Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question about the Dhammapada

edited July 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hi there,

I picked up a pocket version of the Dhammapada from my local book store.. Its arranged in chapters, with each chapter being like a long poem..

I really love it but im a little confused. In other referances to the Dhammapada that ive seen, it seems to be arranged in verses - with numbers, chapters and some times a commentry.

Id like to get the most comprehensive and accurate version of the Dhammapada i can, but im confused by all the ones available , since they all seem to be differant..

Can anyone reccomend a version ? preferably one thats available on Uk amazon ?? i really love the poetry and wisdom of the book, but i want to make sure im not missing anything...

thanks for any help :)

Comments

• edited July 2009
    hello Channa108,

There's an online version of the Dhammapada here which won't cost you anything. This is a very reliable site for Theravada Buddhism. There are also other alternate translations of the Dhammapada on the same site.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.intro.than.html

I have the book that's the Gil Fronsdal version myself, which I'm very happy with.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited July 2009
    I have "Sayings of the Buddha:The Dhammapada" by Thomas Byron

An online version of this exists at:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/SHALOM/dhammapada.html
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    I also like the Thomas Byron version. Some people think it is a bit flowery but I don't mind flowery myself.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Hi Channa

Most Theravada Buddhists recommend the translation of Buddharakkhita at
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.intro.budd.html

For me, it is very good, except for verse 203., which for me should read: "Hunger is the worst disease, mental concocting (sankhara) is the worst suffering. Knowing this as it really is, the wise realize Nibbana, the highest bliss.

:)
  • edited July 2009
    Thank you for all of the replies so far... ive found the links to be really usefull.. :)

I have a Dhammapada by Tom Byrom and Ram Das that is really poetic and Ive found myself memorising lines without even trying...

From what ive gathered so far - the main differance between all the differant versions is essentialy the way the verses are broken up...

is this correct or are there other differances i should be aware of ??

thank you again for your help :) the Dhammapada really is beautifull and relevant to every day life... im so glad i came across it :)
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Translations can differ from version to version, and those translations can make it appear quiet different, but essentially even with the different grouping it's really all the same.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Channah108 wrote: »
    Thank you for all of the replies so far... ive found the links to be really usefull.. :)

I have a Dhammapada by Tom Byrom and Ram Das that is really poetic and Ive found myself memorising lines without even trying...

From what ive gathered so far - the main differance between all the differant versions is essentialy the way the verses are broken up...

is this correct or are there other differances i should be aware of ??

thank you again for your help :) the Dhammapada really is beautifull and relevant to every day life... im so glad i came across it :)

Yes there are some differences perhaps, but as in any and all readings or meanings, it is the understanding of it that is more important than the words.

Peace.