Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Looking for text suggestions

Well, hello new day. Something made a small clicking noise yesterday and I became interested in practice. I want to test out the principals at the heart of Buddhism and see for myself what happens. Prior to this moment, I have been philosophically interested in Buddhism, while also feeling occasionally peaceful when I randomly practiced.

That said I'm looking for some simple, direct texts that deal only with things that Buddha himself said.

Comments

• kennykenny Explorer
    edited July 2009
    There is a sticky post at the top of this section with lots of good books in it.
    <o></o>
    http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14
    <o></o>
    I would suggest starting there.
  • edited July 2009
    Okay, just sifted through nearly all of the above thread. I still have a lot of texts that look interesting, so I may have some more specific questions about books in a day or so. For now, I guess I am going to look at some free texts online and see how mind-boggling I find the experience. I'm all for scholarship, but I don't want to make my brain hurt too much.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm down to these two. Purchasing both is a possibility, but I would love it if I could get comments, suggestions, especially criticisms. I chose these, because they seem to come very close to original source material, but I'm hoping are not too dry or intellectual. I looked at some lovely 2nd/3rd source texts, especially by Thich Naht Hahn and the Dalai Lama, but I think I need to put those off until later. Right now I use them as good advice books, but not practice-forming books. I'd like to do a scientific study of the precepts taught by Buddha. Comments and suggestions, welcome!

In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon, ed. Bhikkhu Bodhi

What the Buddha Taught: Revised and Expanded Edition with Texts from Suttas and Dhammapada, by Walpola Sri Rahula
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited July 2009
    I have read the first one on your list but, not the second. Bhikkhu Bodhi is considered one of the best translators of the Pali Canon which helped me to get this book. A good translation is always essential. He has gathered in this book a kind of essence of the Buddha’s teachings. There is a little bit of everything from what the Buddha taught. He has also organized it into sections which is nice because in the Pali the teachings are all over the place due to the fact the Buddha gave individual teachings to fit the person/s he was talking with. Also at the beginning of each section he has added a commentary to help add insight to what you are about to read. Considering the fact that these teachings are roughly 2500 years old sometimes it can be difficult to grasp there meaning at first.
    <o></o>
    I think this is a wonderful book for learning the closest possible recording of the Buddha’s teachings that we know of. I would suggest though that afterwards you pick up a book from a more recent teacher because they a lot of times show how to apply these teachings to our lives in the world today.
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks, kenny. That was very helpful. It expanded on the information I had already found about the first book. And I have several other books at home that could be read after to help me tie it in to today.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    I think both are excellent, MOC. The one by Walpola Rahula is a very clear, well written explanation of the most basic concepts in Buddhism and an excellent place to start. The solution, of course, is to get both!

Palzang
  • edited July 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    The solution, of course, is to get both!

Done! I found a gift card I'd stored away someplace and purchased them used. :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2009
    I like the Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha myself. I also like anything written by Thanissaro Bhikkhu (as well as his Dhamma talks).
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Hi, MOC.

I think those two choices are excellent and belong in the library of anyone who wishes to study Buddhism. Really good choices!