just read and decide then. Thank you for your response.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Her writings seem all right, mostly psychology and not Buddhism, but I can't place my trust in a teacher who is not clear and open about their lineage.
  • edited July 2009
    I myself am having problems with this linneage thing. But in a different manner. To me, this linneage thing hints a little bit of country club Buddhism. Like, here is your pass so you may enter. Is that not what the Catholic Church professes? And on this rock I build my church. Well I prefer not to sit on a rock as it's not comfortable.

I do want to know if Buddhism is truth, how that differs from psychology? Is not psychology just a focused effort to get to the truth of the human condition?
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited July 2009
    The Dude wrote: »
    I myself am having problems with this linneage thing. But in a different manner. To me, this linneage thing hints a little bit of country club Buddhism. Like, here is your pass so you may enter. Is that not what the Catholic Church professes? And on this rock I build my church. Well I prefer not to sit on a rock as it's not comfortable.

I do want to know if Buddhism is truth, how that differs from psychology? Is not psychology just a focused effort to get to the truth of the human condition?

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Buddha said not to believe him, that you should practice what he taught and truly contemplate on there meanings and find them to be true for yourself. Therefore no matter what you read or get as a answer it will not be enough till you search for the truth yourself.
    <o></o>
    However, we are indeed after the truth. And by following the path we become peaceful which to many makes Buddhism seem much more like a philosophy than a religion, because we are increasing happiness and living better. In my humble opinion this is because their experience of dharma never really passes from the book for them. They learn to do nice things which put their minds at ease and possibly rid them of a few delusions, but never truly give up wrongdoings and there for never follow the path to the end and never gain full benefit. To a great many who strive to follow the path see Buddhism more like a religion because it becomes a very deep spiritual practice for us.
    <o></o>
    The dharma is like a treasure map, you can see it, learn it, and memorize it but, it won’t go get the treasure marked at the X for you. You yourself have to take the journey, make the hike, do the labors of digging, and follow the path laid out for you, and so on to get the treasure. For many of us it is this way, we work diligently and work our lives around our practice and follow our map of dharma so we may one day reap the treasure of liberation. In this respect I see it as a religion, though in the end it’s only a title which we have placed meaning in and holds no real impact. Like I said this is only my personal opinion, others may feel differently.
  • edited July 2009
    That was interesting Kenny, thank you. I'd like to take some time to meditate on that.
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited July 2009
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> You are most welcome. I truly hope it helps you in some way. Good luck.