Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

how to make offerings to buddha ??

edited July 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hi again,
Im back with another question.

I made a very basic buddha shrine in my room. I have a alter cloth with ''aum'' on it, an old statue of buddha, and a candle, and a small metal cup and plate.

Id like to make offerings of flowers or water to Budda as part of my daily or weekly practise but i have no idea what the procedure is for doing so.

At the hindu temple i go to we say a set prayer after placing the things to be offered in front of the deities.. then we leave it for a few minutes or hours then clap or ring a bell 3 times before removing the offerings.

Im guessing it might be similar in Buddhism but other than that I have no idea...

if any one can tell me just the basics, maybe a basic prayer or mantra for when im offering that would be really great...

I think that i am becoming a buddhist, but i dont want to rush into anything to much..any help or advice for basic things that i can do would be really great...

thank you...