Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Questions (A few)

edited July 2009 in Buddhism Basics
1: Does an enlightened being always stay enlightened? If so, is it because enlightenment is independant of conditions? Again if so, isnt that kinda against the idea of impermanence? Or is it just the concept that seems to go against impermanence?

2: Does the path towards the ending of suffering not require a desire for peace or an aversion to suffering to follow it?

(I'm gathering that, the answer initially is yes, but the answer down the road may be no.)

Go easy on me! :P

Comments

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Yes initially one wants to walk the path so to speak so I agree that there is some desire/intention upfront.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Enlightenment is permanent, but this does not contradict the statement that all things are impermanent, because enlightenment is not a thing, it is the absence of a thing, the absence of ignorance. Ignorance can cease because it is impermanent and because its cause (another ignorant mental state) is not present in an enlightened mind, it cannot arise again.

Anyone who suffers wants to end suffering. It's when you see that there's no one who suffers that both the suffering and the wish to end it ceases.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Kikujiro wrote: »
    1: Does a [fully] enlightened being always stay enlightened?
    Yes.
    If so, is it because enlightenment is independant of conditions?
    It is because a fully enlightened being has ended greed, hatred & delusion.
    Again if so, isnt that kinda against the idea of impermanence?
    No. This is because the Buddha advised all conditioned things are impermanent but the one unconditioned thing, namely, Nirvana, is permanent.

Nirvana comes when the mind accepts all conditioned things, including one's life, is impermanent and reality cannot be any other way. Acceptance is something which can be permanent (whilst we are alive).
    Does the path towards the ending of suffering not require a desire for peace or an aversion to suffering to follow it?
    Absolutely. The path requires very strong desire. It requires such strong desire that one is willing to drop everything, including that strong desire.

:)
    Go easy on me!

;)
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    1: Does an enlightened being always stay enlightened? If so, is it because enlightenment is independant of conditions? Again if so, isnt that kinda against the idea of impermanence? Or is it just the concept that seems to go against impermanence?

2: Does the path towards the ending of suffering not require a desire for peace or an aversion to suffering to follow it?

(I'm gathering that, the answer initially is yes, but the answer down the road may be no.)

Go easy on me! :P

Enlightenment is always there, like the blue sky, the night sky. It can be covered over in clouds, but the sky itself is untouched. Thus it can be independent of conditions, and also unobscured by conditions, it can co-exist with the clouds but also be free of them all together. This is the realm and transcendence of the true Dharma. However, it takes a bit of time, and a lot of practice to realise what is so easily said with words. More than words, however, we are interested in the genuine beneficence and knowing - genuinely and intimately - within each student of Dhamma. Patience, faith, and never ending perseverence. Even when you have given up. _/|\_

Best wishes.
  • edited July 2009
    Nothing is permanent, all our thoughts ebb and flow, times we are more commited and other times less, without constant effort and focus we loose sight of where we are and are going
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited July 2009
    These questions are complicated, and arise largely from difficulties with the terminology. Do you know what enlightenment is? It's not a good term for what it's intended to represent. Do you know how desire and aversion lead to suffering? With practice and direct experience of the phenomena these words are pointing to, these questions will become clearer to you.

That is correct. It also contradicts the doctrine of nonself. Practice brings an end to becoming, which means an end to being. Thus there is no being to be enlightened, and in fact never was. There is rest, and there is struggle. Practice can bring an end to the struggles of the moment. As its momentum builds, the practice can pervade more and more of life, and there can be more and more rest and less and less struggle. To reach for something beyond resting in and celebrating the experience of the moment is to step outside of and corrupt the practice,

Yes it does. I get the impression from your question that this may be confusing because you understand that desire and aversion are to be avoided. This is not the case, again because the practice leads to the end of suffering in the present moment. Practice transforms desire and aversion, and as a result of this, they do not lead to suffering. There is nothing wrong in principle with returning to practice out of a desire or an aversion. It's only a problem if the practice is corrupted into a grasping or escapist struggle as a result.
  • edited July 2009
    I honestly don't know. And I would advise against taking the answers any one of us have given you as truth. This is probably one of those questions that only a truly enlightened buddha can answer.

Perhaps a buddhist teacher. Even then, choose carefully. Probably, the only way to get an answer to this question is to experience the answer yourself.
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks all. Lots to ponder, and sit and scratch my head over. :confused:
    fivebells wrote: »
    Yes it does. I get the impression from your question that this may be confusing because you understand that desire and aversion are to be avoided. This is not the case, again because the practice leads to the end of suffering in the present moment. Practice transforms desire and aversion, and as a result of this, they do not lead to suffering.

Fivebells, this hit home. I've started to think/realise that its not the removal of craving/aversion that enables a lessening of percieved suffering but, more the understanding and awareness of the craving and aversion causes it to transformation our relationship to it.
    Enlightenment is always there, like the blue sky, the night sky. It can be covered over in clouds, but the sky itself is untouched.

This reminds me of something Alan Watts said about birth. It went something like "We say when we were born that we came into the world, when what we really should be saying is that we came out of this world, there isnt anywhere else to come from"

Much like enlightenment, its always there, we just have to see.

With this in mind I suppose my question was more, if enlightenment is something thats always there/here and all it takes is to realise that. Is there anyway to forget that? Though, that question seems kinda pointless now lol

But, what do i know? :D