Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question about suffering/sadness.

edited August 2009 in Buddhism Basics
(Thank you after writing a very long post I answered my own question.)

After having an enlightenment of sorts, I wanted to know why should I go back and help the others who are not awake,?

(since they aren't REALLY suffering,they think they are, so THEY ARE, you know..).

Of course I realized because they are me and I am them, in the past present and future,

I should spread my threads (of karma) and try to make them long, because they will fall on me always,

sorry a lot of what i think is a vicious storm in my mind, i can't even say it right,

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    If we think we have awakened somewhat, it can be useful to ask ourselves how we got there, what was our journey?

You see, if a human being does not see what in buddhism is called suffering & unsatisfactoriness, one really cannot help another.

If one 'advertises' to others: "I have found great happiness", others will chase that idea of happiness rather than seek something other than their own self perceived suffering.

In Buddhism, there are two strands, namely, Theravada & Mahayana.

Theravada gives teachings to those who seek & ask whilst Mahayana wishes to save all beings.

These two distinctions do not exist for no reason. They represent to sets of world views.

:)
  • edited July 2009
    they are caught in the web of samsara, what they don't realize is they are the weaver of the web, they are the spider.. isn't that correct?

So being a spider that doesn't weave anymore and is free of bondage, should i be telling other spiders to stop spinning webs? or its it better to let nature take its course.....is samsara nature? is samsara natural?
    edited July 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    So being a spider that doesn't weave anymore and is free of bondage, should i be telling other spiders to stop spinning webs? or its it better to let nature take its course.....is samsara nature? is samsara natural?
    Samsara is natural. If you wish to share your freedom, it is best to live in or become a member of buddhist centres & communities and to share one's freedom with those who come searching & asking for it.

I would also recommend you read the Dhammapada, especially chapters II, IV, XIII and XV.

Also, after his enlightenment, the Awakened Buddha said:
    'This Dhamma that I have attained is deep, hard to see, hard to realize, peaceful, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. But this generation delights in attachment, is excited by attachment, enjoys attachment. For a generation delighting in attachment, excited by attachment, enjoying attachment, this/that conditionality & dependent co-arising are hard to see. This state, too, is hard to see: the resolution of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Nibbana. And if I were to teach the Dhamma and others would not understand me, that would be tiresome for me, troublesome for me.'

Then, out of compassion for beings, I surveyed the world with the eye of an Awakened One. As I did so, I saw beings with little dust in their eyes and those with much, those with keen faculties and those with dull, those with good attributes and those with bad, those easy to teach and those hard, some of them seeing disgrace & danger in the other world. Just as in a pond of blue or red or white lotuses, some lotuses — born & growing in the water — might flourish while immersed in the water, without rising up from the water; some might stand at an even level with the water; while some might rise up from the water and stand without being smeared by the water — so too, surveying the world with the eye of an Awakened One, I saw beings with little dust in their eyes and those with much, those with keen faculties and those with dull, those with good attributes and those with bad, those easy to teach and those hard, some of them seeing disgrace & danger in the other world.

Ariyapariyesana Sutta

Best wishes

DDhatu

edited August 2009
    Some follow the Lord Buddha's advice. Others follow the advice of Berzin.

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2009
    What you're speaking of is not actually enlightenment, TheFound. You need to talk to a teacher.
  • edited August 2009
    I wish I had a teacher,
    I cant afford it.
    Seriously I would move to anywhere in the world to learn.
    but I have debt.
    it's holding me back.
    so i gotta f*** with no condom if u know what i mean.